Friday, June 27, 2008

Any Way You Slice It... Soap on the Go!

Your local market or beauty boutiques around town may carry handmade soaps, I love the rusticity of these sliced-off slabs of soap! (This is the ginormous selection they have at Central Market) I thought it would be fun to create a soap holder from a tin to store your favorite body bar when you're out or travelling. Usually they have a huge slab or brick with pieces pre-sliced and wrapped in plastic, but sometimes you can cut your own to the size you want.* Some are super fun with the colored shapes inside, really festive! :) Either way, just bring your tin with you to check the fit! (You could use other bar soap, too, it just needs to be slim enough to fit in the tin.)




The waterproof labels are the perfect solution to decorate a bathroom or kitchen tin. (Be careful though, they are WATERproof but NOT OIL proof, so don't be getting them gunky with other oily, sticky bathroom products!) I stamped my border in Silver Encore Ink to match my tin on my waterproof label, I think these delicate "metal" lines adds such a an elegant, custom look! I used the "Botanical Dream" set again to match my bathroom, I love this sketchy sprig image, it can look like dried or fresh herbs, or a delicate bunch of flowers! One of my favorite herbal combos is Rosemary and Mint, relaxing and refreshing, so I stamped it in the corner in Mellow Moss, stamped off, and then stamped it again in black and colored in the leaves with my matching moss marker. I added "Dream" with Palette Noir (remember it doesn't matter what ink you use on these, it'll still be waterproof! amazing!!) Next I wanted to make the background match the tile that surrounds my tub, so I sponged over my image with River Rock, Mellow Moss, and Going Gray filling it out , trying to create both some light and dark areas, as well as letting some white show through, and going back in with my SU! Itty Bitty Background speckle stamp in Black and the Mellow Moss(you could also use an air gun), looks a lot like stone in the end and very simple to do! Last, trim, peel and stick!
Inside I added my soap rosemary mint soap and there was still room for clippers.
When you present your gift, a crimped cardstock wrap in Kraft or Confetti or other recycled handmade paper with some raffia would be a beautiful complement to the handmade soap. Think about other toiletries you could add: a nail file, some dried herbs, a bath sachet, tea bag etc. :)

EDITED TO ADD: you can order your tins here, only $1.50 each at Gina K Designs! :)

hee hee, I just noticed if you enlarge the pic you can see a reflection on the faucet of me sitting in the bathtub with my camera !

*if you enlarge the top photo and can read the price on the closest one of over $50 don't let that scare you!! that's for the WHOLE slab, little slices are very affordable, a couple dollars each! :)

16 comments:

  1. mel yor ideas r to di for if i had haf yor talint i wud b thrild cep the mojo floing it iz wundrful
    merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful and a wonderful gift idea. Thanks so much for the guided tour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a terrific idea, and I have never seen SO much soap before. This is a GREAT place to browse let alone shop. I bet the different scents are really neat. I love places like that.

    I just have to tell you your counter looks cool, too. I am #122344 HA!! :) Wonder who will be 123456? (ok, I guess little things amuse me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is PERFECT, Melanie, because I have been needing a travel thingy for soap! And I have the tins now, so I'm inspired (as always) -- thanks!

    p.s. did you see Ian's Tooth Fairy tin that he made himself? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute idea!! I just bought some fantabulous local handmade soap....I wonder if I could ask her to form it to the right size for me??!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! You are sooooooo creative. I wish I had a fun market near by with such yummy soaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now ya know I'm gonna hafta enlarge the pic just to see if you're reflected in the handle! tee hee hee!

    And, where is this market? We'll be passing thru Austin this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I swear your creativity is endless! You really matched your counter well too! I didn't realize you could enlarge the photo, lol, nice picture of you taking a picture!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny you noticed yourself in the picture. . .lol! I think you should sell these tins to Embellish. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adorable idea! The first pharmacy I worked in we carried homemade soaps from a local women and I loved them! I did enlarge the picture too and saw your reflection and laughed out loud. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! You are so very inspirational! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a super idea---look at all that soap!!! VERY COOL< MEL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tin is gorgeous, and what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. no touch kitchen faucet

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)