Saturday, May 10, 2008

Just keep hoppin'...*

I started this card four days ago!! Still sick, but I managed to creep in here and put the finishing touches before I go crawl back to bed. Glad it looks better than I feel!(IMHO) I started by inking my puddle minus the splash from Just So Hoppy, then masked it with a post it and stamped my Hip hop frog peeping out. Added some grass behind him, the balloon and string, and colored everything with SU! markers and my Aquapainter. My favorite thing is the tossed hat (popped up on a dimensional) I added just a few little motion strokes to make it look like it just left his open hand. To keep my background from looking flat, but not too busy, I stamped the hat all over the Ballet Blue CS in Versamark, turning the stamp as I went to make it look extra-celebratory, a hundred tossed hats!!) Glitterfied everything with Stickles.

Here you see how I began the pierced background.
Again, I was able to do the whole thing quickly without moving it!! I left a band in the middle that would leave a pierced border around my ribbon. Don't these pierced "panels" seem to add a lot of layers to my card?? After I cut my focal point with the Coluzzle and mounted it on my card, I placed my round plastic canvas template on top for the pierced circle border, see top pic. Try out this "piercing sketch" or modify it by offsetting the middle band and your focal point to the left or right, or according to the rule of thirds.

When I decide who to send it to, the last little detail will be to attach a little white die cut tag under the knotted SU! Pumpkin (which I slid through my punched slit)and Wasabi striped ribbons( small strip placed on top of the pumpkin before tying) saying "friend", "son" etc...

Thank you everybody who is busy wishing me better! My body's not listening, but my heart leaps up!

TIP: When to frame up your focal point? When creating a scene like this you can cut first and stamp later, or vice versa. When I have plenty of room on my layout to work with, I stamp first, as I did on this card, the focal [point could have considerably larger or smaller and still worked. If I'd had other layers or embellishments to add, a pretty DP underneath that I wanted a lot of the pattern to show etc, I would have cut my circle first and made my scene work within that space. Make sense? Hope that helps! ;)

*have I already used this title???

PS more piercing tips to come, just need to get them photographed and some special Mother's Day posts to follow!

14 comments:

  1. Very cute. Hope you get to feeling well pretty soon.

    Sure hope you are well enough to enjoy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable, love the piercing. The frog and the little scene are too cute!!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so cute! I love the bg with the hat & the hat he threw off - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope tomorrow you will feel like a new person... no sickness allowed for MOTHERs...
    Cute card... love the circle shape and the piercing... I think I will have to stop at Michael's today and look for that template. :o) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! Love the hat part too! And the piercing, that is awesome! I am now trying to pierce everything I do, thank you! lol!

    Sure hope you feel better soon. Sending you 'get better cyber wishes*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute! What a fun idea!

    Get lots of rest... with all the boys home... haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do more when you are sick than I can do on my "best day"---what is up with that? This card is precious. I LOVE the piercing. I have to get to Michael's---thanks so much for showing that to us--get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww......what a "hoppy" little froggy!! I love the little hat popped up on dimensionals......and I'm just lovin' that piercing!!!

    Now Missy....you get better so you can have a wonderful and enjoyable Mother's Day with your family!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry you are sick! (I might be willing to trade you my episodic kidney stones!! Over a month now...and sick is a very accurate descrption.) Get better soon! LOVE YOUR WORK! Happy Mother's Day! Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is absoleutly adorable.
    You are too clever. I have both Hoppy and Hippy. Will have to try this card if you don't mind.

    Happy Mother's Day

    smallcity

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute card! I love all your piercing!! (on paper I mean, I don't know about your body, LOL!! ;-D ...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, it's scary how productive you are, even when deathly ill. :-) Maybe this will be therapeutic for you! Thanks for sharing -- it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. o mel u have to get to feling more gud 4 moms da them litl bois wil b mising u and so wil evrwon els lice me and the rest of the peps on yor web page

    the card iz so qute al the persing did u pers with a nedle or with a blac pen? ethr wa it iz wa to qute

    merri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melanie, sure hope you're on the mend.

    I love how you used your froggy stamp here!! And piercing is one of my favourite things, so I love seeing how else you are using the patterns. I must go to a sewing shop soon and get one of those piercing mats ...

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)