Friday, February 27, 2009

Potluck Friday Challenge!

For our very first Stamp TV "Potluck Friday" challenge*, I chose the theme “Split Screen”, and here is my sample. By splitting up one large image (or several images that make up a focal point) into different pieces, you can extend your design and bring focus to different areas of the image or spotlight a special one! Flowers images (from the new Floral Frenzy Kit, or others you may have in your collection) are perfect for this, so many beautiful parts to a flower: the bloom, the stem, the leaves.

This card uses a silhouette from “Elegant Flowers” from the "Floral Frenzy" kit (papers and ribbon are included in the kit, too!) is divided into equal one inch sections (I was feeling very “Zen” whe I made it!), but separating your image into uneven large and small sections can also make for a very stylish design, too! The parts can be aligned or skewed, you decide! (You do not have to use my layout, or even flowers for that matter LOL!) Can’t wait to see what you make!


This is what the card started out as, I liked the calm simplicity of it but decided to punch it up a bit with matching ribbon and greeting. The floral background mat is made by stamping the silhouette all over the green CS from the kit in different angles to make a random pattern (that was one of the very first things I learned when stamping, but it is still such a great way to get the perfect background!), and the edges were sponged in the same Garden green ink to give it a little "glow". TIP: Keeping the borders in between the sections of your image a consistent size, here I used 1/8" to match the border on my card front, will make your design look extra sharp! :)


Please upload your creation to Stamp TV with the keyword STVPF1. You do not need to use Gina K stamps to participate, although we'd love it if you did! We just want you to play along and have fun! You have until next Friday, March 6th, at 8am CST, to upload your sample. One winner will be drawn at random to win a Gina K stamp set valued at $19.95 or less, winner's choice!

* Potluck Challenge, as defined by me: “A little of this, a little of that…whether our Friday challenge focuses on a product , requires certain elements in your design, or puts a new spin on a favorite technique,… you can always expect something fun!” :)

14 comments:

  1. It's such a beautiful sample of the split screen!! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love it that you used green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunningly beautiful Melanie.
    I love it!
    Viv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Melanie! Love the green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, your card is beautiful as usual. I love the pot-luck idea for a weekly challenge. Mixes things up a bit. Have a super day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card Mel! I'll be back to play!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very pretty. Love the colors and the calm, serene feel of this card. It's very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your card! I can't wait to go to my stamp room and "copy" this beautiful card. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty Melanie....love the layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this look but have never tried it! I should give it a try now. Gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am just a little bit disappointed and ONLY because I was hoping you would be on video, when are you going to have a video online????????? I would soooo love to take a class from you as I am sure many of us are!! Should we start a petition???

    Patricia
    www.papertemptress.com
    the largest selection of
    speciality cardstock online!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Came here via StampTV so surprised how different the 2 cards look, the ribbon made all the difference to me, just that finishing touch, and have read with interest all you have said about the background you have made.. thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)