Monday, October 5, 2009

Gilded and Bleached Poinsettias

I am so excited for the return of the holiday season which gives me a GREAT reason to get out my poinsettia from "A Year of Flowers"! On today's card I embossed the Rocket Red mat with the flower several times with gold detail powder and then bleached it out using a Q-tip, just like I did on the leaf card in this post. (after completing that card, I just HAD to go see what bleach would do to the other Pure Luxury colors! More samples with other colors to come! ;) I was pleased to see the red cardstock turn the poinsettia to muted shades of pink and cream when I painted on the bleach, just like the different poinsettia varieties. :)
Here is a closeup to show the poinsettia I embossed on white CS and then colored with four Copics (Strong Red, Cardinal, New Leaf and Pale Olive) I cut it out, it's just one layer, but the shadowing with the two darker Copics really makes it look multi-layered and popped it up onto my circle die cut mats. I just love this embossed and colored poinsettia! I used my die like a stencil and rubbed on a little gold from the holiday rub on paste collection to make the white layer pop and match the white trim on the ribbon and thin reveal of the card base. The ribbon and Pure Luxury Rocket Red, Good as Gold and White are all included in the new Holiday Cheer StampTV kit.

I don't know about you, but I am just getting more excited about my favorite holiday with every card I make! Have you started on yours yet?? ;)

19 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful. The top poinsettia really does look layered - you are talented!!! Love the bleach on that cs too - it really does look like the natural colors of the plant. Again -beautiful card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This card is so incredibly gorgeous. Now I have to purchase this set so I can copy one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, this has got to be the most beautiful Christmas card ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fabulous. I love the poinsettia it is one of my favourite Christmas images. Can be used in so many ways and the way you've used it is gorgeous.
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely stunning, Melanie! I love the effect of the bleaching on the red CS and the center poinsettia is just gorgeous! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! That card is so beautiful! I just want to reach through my computer screen and touch it! You share so many great things - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful. Great job, love it, Have a great day. Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card, Melanie! I have yet to try bleaching so this one just might be the inspiration I needed to try it. Thanks for all the great ideas you share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful card!!! Love the colors and the dimension!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a gorgeous Christmas card. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous, Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, Gorgeous!!! I love the poinsettia bleached. It's a perfect Christmas card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOWzers! The bleaching technique looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe this is only one layer - how beautiful! Copics can give you such a wonderful finished look. I know, 'cause I'm not great with color, but some of my Copic colored images really look great!
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful card.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is so amazing! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!!! stunningly beautiful Melanie!!!! You are such an amazing artiste!!! Sending you love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie! This card is gorgeous! The poinsettia is one of the images in this set that "made me" buy it. :o) I had so much fun coloring it last year and I created SEVERAL and cut them out for various designs. :o)

    Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)