Saturday, June 7, 2008

Stitches and Buttons and Hatpins, OH MY!

Somebody stop me!!* No, this wasn't for some crazy challenge like Carolyn and her buddies do when you have to include x number of buttons on a card etc, I'd had an idea to use those stitchy border stamps I mentioned a few weeks back with Rupa's little sewing machine, but hadn't decided yet what colors, layout etc. Then I saw a challenge for My Favorite Things (Kim's so nice, she lets you use other stamps for the challenges) to use black cardstock and black embellishments, so I decided to get started**

I began stamping all my rows of a stitches, leaving a space for the "You're a stitch!" greeting (it almost justifies my crazy, over the top card). I used this piece of DP from my DCVW Spring Stack (Donna brought me some Soft Sky CS earlier that day that was a beautiful match for it and I liked the stitching around the flowers) I cut the sewing machine out, colored and covered parts with my Sakura Glaze pen, and mounted it on my Nestie circle(Apricot Appeal) Next I went cah-RAZY with the sewing embellishments! Lots of clear buttons(altered to apricot and black buttons by punching circles of colored CS and gluing behind them) stitched black ribbon, and since i had one,and the card couldn't really get any busier, a hat pin with a pearl and silk flower form the SU! Pretties Kit. One addition I do like is the little button on the sewing machine wheel(whatever that thingy is called! "wheel", is that right?



The Signo White Gel pen is perfect for stitching on dark CS to make a stitched look(because I swear I will never, ever do any real sewing by machine on a card!!*** Check out all the ways I "skirted danger" during this Dirty Dozen challenge "sew" long ago!! hee!) TIP: If you're too lazy to get out the embossing powder, or don't have any, you can go over your hand-drawn or stamped faux stitching with the glaze pen, for a nice dimensional, threaded look. :)


So in the end, I kind of love it, kind of hate it. Either way, this image and greeting are perfect for your all your buttons, bows and sewing tricks :)



Only two more days to enter my contest!! (Have you heard it through the blogging grapevine Donna is NOT entering?? Please give it a try if you would like to be my stamping superstar!!!)


*if this card were a dress, I think Tim Gunn would have told me I needed to "edit" myself a bit, and then "make it work!"




**and found I'd completed my card one hour after the deadline, too late to enter-wahhhh!! oh well, I wouldn't have won anyway.



***unless the stakes were extremely high... like a million dollars.. let me know if you see that offered somewhere, 'kay?

13 comments:

  1. I love this. Too cute with all the stitching and buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. o.k. you've outdone yourself on this one. It's amazing! I love how you used buttons and the stitching stamps to emphasize your main image. Just love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I, for one, LOVE all the embellies and stitching!!! Because my motto is you can NEVER have too much!!! LOL I think the buttons all along the stitching is sooooo fun and adorable!!! I'm sorry I have no idea if that's a "wheel" or not......I do not know how to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is freakin awesome, and I think it sucks you didn't get to enter, you TOTALLY could have won and they would have been blessed to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would we do crazy challenges ... hahahaha ... well you are halfway there to that craziest of challenges we have done so far .. it was 18 buttons I think you have 9 LOL ... what a fun card love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this Mel, I think it is perfect!!! love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic!! I love everything about it! Every button, stitch, the colors...awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, I love this card. this is definitely a time where more is good! great job on this. I too missed the deadline, I didn't read close enough. there's always next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is stunning, completely over the top but that's what makes it so special! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! It IS a busy card but I really like it! looks liek fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! The button for the wheel is an awesome idea, and I really like all the buttons and stitching!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously - just WOW. What an amazing card. This is by far one of my favorite cards I've seen with this set - TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is REALLY adorable. I love all the extra buttons and goodies you put on this card. I really THOUGHT you HAD sewn all those stitches. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)