Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shell in My Pocket...

Hello! I have been wanting to make card with a tag and a pocket ever since I found this "May you always have a shell in your pocket..." for "Gifts from the Sea", and am just now finding time to create it! Making the pocket is very simple: take a mat 4" x 5 1/4" (which will layer onto your A2 base) and cut the top right corner off at a diagonal. Here I used In the Navy CS for my base and little boy blue for my mat, stamped with a denim backgrounder in Vivid inky Blue. Creating holes along the top and down the diagonal with a piercing tool or ScorBug will provide even more realism, then connect the dots with a marker. Now adhere the corner to the top of your card base and use pop dots on the back of your larger piece (top, bottom and sides, NOT in the middle of the diagonal or you can't put your tag in!), adhere this to the base lining it up with the top. The pop dots will give the tag room to slide in.

Tag is made from a piece of Soft Sand 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" with the top corners trimmed off. I made the reinforcer with circle punches and White CS. The conch shell is stamped on black on white and colored with Copics. After stamping my quote I used Vivid Tuscan Tan ink to sponge the sides and stamp my speckles and few more watermarked looking shells to the bottom. You can slide it all the way out, or push it in with just the top peeking out. Last I added some jute twine and ribbon to the tag and along the bottom and a stamped sand dollar. If you have some eyelets or decorative brads like these from SU! they will punch up the jeans look!

Try your own pocket card, I'd love to see what you would do with this! :)

PS There are still a couple more days to add a project to the Mr. Linky for my guest designer! Hope I didn't limit anyone's creativity to much asking you to CASE a project of mine, it could take any elements of a project, doesn't not have to be that similar I am just looking for what inspires you and then shows off your style! Please enter by Tuesday 10PM CST!

9 comments:

  1. FABULOUS!!! I want a denim stamp!! Where did you get this? I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Mel. I hope to find some time to work on one, but wanted to show you a little pocket I made quite a while back for a scrapbooking journal pocket. I could definitely see altering the idea for a card, though.
    This is the pocket closed:
    http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=galleries&u=76049&m=view&id=274289&type=-1&start=358&page=1
    and this is with the tag out for journaling:
    http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=galleries&u=76049&m=view&id=274281&type=-1&start=358&page=1

    I thought I was so clever! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Melanie! The colors and design turned out perfectly for a bluejeans pocket. I have one I made a while back, but different. A fun design to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool, Melanie! Love the blue jeans pocket and the beautiful insert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card! I forgot about the CASE challenge. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute pocket card, love the denim!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Thanks for the update on the challenge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so WOW, love, love, love your new set! Shame on ME for not owning it YET

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Mel! What a cool idea and you did just a beautiful job :o)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)