Monday, June 14, 2010

Gina K Designs Challenge!

Welcome to our latest Gina K Design team challenge hop! This month Gina challenged us (and now you!) to create a card inspired by a favorite summer memory using our newest sets from the last release. I had never really associated summer with birthdays before since none of our family had birthday in these months... until my first child came along...
Jonathan was born on July 1st, so stars and stripey things always often abound for his party decorations! His first birthday was my first time to get really crafty as a mother (I started stamping just a few months after he was born, I actually stamped "I'm one!" and the date on this onesie he's wearing below) and throw a big party in our first home, so that year in particular has lots of special memories.

We also had a LOT of people so I spelled out the "happy birthday..." on cupcakes and as well as make an American flag cake with berries, I'm sure you've seen those before!

Now for the card (which I call "Stars, Stripes and Cupcakes Forever")! All the images on this card are from "Candles on your Cake" and I wanted to showcase some of the images in different ways than I have for you previously. I thought the tiniest candle row stamped in Brick Red would make some fun and festive stripes for an American flag (no need to Stampamjig these, just use a gridline block), and the stars are embossed in white on In the Navy cardstock. I layered onto Silver Lining, more navy and Pure Luxury White.

The stripey candle is probably my favorite because you can add such quick pops of colors inking it up with different markers! The flag background still needed a little something so I spelled out "I love cupcakes" over it with the candle and heart and cupcake from the set. Marvy Scalloped Heart punches fit the heart. TIP: To make the frosting sit on top a nice puffy cupcake, stamp the bottom onto yellow paper (or "flavor" of choice), then round off the top above the image as you cut. Now ink up just the edge of the bold icing with a marker, cut out and pop up on a dimensional slightly above the cupcake liner. Last I added Stardust pen to the centers of the stars and on the heart...


For all the specific details on how to enter your card in Gina's Design Team challenge, please visit GinaK's blog.


Then, stop by these participating GinaK Design Team member's blogs for their projects for tonight's hop:


23 comments:

  1. What an awesome creation from such a precious memory Mel! LOVE it! And also perfect for Flag day today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cake - so yummy! And of course, fabulous card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful card! Great,great design and layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a COOOL card!!! I love the candle/flag design. And oh my gosh isn't he a cutie patootie......by the way so are YOU!!! Awesome memory!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun first birthday and a stunning card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute little boy and cute card! Love the candle strips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those cakes look so good, Melanie. And your card is just perfect for patriotic bdays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, sweet photo of you and Jonathan! I love every age. Both mine are in college now. Savor all the moments.

    Take care and STAY POSIIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your memories and your card. I never thought about making a birthday card patriotic, but it's such a great twist. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a totally adorable picture! love that sweet card too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that inspired card is fabulous! Just perfectly reflects your photos and memory!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love what you did with this card! SO creative!! Didn't know you had a July b-day in the fam, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great memory, Melanie! Love all your inspiration photos! So cute! Your card is fantastic!
    Thansk for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun project and photos, Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness such memories, LOL! That looks a LOT like my son's first birthday- he was born July 16 but his first party had to be celebrated on July 3! :) Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great card; I love the way you used the candles as the stripes. Of course, even with an aligner I couldn't have straight lines!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh this is just so precious Melanie! What a great memory and LOVe the pictures. Children sure change your perspective on things...for the better :o) Love your card and those stripes, how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, love that photo of you and j! I may borrow your idea for the cupcakes for aliya's birthday! Was thinking of you today. . .went to a water fountain park at Pease Park with my neighbor and thought you and William would totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your cake and how you did the cup cakes is just awesome. beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun picture to share of William crowning you with the bow! I love all the patriotic fare for his birthday-what a cute card! So festive

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)