Sunday, September 6, 2009

Potluck Friday Challenge

Here is a sample for this week's Potluck Friday Challenge this week on StampTV, which involves adding one of more elements outside the perimeter of your card base. (Hope you'll play along with us, you could win free stamps!) I used the sentiments and caterpillar from "A Year of Leaves" and the butterfly from Gina's "Take Flight". DP is Basic Grey Ambrosia and cardstock is all Pure Luxury: Moonlit Fog, Black Onyx, and Ivory.
I will tell you I hemmed and hawed for awhile before finally deciding on this layout, I wanted it to feel really transcendent so originally I was going to have the butterfly coming off the top of the card somehow with the quote below it, more like a tent topper. In the end I moved the greeting mat off the card to the right and I'm really pleased with how it turned out! It's unexpected and really goes so nicely with the butterfly theme, like the butterfly and quote might both just take off! :)


I also like how the the thin black mats are the same size and keep your traveling around and around the card to follow the line. The black flourish punch adds a bit of drama and brings attention to the quote, but is also a whimsical representation of antennae. I adhered it just below the vertical of the of the black mat on the card base so it almost looks as if they are continuous and the straight line is morphing into a curved one! Shadow below the caterpillar is a C-3 Copic, my C-1 marker dried out recently, but I'm really digging the darker shadow, makes that ivory panel look super bright and illuminated! it is also a great match for the Moonlit Fog CS...
For the inside of your card, you can add another little mat behind the black box that is off to the side to stamp another sentiment, I will take photos of that to share later this week so you can see how to pull something else intersecting to your design with this when it's open.

Have a blessed a Sunday! Hope you have something fun lined up for the holiday tomorrow! Be safe!

9 comments:

  1. Perfect card! Love the punched flourish and this design. Your butterfly is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is just stunning..just absolutely stunning... tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, I just had to stop and tell you that you are Amazing!
    This card is beautiful!!!!!
    I'll keep watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! Beautiful card!! With the add on "side car" what are the dimensions of the card?? It is hard to tell if it would fit into an A-2 or if it is larger. Simply stunning card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that really is a beautiful butterfly stamp and you have even made it prettier.
    thanks for all the inspiration!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful sentiment, gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this card and that you shared your thoughts about how it was planned, the significance of elements, and also about the idea fro the inside! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous - the patterned paper you chose is just right for this card!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)