Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Cake Inspired #1: Berry Delicious

What better place to start getting inspired when creating a cake card than a masterfully decorated cake??

Janice made this beautiful chocolate groom's cake with a cascade of chocolate dipped strawberries ( this is bringing back memories of my own wedding day, any one else? Actually DH's cake had those little tuxedo strawberries, have you seen those?? too cute!) Anyway, consider me totally impressed, she's got mad cake skeelz!!! ( Coming up, a totally 70's photo of me decorating one of my first cakes!!)


Here is my card using "Candles on Your Cake":

After stamping the chocolate tiered cake, I stamped out several little strawberries from "100% Sweet" colored to make the bottoms chocolate dipped, and cut them out. The Fleur de Lis pendant die cut from Grass Green CS was a perfect backdrop to mimic the strawberry leaves and I saved the pieces that fell out to make some extra leaves for the cake and side! Simply draw a deeper green strip down the middle of each with a Copic or colored pencil and attach. I made a fancy chocolate background by inking up the D'Vine swirl folder with Vivid Coffee Bean and embossing it into Chocolate Brown CS, inking the folder makes the swirls pop more (although you may not be able to tell in this pic...) I added a curved corner and strip of Red Hot Cuttlebugged with Swiss Dot to look like the berries and added the strawberries image from the "Enjoy the Sunshine" StampTV kit. Last I added some white highlights with a gel pen and a bit of faux stitching to match my ribbon.




While a grooms cake is what inspired it, it doens't have to be a wedding card so I left off a greeting, I know I like my birthday cakes big and brown LOL!



Show me what this cake or card inspires you to make! Add your post to the Mr. Linky below by this Friday, I will invite the winner to create something after sending her a photo for the next cake inspired challenge! Your card does not have to have a cake on it (although it would be fun if you did!) so please play!


16 comments:

  1. Incredibly beautiful card to match an incredible cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh!!!!!!!!! FABULOUS!!! The real one AND your card!!! Constantly amazing me... still!!! GORGEOUSLY done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Melanie, LOVE that card!!! Those little strawberries are awesome! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card, inspired by Janice's gorgeous cake, Melanie! Love all the perfect details!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie,
    This is amazing as always. Makes me wish I had time to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an yummy cake card!! It looks good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So not nice to show a yummy cake and a yummy card first thing in the morning when I get up and haven't eaten yet! lol Is there a Weight Watchers version of this? heehee

    Both the the cake and your inspired card are amazing! Inspiration is indeed everywhere - if you don't eat it first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! I adore these colors together and that cake is yummy; yours and Janice's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy good Mel. And to have strawberries...triple yummy. Your card is good enough to eat, I tell ya! Although I am NOT a chocoholic I would love to have a slice of that groom's cake to much while make a yummy card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Common ladies, who's going to take Mel's challenge?! ;) I just had to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She has amazing cake AND cardmaking skills! WOWzers, love her cake and your card is perfect. Hope to play along if I can find a cake image.... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooops, should have read the deadline :o((

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my, those strawberries are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous card and your shading of the strawberries is awesome. Makes me want to eat CAKE!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)