Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Short Update

A little about my birthday, the short version, I have so many chores today, ugh!

Wanted to share this beautiful birthday RAK card from Karen Haman, it was the only hand made one I got that day! What a lovely surprise! Thanks, Karen, for thinking of me! (and being on time, wow!) :)

Also, my husband surprised me that night with a fabulous cooking couples class at Central Market, Chinese food! I get cravings for Chinese all the time but since we don't really have those recipes in our repertoire or the right tools, we always just run for take out. But not anymore!

Here I am with chef, teacher and author Dorothy Huang. (She's actually about the same size as I am, I just have my big shoes on!) ;) I bought her book Chinese Cuisine, Made Simple that night and I am so anxious to try all the recipes, will be back to share what I like about the book, but in a nutshell it completely demystifies the process and it so easy to read and understand!

She was delightful and we really enjoyed getting to be hands on in this class. We had crab puffs9so fun wrapping the won tons, like origami!), honey walnut shrimp, Mu Shu Pork, and a veggie dish with baby Bok Choy and baby corn and shiitake mushrooms. I'll be back to share pics of those drool worthy dishes. (Unfortunately, I didn't take my phone I'd just use my husbands' camera phone for photos so I didn't have to mess with carrying a purse, but I didn't realize my phone takes much better than his, rats!) I came right home and ordered a wok and spider strainer on Amazon (these are the best ones, I've already done all the research for you, hee!) so as soon as they arrive, I'll be getting busy in the kitchen!

Okay, more later! Have a good one!

8 comments:

  1. LOL you funny gal!! We do LOTS of wok cooking at our house. We have that same spider strainer too! Our wok is a hand hammered one and we just really love it. I ordered it from somewhere online.. they make them all by hand and he's had it for years now. VERY nice and easy to clean too! Enjoy you're venture into Chinese cooking!!! *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn from DownunderApril 11, 2012 at 2:02 PM

    Happy, happy birthday to you, lovely lady!
    Enjoy the Asian cooking...so fun and so yum!
    Thanks for sharing! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Melanie!!! I hope you had a wonderful birhtday - just ike you!
    Wok cooking is such fun and the food is so heathy and delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good birthday Melanie! Never knew that that strainer thingy is called a spider strainer. My parents are great cooks but unfortunately, that trait did not pass onto me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Melanie! Hope the day was a good one. {{{Hugs!}}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like so much fun! Glad that you had such a great day!
    Wishing you a year full of many Blessings and cherished memories!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie! So glad to hear you had a wonderful time on your birthday. How fun to attend a Chinese cooking class! I could do with that too ;) and didn't know that strainer is a spider strainer. It's a very useful tool {grin}. Wishing you a Happy, Happy year, and may the Lord's favour and blessing be upon you and your family. {hugs}

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great experience. I've always wanted to take one of those classes,but always worry that I won't measure up or I'll be put on the spot or something silly - how was it?

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)