Friday, July 4, 2008

Flag in a Flash!

Hope everyone is enjoying a great holiday weekend!
So far ours had been uneventful, our 4th was full of chores we'd been neglecting, preparing our holiday meal (tried this new dessert for a change), watching the end of the "hot dog contest"(are you familiar with this? my DH grew up with it, but I never knew about it til last year!), one Olympic trial swimming race (Torres is the Bomb!!!), and TV firework celebrations (I know that sounds like a lot of TV, but atually it only added up to about an hour (less than usual for them!), I kept the TV off the rest of the day and kept the kids busy with other stuff. I managed to get a little stamping done to share over the next few days and whipped together a quick flag craft* in the evening before dinner, above are the boys outside with their creations. Thank heavens for the star punch!! ( I was planning on gluing white stars on blue (but J's idea to just punch through the blue and let white show through was MUCH better!)

Below is the pic I took of the boys at the beach in May. In my photo editing program under "Effects" I changed it to B&W and using the paint brush tool, I colorized the flag with red and blue, this is such a fun way to play with certain elements of your photos.
We're heading to Dallas in the morning ( no computer!!) but will be back Sunday. I've extended my contest to Tuesday night, so please don't make any unnecessary sacrifices trying to complete something by Sunday(I also forgot about the no upload rule for non fan club members)! Details of the contest have been updated with the time change in this post, so please enjoy your family time now but then get busy stamping Monday! :)
* two sheets of 8 1/2X11 white CS, Brilliant Blue scraps, and one sheet Real Red CS, cut into 14 strips, yields two flags!

5 comments:

  1. Very creative and fantastic photo!!! Oh good!! I'm glad you extended the contest 'cuz I reallllllllllly wanna participate.......of course!!! LOL Have a fun trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be in Dallas?? That where I am!! :) I LOVE how you did the photo. I wish I was more computer literate. Have a safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing photos of your son. The black and white is my favorite and the little colored flag is such the perfect touch!

    Hope you had a wonderful trip!

    Thanks for extending the contest. I completed one and almost done with the other. Lovin' this new set!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adoraable photos Melanie.. I love the black and white with the POP of the flag. It should be enlarged and framed it's a fantastic shot. I love those following behind photos.. Maybe one day we'll see a photo tutorial from you.. So that we can try and be half as talented as you.. I appreciate the extension and I've already loaded some of my entries but the extra days give me time to make more.. THANKS!! Have a safe trip to Dallas and back..

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful 4th! You even made a yummy new dessert and a fun holiday project for the boys! I LOVE this picture of them at the beach--that colored flag amidst the b&w image is nothing short of awesome! I want to do that stuff too! See?...you are inspiring in SO many ways!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)