Thursday, October 29, 2009

Festive Frame Candle Tutorial

"Festive Frame" is now available for purchase at Gina K Designs! :)

Gina K's stamped candle video on StampTV inspired me to try out the new frame on a 6" pillar, and the results passed my wildest expectations! Look how pretty!!
I used a piece of white tissue paper 5 1/2" tall x 9" wide. I was able to stamp the frame on it twice in Memento Tuxedo Black, leaving about 3/4"-1" in between the frames and a little room on the ends so there would be space in between both frames when you viewed it from the side. Using a grid line block, it was easy to get the borders to line up going across. Then I stamped two greetings from the set in the center, a different one for each side. You could also use a holiday image.

Copics on tissue need a lighter touch that on cardstock so I worked quickly in soft strokes without blending(the great news is you don't really need to blend it like you do on paper the color comes out really evenly!), otherwise it will want to bleed into the paper outside the lines.


I wasn't really sure what would happen (to the ink and coloring) when I started to heat it up, but the images and coloring stayed crisp and looked absolutely luminous, woo hoo! I wrapped the piece around my candle holding the ends at the back to keep it tight and started heating with my embossing gun in the middle. This picture shows it after heating, see how smooth? (and how nice those borders look with a space in between even from the side)?


And here is the back side of the candle! I've done tissue candles before but always with bold images, I'm really excited about the coloring possibilities now that I've tried this as well as how perfectly the proportions of all my Gina K frame stamps fit a standard pillar (3 inch diameter). It would be gorgeous to go back and add some stickles to the flowers and needles to make it even more festive, etc! :)

I'm anxious to go buy more candles (these range from $1-$4 apiece) so I can make some stained glass ones using "Inspiration Mosaic" and seasonal ones for Autumn and Spring gifts using "Arranged with Love", to decorate my home and to give friends and family!


Hope this project inspires, and be sure to check out Gina's video to see this technique in action! :) A special treat, please go check out more Festive Frame projects from the lovely and talented Joan Ervin!
Then Friday night, check back for a featured spot with my guest designer this month for Festive Frame: Linda Payne!

19 comments:

  1. OMG, Melanie..your candle project turned out sooo gorgeous!!!! The Festive Frame image is so beautifully colored and I love how it looks on the candle!!!! I have got to make one of these..in fact, I neet to make several for Christmas gifts...thanks for the wonderful inspiration!!! Thanks for letting me be a part of this outstanding release!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing looking. Great job and I will most certainly be casing this design!!

    Patricia
    the PaperTemptress

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous! I have done candles like this before, but never with colored in images, it looks awesome! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I would love to do this tonight. Oops no stamps YET.
    Definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mel,
    That candle is beautiful. You did an amazing job on this project. I am so getting this set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Melanie, this is FANTASTIC!!!

    I have done tissue paper stamped candles in the past, but this image is just perfect for a pillar candle. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just so beautiful!! Even though we seldom use candles in my country, I am now really tempted to try this technique out!! It is so inviting!! I got to see mine looks like after coloring & heating. It will definitely not be as nice as yours! :( Thanks for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstanding, Melanie!! You have given us such a wonderful idea for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Love your new stamp on the candle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE, LOVE LOVE it. This is so beautiful. Thank You for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie... I about broke my jaw when I saw this last night!!! My mouth fell all the way down to my desk!!! This is soooooooo beyond GORGEOUS!! Soooooooooooo much a Melanie Original!!! I LOVE it and boy... you can be this will be CASED by so many!!! You way wayyyyyyyyyy outdid yourself girlfriend!!! GREAT job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful work! The sets you used are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more of MANY reasons to ADORE this new Festive Frame set! THANKS for the great gift idea! I've been wanting to try decorating candles, but have been too scared! lol Of course, now there is finding time too - heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my Melanie, this is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is GORGEOUS!!!! I ADORE this idea...and that image is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thud!! Beautiful candle, it is almost as if your stamp was made just for this project. Totally gorgeous! I will have to try this when my stamps get here, where is that mailman anyway? TFS

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)