Friday, April 10, 2009

Potluck Friday: Paper Piecing!

So everyone is super excited about paper piecing after Joanne's fabby tutorial this week on STV, so why not make it the Potluck Challenge this Friday? You have all have TONS of paper, I know!
Create a card any patterned paper on your stamped image, see the tutorial here if you have no clue what paper piecing is, it's easy and is sure to become one of your favorite techniques!

Here is my example of paper piecing, I pieced the T-shirt from my "Little Tees" from Basic Grey Cupcake, then stamped my smiley face from the same set on white AND black CS. After cutting out the white face, I trimmed just above the eyes on the black face to make the top of the "Mouse ears" hat so it would be a perfect fit, and glued that to the face. (So I guess that's an example of how you can piece something just partially LOL!) Ears were made with Black CS and the 1/2" circle punch. "Classic" is from my Tee Talk set, I thought that was appropriate for a iconic mouse ears, just makes you feel like a kid again, doesn't it?
TIP: when you paper piece, a great way to add dimension is to create shadow onto the patterned paper with a marker or pencil that's just a shade or two darker than the color of the paper, see how I outlined the shirt and drew in some wrinkles? (click the pic for a closeup) I made this for my son William, he is just the smiliest guy I know (hence the happy button treatment I gave it with a doodle half circle under each pair of holes!)


So back to the challenge! We ask that you make and upload a brand new card for this challenge and if you use Gina K. Designs stamps, you get your name in the pot twice! (Although I used acetate on this card, that is NOT part of or required in this challenge, just making sure you know!) :)


Post your cards using key/tag word- STVPF8 in the StampTV gallery. You have until next Thursday, night, 4/16 at 8:00 PM CST to upload your challenge cards. Next Friday 4/17, I will announce the randomly chosen winner from all who played along and that winner will receive a stamp set of their choice valued at $24.95 or less!

Have fun and thanks so much for playing! Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Super cute card! I love the mickey mouse ears. Maybe I should do one of these challenges on stamp t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just amaze me with what you can do with some markers. that is such a great card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mel! this is soooooooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so very cute, Melanie!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute card Melanie! You know I love those cute little tee's!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Mickey Mouse ears.....HOW CUTE IS THAT!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)