Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Punch it Up Tree #1!

The winner of the "Hip to Be Square" set from our blog hop is:
Jan Castle said...
have to choose the sunflower easel card...all good so it's a tough choice!
Jan Castle
October 13, 2009 12:08 AM
Congrats Jan! Please email me your address!

I love really simple, homemade-looking cards at the holidays, they remind me of my earliest paper crafting days as a girl when you made all your holiday gifts and cards at school! :) Here is the first of a few simple trees I've designed that are easy for you and your children to recreate for some delightful holiday cards!
Now I made this card a few days ago, and then today I noticed a very similar(and gorgeous!) one in the STV gallery by Cathy! It uses a different punch, but you get the idea! :)
This tree was made from a stack of 4 curved corner punches from Pure Luxury All Spruced Up CS (stay tuned for another design using the other half of this fabulous corner punch!) they nest together perfectly. I didn't bother to cover the little spaces in between because that way you can see that they are punches instead of a solid tree. I stuck some buttons(faux stitched on with white Inkssentials pen!) from the Gina K Holiday Button Assortment with glue dots (and a brown one from the Autumn Collection for the trunk!) I also added an oval punch of Basic Grey Junebug DP underneath like a little tree skirt. Mat is Soft Sand and card base is Rocket Red, I love how these three CS colors together evoke a homespun, holiday feel. I sponged a little Cream White ink on the sand mat and then added some green stamped stitches from the "Inspiration Mosaic" set around the edge to match the stitched ribbons from the autumn assortment (which match the button colors, woo hoo!) Stamped sentiment is from Gina's "Seasonal Sayings".

Get ready for anther punched tree card, next time with a more sophisticated feel! :)

6 comments:

  1. Soo clever!!! Great idea for kids, you're right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think there was much could be done with this punch other than the obvious. Boy was I fooled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I LOVE this Mel with the buttons! and how you did the base too! Can't wait to see the other one, cause I couldnt come up with one for that punch, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever way to use the punch! I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that way of using the punch!! I might CASE this idea for a fundraising group this Saturday night - he he he! Thank you Melanie.

    And congratulations to the winner of "Hip to be Square" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've definitely gotten the homespun appeal into this lovely and cleverly created tree. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)