Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 2: "Pretty as a Peacock" and "Lawn and Garden"

Welcome to Day 2 of our sneak peeks! First up we have Asela Hopkins "Pretty as a Peacock", and I love the art deco style of the font and images. Several of the images are framed up in squares , perfect for making inchie type art, so I thought adding them to the "Inspiration Mosaic" background, stamped with Black Stazon on Good as Gold card stock would be extra opulent!
I put the full peacock perched on the bottom of one the top rectangles, then put my popped up squares in the opposite corners. Below you can see the coloring closeup. I used several shades of green and blue Copics, plus Lionet Gold, and then added some touches of metallic glitter pens in blue, green and gold over that, love the shimmer! I purposely drew little strokes of the glitter pen over each feather to give it a more realistic, feathery texture. This is all layered on mats of Black Onyx and Pure Luxury White, and last I added an adhesive black crystal flourish to emphasize the grandeur of its tail and draw your eye around the card...
Our next set "Lawn and Garden" is from Rupa Shevde. With all the gardening tools and elements, I thought it would be fun to make a coupon book for my husband. He likes doing all that stuff himself, but it couldn't hurt to let him know I am willing to do it once in awhile if he'll let me! Book is 3 1/2" x 5 1/2 " folded (so you can tuck it in an envelope if you like) made from Pure Luxury Tan Leather I rubbed with Antique Linen Distressing Ink. Black stitching on the score is from Tami's new "In Stitches".
I created and printed out 6 coupons on one sheet of Pure Luxury Layering Weight White (landscape layout, three on each side, 3" x 5 1/4") and then stamped on the corresponding images and colored them with Copics. I used a perforator and my Scor-Pal about a 1/3 inch over from the left side. You could probably use the Scor-Bug Tool to emboss some dots for tearing them out, too, or stamp a dashed line from the "In Stitches" set and the cut when the recipient is ready to redeem them.

Then I used the 1/8" Scor Tape on the far side to adhere them all together and then press them into my folded book.
I added them right up against the fold, then added another strip of Scor-Tape to the front and folded that back so they are neatly tucked inside.
This was a really fun project to make. (He might not ever ask me to mow the lawn, but I know he'll keep the book forever, in his little stack of stuff I make for him he keeps in his nightstand.) :)


For even more samples with the stamp sets being previewed tonight, check out these designer's links:

We'd also like to invite you to attend our Release Party this Thursday, July 1st starting at 7 pm central on StampTV! There will be challenges, contest questions, and more samples from our designers on all the new stamp sets being released this month! We'd love to have you join in on the fun!

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous peacock card and your coupon book is to die for! What a great gift idea! I would make one for my DH, but I would be afraid he'd take me up on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brilliant, Mel! That coupon book is genius.....and the metallic pens....I didn't even think of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome peacock card! Love the gold cs background and the swirl of rhinestones! And Im like T, love the coupon book, but my hubby aint getting one, cause I KNOW he would take me up on it, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your peacock card and the gold cs is perfect for this!!! Cute coupon book too, great idea but scared to make one for dh....like T, he would probably take me up on it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEKKK ... Love how you did the peacock... gorgeous! And those coupons... FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous projects Melanie! Your coloring is incredible on both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one clever woman. That coupon book is such fun. It reminds me of something similar we did for my dad....not as advanced and not done with stamping all those years ago. He loved it too. Kheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, the peacock card is really sweet, and your coupon book is FANTASTIC! I love the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable peacock card and LOVE the coupon book!!! Must remember this idea for Christmas stocking stuffers ~ too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love how we all used the glitter/metallic pens for the peacock!! LOL Oooooo I also soooo need to CASE that coupon book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous peacock and elegant gold background, Melanie! Love the bling! The coupon book is so cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the coloring on your peacock! So pretty! And your idea for a coupon booklet is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Umm..what in the world?! That peacock card is SERIOUSLY gorgeous! Amazing! Your coupon book idea is too cute! My hubby would loved something like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is brilliant! what a cool idea...you're such a clever gal

    ReplyDelete
  15. The peacock is beautiful!!! Love the idea with the coupon, what a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous display of the flower and garden set and a fantastic gift for hubby. I'll bet you will reap more benefits from that than you would from any real garden! Your peacock is gorgeous. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie - you hit it out of the ball park with your peeks tonight, Melanie! WOW - they are stunning and I adore that coupon book... such a great idea! I was thinking of the same thing but am glad you did it because it's WAY better than I would/could have done!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)