Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Baptism on the Lake

Happy Wednesday! Wanted to quickly share, my younger son and I got baptized together Sunday in the lake behind our church, they do them a few times a year. I was baptized as a baby when my parents attended a Methodist church but I had never done immersion. I’d been wanting to do it anyway for several years but really wanted to wait until my children were old enough to witness it and understand what it meant. I told them after Vacation Bible School last week they were having the baptisms and that I was planning on being baptized, would they be interested in doing it, too? Unfortunately, Jonathan and his group had gone canoeing on the lake a couple days before and a counselor had told them they couldn't swim in the water or they would get sick, so "No way!" was he going in the water. Upon hearing this, William was silent on the issue. Rats. I didn't want to do it if no one was interested in coming or supportive, so I just prayed if this was the time to do it, a door would open...But then after Sunday school (on the big day!) he came out and tugged on my shirt and said, “I want to get baptized tonight!” So precious, there was my answer, the time was now!! I told him it was very special for me that we'd be together. All day I wondered if he would lose his nerve, but in the car ride there, he jumped out saying, "Let's go get BAPTIZED, MAMA!!" He started withering in the heat leading up to it (100 degrees plus), and got really impatient during the songs, so they put us near the front of the line when it was time to start. After he got dunked he came out saying ‘”Again, again!” and the pastor gave him a high 5!

This picture my husband snapped of us after we came out speaks a thousand words. I believe they baptized about 50 people that night, many who were children who made the decision to accept Christ the previous week at VBS. My kids had made the decision previously to ask Jesus in their heart, but I am so glad William and I took this step as an outward sign of our beliefs. It is an awesome thing to watch my precious son grow in wisdom, stature, and faith. :)

I also wanted to tell you, that if anything is holding you back from doing this when you've ever felt convicted, let it go and dive in! I had some hang ups previously that others might think I wasn't a Christian beforehand, as well as getting a little confused over different people telling me a person could not/should not get baptized more than once, reading different opinions on the subject (and there are as many as there are churches) but I would urge you to prayerfully consider it. :) Who knows how many would be impacted by your choice...

Gotta run! Blog hop tomorrow, no card yet, eek!

Blessings,
Melanie

32 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience to do that with your son. I remember when I came out of the water I was never the same again. It is life changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and your son! I too was baptized with my oldest son a few years ago, and it was a very special experience for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How precious this is for you and your son....my daughter and I got baptized together and it was so rewarding......my oldest brother (got 5 brothers) is a preacher and he got the chance to be baptized again in the river of Jordan....
    Thank you for sharing this with us....and your picture says it all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soooo love that you shared this! Congratulations to you both. I was baptized as a child and an adult years back before my son was born. But both my kids were baptized as infants as well. What an awesome step to take together. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to both of you for taking a step in faith that you wanted to do. As for whether ppl "think" you are a Christian or not, well, who cares what they think? It's between you and the Lord. And "by their fruits you shall know them", so immersion or not, faith is faith.
    Shala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie! Wonderful sharing, and Congratulations to you and William for taking this step! Love the photo! God bless & have a marvellous day!! {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you both. What an incredible experience to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome!!! Congratulations to both of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are angels singing in heaven for you and you son showing an outward sign of how you are on the inside -- thank you for sharing. If you have time watch this baptism (its is about 7 minutes long) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0pa_G7AILk

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing for you, and a wonderful memory for William. I can't think of anything more precious that could have been shared between you two. Thank you for sharing your story and your photo...I'm off for the tissues now! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a precious memory you have there...so meaningful! A wonderful witness too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely fantastic. I can almost hear angels singing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How awesome! What a blessing for the boys to have a good Christian momma. You will both remember this forever. I'm so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe... congrtulations, Melanie. Thank you for sharing this special experience with us!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a blessing and I bet the angel with our Lord is dancing all around.. Congratulation for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a special moment in your family's life.I believe in the power of prayer and so did you and the Lord gave you your son that day as you both shared the baptism. Congratulations and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Children learn by example and what a wonderful lesson you have shown to your children! Bless you and the guys!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very, very, very special time. I was immersion baptised as an adult after infant baptism in another church.
    I have also been blessed to see both my children baptised, (after us using the infant baptism service as a consecration of them to God), and my DH making a deeper commitment and being baptised for a second time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Melanie for sharing this special event with us! Blessings to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Melanie on your baptism! I too was baptized as a baby and finally last summer took the plunge in the icy waters of a lake in Alaska. We are called to be obedient and baptism is such I simple act of that, but so precious! God bless you! Also LOVE the lighthouse card!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for telling us about this wonderful event in your life, Melanie. I, too, was baptized by sprinkling as a 16 y/o and then by immersion as a 28 y/o. I'm SO glad I did it again by immersion. It's a whole different experience and I loved it. Congrats! (BTW, love the lighthouse card.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Words alone cannot express the joy in my heart after reading this post. :0) So glad to hear you've been baptized and was able to share that experience with your son.
    Big Hugs!
    Melisaa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda from GeorgiaJune 16, 2011 at 11:13 PM

    What a wonderful blessing. May Fatherbring many God-adventures into your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a precious experience. I hope this helps your son cling to that decision to be strong and make right choices in life!

    ReplyDelete
  25. One of my grown daughters, wife and mother of three, was baptized by emersion several years ago. We had brought them up in the Methodist Church too. I was so taken by her decision, and ever since I have thought I should also. Your testimony has nudged me closer...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Melanie! I am so HAPPY for you and your precious William! I will pray that Jonathon will take the "plunge" one day soon. It is so very special. You have wiped away your sins! Isn't that a special and incrediable feeling. I know that being baptized does not mean that you will nvere sin again, I mean we are only human after all, and the Lord knows we will. But to have that feeling is just so powerful. Or at least I would imagine it would be. I was baptized as a baby. But made my Comfirmation when I was in 8th grade,and I remember how I felt at that time. It was inexplainable!

    So, Congratulations to you and your precious one! (well they are both precious,but you know what I mean. right?)
    May God bless you and your family!
    And believe when I say that anyone meeting you or reading your blog would know that you are a Christian! It shows in the joy that you have in life and with your family!

    Hugs,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Melanie, what a wonderful experience to share with us. I was baptized in the church but my oldest daughteR was baptized in the river and it was such a beautiful sight. I could just imagine Jesus coming up out of the river when John baptized Him!!! Stay in Christ always!!!! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. enjoyed reading this special time for you and your son...I wasnt baptized until I was 36 when I first accepted Christ as my Saviour...salvation is life changing and baptism is a beautiful picture to the world of what takes place at salvation...blessings to you both!
    hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good on you and your son!

    I was also christened in the Methodist church as a baby and then baptised by immersion on a cold August night (in Australia) when I was 15. My Mum was over 50 when she decided to be immersed and my Dad also chose to go through the waters the same day even though they had been Christians for decades!

    I'm glad I found your post while doing some blog hopping this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You gave me goose bumps all over! Congratulations to the both of you....and God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love that you posted this experience for all of us to be inspired by. Congratulations to both of you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Keep up the good work; I read few posts on this website, including I consider that your blog is fascinating and has sets of the fantastic piece of information. Thanks for your valuable efforts. air conditioning repair near me

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)