Thursday, July 23, 2009

Week 4: Selma Stevenson

Today I have a new project from Selma using "Arranged with Love". She colored it with peerless watercolors and then embossed it all with Iridescent Ice powder to give the whole front this beautiful shimmer.
The card opens to reveal this handcut assortment of blossoms from "A Year of Flowers", isn't that amazing?! This is a card I'd love to be there for when the recipient opens it to hear the "ooooooooooooooh!!"
Sentiment in the Nestabilities die cut is from "Say it with Flowers". Love the details like the piercing around the frame, punched border and embossing. Another top notch project, Selma!

Here are answers to some questions I had for Selma:

FAVORITE TECHNIQUE: I love to do any stamping technique. If I hear about a new technique I am anxious try it out. If I have to pick one, I guess I would say to color because there are so many ways to do it; using markers, water coloring, colored pencils, chalks, brayer, embossing, etc. I also enjoy cutting out my stamped images.

COLORS/COLOR COMBO: My favorite colors are lavender and green. I usually prefer pastels but because I love to color flowers, lots of bright colors are beautiful too. I really like to blend Barely Banana and Pretty in Pink on flowers.

FAVORITE GINA K SET BY MELAINE: I think everyone knows my answer to this one -- “A Year of Flowers”. I also love “Just So Hippy”.

FAVORITE GINA K SETS (FROM ANY ILLUSTRATOR): Any flower set for sure. I love Asela’s “Flowers for Daisy” set. This was the first set I bought from Gina. I have had a lot of fun with Theresa’s “Out West” set too. I also love using the two StampTV kits I have. Well I could keep going because I have so many favorite Gina K sets.

CRAFT SUPPLIES I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT: I love to use my Nestabilities and Cuttlebug embossing folders. I also love good quality cardstock and Basic Grey paper pads. You can’t leave out all the ink pads and coloring tools. I also need ribbon and all my embellishments such as pearls, rhinestones and brads.

I’VE BEEN STAMPING FOR (HOW LONG): The first time I heard about stamping was before there were many stamp stores and there was no Internet. Some guy was sitting at a booth at the mall one day and wanted to show me embossing powder. I was hooked and have been stamping ever since. I signed up as a SU Demonstrator almost 10 years ago and have taught monthly workshops in my home.

I GET MY INSPIRATION FROM: Lately it has been doing StampTV challenges and viewing all the fabulous galleries. Prior to StampTV, I used to hang out in my favorite stamp store discovering new products and techniques and often signing up for classes. I also enjoy reading stamping magazines and reading blogs.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS I’VE LEARNED ABOUT STAMPING/CARDMAKING ARE: The joy it brings to me and so many others. I believe the most important thing I’ve learned is the joy in sharing ideas and teaching others what I have learned. Another thing I learned is how many wonderful friends you make with other stampers. It is a strong supportive community.

SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING GOALS ARE: I would love to be a full-time design team member some day. I have really enjoyed being on the Center Stage Spotlight Design Team this month for Gina.

FAVORITE THING TO MAKE THAT AREN’T CARDS: I really enjoy making/covering boxes. I don’t make as many as I should.

SOME OF MY STAMPING/CRAFTING ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
I have had many cards published in “Stamper’s Sampler”. Stamper’s Sampler, “Take Ten", also published a four page article I wrote, titled “Make 10”. I have been published in the SUStampin’ Success” magazine. After becoming a member of StampTV, Melanie featured me as her Guest Floral Designer in May. I was featured in the first StampTV Center Stage. Melanie asked if I would be her Guest Designer for her new “Arranged with Love" set. I was so honored she would ask me. The beginning of this month I was selected, as one of six, to be on Gina’s Center Stage Spotlight Design Team. I have always thought it would be so much fun to do this so was extremely happy I was selected. Another accomplishment has been that I actually figured out how to start my Blog “Selma's Creative Corner“. It took some help from my StampTV friends, but it is up and running. I do not know that much about computers so this was a big accomplishment.
It has been a pleasure featuring her on my blog, please go look at hers now for another flower fantasy! :)

5 comments:

  1. You picked a winner when you asked Selma to help showcase your new stamp, Arranged With Love! Her flower cards are my favorites and she has created so many gorgeous cards with your flowers! Put the two of your together and you are blooming terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a pretty card love the pop up element inside so creative
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful card and the inside attention she gave is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thud
    Oh my what a winner - Selam does AMAZIING work with flowers - you got a great one Mel with Selma as a guest for you - she has really showcased your new set wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree. Selma's work is totally amazing. I wouldn't miss a post of hers for anythings. What she does with flowers and designs is awesome. What a winner you've picked.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)