Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Inferno




Wherever you live, you may have seen the catastrophic fires that are raging here in Central Texas, please please pray for the safety of all the families and first responders affected by this. Bastrop Cedar Creek, Steiner Ranch and Leander are all within close proximity of where I live, to the West, East and North. We have no rain in the forecast for the next week, this is the worst drought we've had in 50 years and more than 25,000 acres have been destroyed and over 500 homes have been completely destroyed. (Over 3 million acres have been burned across Texas already!) Please pray for miracles and RAIN! As of last night there was ZERO containment of this fire.


Thankfully, there has been very little loss of life as most have been evacuated, the fire is so bad though that they can't even fight it on the ground, dumping water with planes and helicopters. If you feel led to, please consider a donation to the American Red Cross or The Salvation Army 9you can specify a city/state for it to go to), or, if you live nearby donate supplies for those who've lost everything or are evacuated and still waiting to find out about their homes. I have friends in ALL these areas who have been evacuated waiting to find out if they will have anything to go back to, I am on pins and needles waiting to hear. They are collecting these supplies today at the Diocese of Austin, you can find a list of what they need in the supplies link above. There are also several churches in the area that are helping collect and transport items all week, you can find a convenient location online. It only took a few minutes to go through our home room by room and collect travel size hotel toiletries, clothes, books, toys and blankets and I am just so thankful we can do something in addition to praying and hoping, that all these small things will help people who are desperately in need!

If YOU have been affected by this, I AM praying for you!!

PS These are not my photos, found online to show you how bad things are, not sure who took them, but you can see news footage and more photos by Googling "Bastrop fires.

13 comments:

  1. Melanie, I've been praying for these families since I heard about it on the news yesterday. What a horrible sight - cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Amazing photos of the fires. I hope you are safe, Melanie. Prayers for all of you in the fire danger area and especially for those who have been forced from their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, the photos you posted are so much scarier than what is shown on TV here. My prayers for all those involved are ongoing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been praying and will continue too. I am glad you are safe. My brother is about an hour from this so it is close to my heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family and all the families who are in the path of this monster. As a Californian I know exactly what you are dealing with. Big hugs Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been praying for EVERYONE during this dry season. I hope you are safe, and my prayers will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of our sons and his family live in Killeen and we have everyone in Texas in our prayers constantly. We lived in the Dallas area for about four years back in the early 70's and never saw anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for letting us know to pray for you as well. I've been Googling Texas maps trying to see who is in the areas. I have a friend who is further north, but with these fires, you just can't predict how far they will travel. God keep you safe.

    Shala

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of everyone affected by the awful fires and wishing for rain for Texas. I hope your friends are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, am praying. But I suggest that people donate to the Salvation Army rather than the Red Cross. I think the money is more likely to be better and more appropriately used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My prayers are with you and the families affected by this terrible disaster, I wish I could send you some of the rain we are having in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, have been praying for you & those in the path of the fires. We were talking about ways to help just yesterday. It's a good way to help our boys see how to help with a need.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cannot even imagine what all of the people, who are affected, are going thru. Your pictures really show how bad it really is.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)