Saturday, September 20, 2008

Step by Step

I started out creating a card for the Dirty Dozen Alumni Challenge this month: a single layer card, with masking, and NO PINK! I love using classic nature images on single layer cards, so I selected one small leaf from Gina K's "Autumn Leaves", the new Free with Three set, to create this wreath. I normally don't do step by step coloring pics since I've never been (and will never be) known for my watercoloring, but this leaf is so fun and easy to color, here I go!
Tips for creating the wreath: I started at the 12 o'clock position and stamped my leaf in Palette Burnt Umber around in a clockwise motion. You can put a punched out circle in the middle to use as a guide if you wish, but I elected not to, since I didn't just want tit to a circle of leaves, but a bit more bushy, so I turned the stamp as I went and had a few that stuck out more or in a bit more than others to give it more random shape. Then I grabbed my Aquapainter and used the ink on my pad lids to start watercoloring. Fall leaves are about the easiest thing to watercolor in my opinion, you can't get the shading wrong because every leaf has it's own unique, mottled coloration! A dab of Pumpkin Pie in the middle of a few random leaves all around and pulled out a bit is my first step (I actually think just the few colored in orange looks pretty cool as it is, kind of like spotlighting, those few leaves really pop and monochromatic is always so elegant, but I'll keep going! ;)
Then I followed up making another third of the leaves mustard, and the rest of the leaves Old Olive. Once I had the majority of each leaf in a single color, I went back with all three pads on every leaf, just dabbing it in at random, I love how every one turned out! It is not necessaryto overthignk where to put the colors, this went very quickly, and love how easily and beautifully these three particular colors blend together. Looks just like the leaves out in my front yard...(I could have made a shadow, but didn't) Sweet and simple "thank you". You could stop here.
The same card with a torn edge, now it has that upscale "Fabriano" look. I searched high and low for my Tearing Edge to no avail, so this is my own custom rip. That tool is cool, but your fingers can do the same for free if you're careful. I just LOVE the texture this adds, especially how great it looks with that sawtooth edge on the leaves.
We were allowed to use any other embellishments we wanted, so I cut a slit through the top of my wreath with a craft knife and threaded my Pumpkin Pie striped ribbon through and knotted it to make it look like it's hanging on a door.
This next step may have been against the rules LOL! But I adhered a piece of Old Olive paper under the edge. The front is still a single layer, but I have another color cardstock, so...I uploaded the version of the step before. :)
Since it's a little on the plain side, but also because I love the smells of autumn, I decided to add some "natural bling" and make it aromatic to boot by inserting a single clove into my knot. It does smell like you're gearing up for Thanksgiving or brewing some spice tea, a lovely surprise for the recipient when they open the envelope...
SO what do you think, would you have gone all the way LOL?? Or stopped where...? I'm curious to know, each step appeals to me/looks finished in it's own way...
Tomorrow Carolyn gives all the deets for her big Prize Giveaway! I'm entering, because it's simply too big to pass up, but if I win I'll be keeping that Just Rite Stamper for myself and enjoy sharing the rest with my peeps and readers, hee hee!
PS I actually didn't mask, shhhh. The leaf is really easy to stamp and have it look okay even if there is a slight overlap because of the veins and the the thin, solid stem... there I go breaking the rules again!! :)

19 comments:

  1. I love it. We get so busy adding more and more that we forget that simple can be elegant too. Beautiful card; great idea. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, although I'm a sucker for Fall and Leaves. I would have gone all the way! LOL! I love your clove idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought of all the steps to "go all the way". I love the ribbon through the top to make it look like a wreath! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just fabulous. I love how you added the ribbon. You are so creative and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea Mel! This is so gorgeous to me. I LOVE the fall and wish I had a wreath like this hanging on my door! I would have gone allll the way too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful---Love your created wreath!!!! Gonna have to do that!
    hugs-Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mel, this is fantastic! I love your wreath and how it is "hung" from the door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice card at every stage. Me, being a believer in "more is more" like the last one the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, I love the whole look of the card. The torn edge is great, I need to do more of that. Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card Melanie!! Thanks for the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how simply STUNNING.......and the coloring is just gorgeous!! Of course those colors are so inviting and homey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your idea of using a clove as part of your wreath is a great idea. I love your idea of using leaves to make a wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this card! Every step you did added something more, but you stopped short of making it overdone. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is pretty! I just got an email from Martha Stewart and it was a autumnal door wreath; looks very similar to your card! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. as a rule breaker myself, I couldn't do the one layer either. But then again, stepping it up for us is great! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is beautiful, Mel!! I love your wreath idea! I'll be praying for your finger... I'm sure it's quite worrisome for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)