Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Guest Designer: Melissa Schulz

Melissa has been busy with the new "School, Sports, Spirit!" set and she's mixed in some "Hip HOP"! is that not the cutest thing ever??! bwahhhh!
I am just in awe of all the cool details she added to the scene and the "Sporty Accessories" locker, the little schoolbooks, and I am still just cracking up over that baton she's holding with her tail! Never would have thought of it, I clearly have not been playing with my hippys and hoppys enough lately! :) Way to go, Melissa!

Here's a little more about her:

FAVORITE TECHNIQUE: I love the results of sewing with a real sewing machine. It really adds such a nice touch.


COLORS/COLOR COMBO: My favorite neutral color is chocolate brown. I use it with so many different colors. And I like lighter pinks and medium greens. My favorite green is the retired Wild Wasabi from Stampin’ Up. I just bought some Apple Green from Gina K Designs and it is quickly growing on me.


FAVORITE GINA K SET BY MELANIE: Little Tees is still my absolute favorite by Melanie. And I love all the sets that go with it.


FAVORITE GINA K SETS (FROM ANY ILLUSTRATOR: My Cuppa’ Joe because if it’s coffee I am in love.


CRAFT SUPPLIES I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: All of my stamps, Memento Inks, Copic Markers, Scor Tape Cutter Bee Scissors and Tonic Paper Cutter. Those are the supplies I use more than any other.



I’VE BEEN STAMPING FOR (HOW LONG): 8 years. Wow, I can’t believe I’ve been stamping for 8 years. It’s the only hobby that has lasted this long.



I GET MY INSPIRATION FROM: Mostly from StampTV and all of the blogs I visit. There are so many talented stamping and paper crafting people out there that share so much. I also find inspiration when looking through magazines and while shopping in stores. I even drew a sketch in church one time while looking at the design on the shirt a woman was wearing. Is that crazy or what?



THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT STAMPING/CARDMAKING ARE: Don’t try to mimic other designers. It is okay to be inspired by them and try the same techniques they may use. But you need to find your own style. Whenever I tried to copy something made by a designer I admired, it never turned out as nice. Then I was disappointed. Now I get inspired by other designers, but then I try to incorporate what I like from their designs into what I am doing but no copy it.


SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING GOALS ARE: My biggest goal is to find a way to focus more. I want to take my stamping to the next level and I need to be able to focus more to do that. My next biggest goal is to be more consistent with my blog and posting at least 4 to 5 times a week. Eventually I want to work up to daily posting. I would love to be a part of a design team some day. And I realize it takes focus and commitment. So I will be working on those two areas.


FAVORITE THING TO MAKE THAT AREN’T CARDS: I like to make items that I can use to either decorate or as storage. I made a file folder holder and pen/pencil cup for my office that I enjoy using while at work. I also like to alter picture frames to give as gifts. I recently found a way to use stamps on fabric and incorporate that in sewn projects. The possibilities are endless.


SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Being recognized by super talented people and by my favorite stamp company was a huge accomplishment for me. I was on cloud nine when Gina asked me to be in the spotlight a few months ago. And now I am being featured by Melanie, which puts me on cloud nine again. I never dreamed that would actually happen. I have also been paid to make cards for people to give to others. That is a huge compliment and great accomplishment as well. I have received so many compliments from other stampers online. They have helped me to realize my talent and have inspired me to do more.
Thanks Melissa! Your work is truly one of a kind LOL! Look forward to more projects from her over the next few weeks, and actually you can feast on another right now, click here to go see!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring me Melanie. I am still on cloud nine about the whole thing.

    I squealed when I finished this card because I was just so tickled with it. That little hippy giraffe is just a perfect twirler. :o) Your stamps are just so much fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have chosen a great guest designer, Mel! Melissa's work is top notch! Look at this awesome, playful card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable....Melissa is so creative and I agree the baton twirler is just so cute! Way to go Melissa, you should be on Cloud 9!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Melissa! You have created a very cute and detailed card that tells a story with Mel's images :) That's a clever thing to be able to do! I think you will reach those goals you have set yourself. No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this card. Especially how 3D it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your card is so CUTE! all the detail...:))) I am so looking forward to what you are going to come up with..no pressure :)..seriously, you do amazing creations and we are all looking forward to seeing more! LOL
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fantastic Melissa! I love what you did! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sooooo cute!
    thanks - this was fun!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)