Monday, January 26, 2009

Binder Storage for Nestabilities

Tory made the FABULOUS suggestion in our Gina K forum to use the binder boxes and pages Gina K carries for storing your Nestabilities! I'd been storing all mine in CD cases and while this was a nice option, I would always search through my many labelled CD spines for the set I needed and then after an afternoon of crafting have about 8 open CD cases lying all over my desk LOL! So I really like the idea of having them all in one binder! (okay, one and a half, my Nestie collection is quite formidable at this point!)


Simply apply adhesive magnetic tape across the refill pages and add the nested dies. Depending on the shape you may choose to orient the tape vertically instead of horizontally. Almost all sets fit two per side. Below you can see the two petite ovals on page, and the Labels One and Star set on the other. You may choose to have all your square sets on one page, with the Large and Small classic sets on one side of the page, and the scalloped sets on the back as I did (in case I need to pull that one page out to do a project I have them all, OR to have them on pages facing each other so you can see all for sets at a glance, I like that idea, too. (The nice thing about these is they are easy to change around if I decided I want that set in a different spot based on how much I use it or whatever, just pull them off one magnetic strip and place them on another, it's all the same!

There are only a few exceptions to this: scalloped sets in a few cases overlap when they are nested together which makes it hard for them to have enough contact with the magnetic tape to grab on because they are sitting on another die.(I have only had this prblem with the squares and hearts, so not all sets overlap)) My solution was to go ahead and use two side of the sheets so I could split up the sets and have room in between each, I don't really mind that they aren't with their "partners" LOL! So what you see here is just two sets of scalloped squares, broken into four groups. It actually makes it a little easier to see the difference between the sizes and to pull of the one you need without upsetting the rest of the set, KWIM?
The other exception is the long rectangle sets (there may be others, there are a few fancier long die sets I don't have) there is no way to put more than one set of these on a side, not diagonally, side to side, above or below, believe me, I tried! ;) I found I also needed to have more than one strip of magnetic tape to hold them as there was such a huge difference in size, the longest ones need something to grab near the top and bottom edge so I used three, the smaller ones are fine to just have the one going through the middle the way the other sets do.

You may want to reinforce the other sets with more strips as well. One thing I will mention about this system that has both plus and minuses: The pages are very slick, the positives are that the magnetic tape is repositionable if you need to move it, AND if you decide you want to use that sheet to store stamps again instead you take the tape off, NO residue! i love that it's not going to ruin my pages, yeah! The downside is that if you don't replace you dies and close the binder up, the magnetic strip is going to want to grab onto the magnetic strip and dies across from it on the opposite page, KWIM? (but will still be stuck there when you open, you just pull it away and stick back onto the other page.) It can't though if you have the full set on there,(and you need to put your dies back anyway) the other alternative is to only use one side of a page for your dies so they aren't attracting each other.


The binders hold 6 sheets, if you use both sides of every page. Doing so, you can hold 24 sets in this one binder that takes up 1.25" wide of counter space (9.5" high and 7" deep) I LOVE that! I chose to put them in an order than makes sense to me all the classic geometric shapes first, followed by the fancier ones and tags, these last in the order I use them most, so I know where to flip for the set I need (when I was using my CD cases I didn't always put them back in the same spot and would have to scan through the spine labels to find the one I wanted.) However I'm thinking i might use my SU! Round Tab punch to create some tabs for the tops of the pages labelling each for an additional reference, there is room on the top of the pages to do so...what do you think?

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful, I may have to change my storage over. Thank you for the great idea and all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous idea. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already do that very thing with mine! However, I use the magnetic vent covers (from Lowes) and adhere them to the page. These work great b/c the nesties foresure stay put. I buy them in packs of two and cut them to where I get three sheets...it works perfect!! I love those little boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Step 1--get more nesties
    Step 2--use this idea.
    Step 3--stay organized (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS! Thank you so much for coming to my rescue! Awesome job on the tutorial and photos BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous idea.
    M...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic idea!! Too bad I only have one set of nesties. :( One day I hope to add to my collection - if hubby gets a job. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea and those boxes look great, I think I may have to invest in some. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for that information on storing the nesties in the folders, I've just started collecting the nesties and this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just fighting with my nesties and wondering how I could store them better (they're still in their original, obnoxious packaging). What a great idea!

    I think I'm going to put a sheet of paper in between the pages to avoid the problem with the magnetic tape attracting the nesties on a facing page.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea for storing Nesties....to bad I only have two sets that need to be stored.......sigh........can I come play at your house????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a good system. At present I have all my Spellbinder dies(and it is full!) in a 3" zippered binder using A-Z system without the A-Z dividers(examples Hearts under H; Design under D). I too use the magnetic sheets to hold the Nesties in place dividing where necessary into 2 pockets, using 4x6, 3.5x5...some vertical, some horizontal, as well as baseball card pages to store the smaller dies. Another 3" notebook for Stencils, and one for "Other Dies". Now to figure where to put the new Nestabilities...maybe adopt your system for Nesties ONLY.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea now I just need to start getting nesties because I have none:0(


    reflections:0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a fantastic idea! I've been fumbling with the CD cases as well, and running out of room storing them! I may have to use this storage system, or create something myself that's similar! TFS!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is a terrific idea! I had heard that stampers were using a clear case, similar in size to a CD case, so purchased 6 of those. However, I found that the scallop circles would not fit, nor the scallop ovals, etc. So it was back to their original packaging to keep them. This truly sounds workable and will be a February purchase. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Gail S.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful idea. TFS, I still have mine in their packages and it makes me crazy. Just yesterday, I opened the package and sent them all flying!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw that comment in the forum too and was waiting to see what you would come up with - and as always, it's very exciting! I'm going to have to change my storage system over sometime too. I've got all my nesties in their original plastic containers standing upright in a cardboard box that one of my orders came in. It's so purdy that way, maybe I'll keep it like that? LOL

    Thanks for doing all the hard work on figuring out how to put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous idea! I have some clear folders I could do this with - I am always covering the table with my Nesties. Now I have to go find some magnetic tape!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea!!! I currently store mine in the Metal DVD cases. I have a high stack of them already. I LOVE this idea and think I will be changing nestie storage!!! Thanks sooooo much for this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome idea! I am going to have to do this with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bought the storage supplies from Gina K and got them today. It works like a charm. I am so happy to have these out of their boxes. I was so frustrated with the way that I had them stored before. Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)