Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Time with Friends is Time Well Spent

I made this card for a My Favorite Things Challenge last week (I didn't win, congrats to Carolina!), which required using the paper tole technique. This calls for LOTS of stamping and cutting (3 layers popped up, and DOUBLE THAT if you're planning to paper piece it!) so block out some time (hours) on your calendar if you're wanting to CASE!
I hadn't gotten the poodle from "Meet Me at the Cafe" inky yet so I wanted to try to do something a little different with it, thought it would be fun to make a lap dog tuked under her arm, since I had to cut out the arm anyway! (this may or may not have been done before, I don't know)

I made the little shutters (cut the top and bottom of a rectangle at an angle parallel to each other and draw your lines parallel to the cut, no need to have them perfectly straight, a sketchy style is a nice match to the set, then shadow each line with a light gray) to fold out and attached them with sticky strip .

The flower trim stamp (which looks so cute with this set) is accented with the white gel pen. This stamp is also from the same stitchy trim set I mentioned in this post , I've received some requests for info about it. It is a clear set made by Kelly Panacci for Sandy Lion that I got at Archivers. I bought it because I knew the many trims (different 6 inch doodles PLUS several realistic stitches) would be a handy as a "finishing set" for so many stamp sets I have (perfect for MINE, in particular, ahem!) the whimsical style and variety is exactly what I would want if I made my own trim set. I highly recommend it, the best/most versatile I've seen. Thumbs up!

All papers are from DCVW Spring Stack. CS is basic Black and Soft Sky, colored with Copics.
Okay, only nine more days til the new Gina K Designs Release!! (you didn't think I could go a whole post without mentioning my best girl did you?! had to sneak it in here somewhere, hee!) And, my contest for Guest Designer is now closed! Thank you everyone who entered, I got some truly fabulous entries and ideas*, as well as great entries from some fresh faces(people who had never entered before), what a delight to hear from someone new to me and discover a great blog/ talent, very exciting! :) Who will it be?? You'll find out soon!
*I have to admit, though, I was a tiny bit disappointed not to hear from some of you this time who have consistently been serious contenders for these contests month after month! Don't you know you're the bomb?! (IMHO as well as the HO of all my readers/voters!) Hopefully, you're just taking a little break :)
PS I hope the "2-4 projects" didn't scare anyone off, I really just wanted to allow you to show a variety of samples (since you'd be stamping anyway) since your ideas can be so different from each other, I know I personally have have an extremely difficult time trying to choose what I feel is my "best" work when submitting for something. As usual, I'll be changing up how I do next months contest, so stay tuned for deets on that, I hope EVERYONE will play! :)

13 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Melanie! I love the awning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww........this is just sooo cute with the little lap doggie!!! Man what a ton of cutting!!! But it's worth it as it's marvellous1!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME card. I just love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable!! I've been debating on getting this set but I've seen several people use it and now I think I have to have it. LOL Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh - this FABULOUS, Melanie! love the poodle under her arm - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my!! I LOVE this, I have to try it!!! I don't have that set, since I don't have friends that go drink on a nice cafe terrace (like in France!) with me but it is one of my favorites...
    Your card is stunning, the dimension is awesome! And love the little dog on her lap...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love 3D cards like this, and yes they do take forever to make! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card! I'm excited to see the entries in your contest. I wanted to enter, but life got in the way this time! LOl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this card. I love the poodle, never thought of including it in the sketch. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards - love all dimensions and the poodle on the loop is such the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)