Friday, October 10, 2008

Sporty Shoes, Just for You!

This project uses one of the very first designs I uploaded to my blog, but I've done some updating with my "Just So Sporty" set and finally gotten around to creating a template for it! For a pdf of the template, click here. This A2 sized shaped card* opens to look like two little shoes and looks fantastic sitting out on a shelf with the rest of your athletes trophies, team pics and memorabilia! It can be adapted for any sports you need cleats or athletic shoes(using the different sports in "Just So Sporty"), and made more colorful with a coordinating color of CS or adding stripes to the side or a "whoosh" with scrap CS. I used a Cropodile to make the holes for the laces. Buy your own shoelaces or make some from twill tape and Scotch tape wrapped around the ends like I did here. I used one piece through the holes attached at top and bottom with glue dots, then made a bow out of the remaining piece and stuck that to the top with another glue dot. For girls shoes, you may ant to try some fun ribbon instead!) and my piercing tool to poke a design into the card front (difficult to see in top pic, but see below) Embossing in a contrasting color (this is Vanilla to match my natural twill I got from SU!) is a great way to add authentic looking designs to your shoes. (Again for girls, think how fun self adhesive rhinestones and colored/shaped eyelets would be!) On this sample, I added my son's number "06" and "Soccer Star", using "Just So Sporty".

I made the sole of the shoe straight in the pattern, but the intent is for you to cut that using any decorative scissors, zig zag or scallop, whatever looks most appropriate for the "traction" you need LOL! (Edited to add: To print this template, simply click on the pic which will enlarge it, then hit print in your tool bar. (I had one person write and say they couldn't and needed a pdf file, but I just tried and it worked for me. I don't know to add the file another way, so if someone can help me with that...thanks in advance! Edited to add more: saving to a pdf is not an option on my computer or scanner, my choices are tif, png, bitmap or jpeg, help!! My mom's been working on converting it for me, but the resolution isn't good and it's cutting off one side...I'll keep working on it, hang in there!!! Edited to add even more: so how do I add a pdf here now that I have one LOL!! I tried and blogger said it couldn't recognize that format, or was corrupt... that Gina K, sending me stuff that's corrupt! just kidding!! ;))

Please enjoy this original pattern of mine, but if you share it please remember to give me credit and do not submit this design for contests, thank you!

*At this size, it is about life size to a child's shoe! If you want to make shoes for "the big guys" in your life, better plan on a larger piece of CS and custom envelope if you want them to scale!! :)

18 comments:

  1. This card is soooo cute, Melanie. I can,t however, get the pattern to print. Could you include it as a PDF file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love it! I needed something to make for my dd soccer coach. Now I know just what! THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, this is super cute and what a great card for a young athlete or a coach. I love fun projects like this. As always, you are sooooo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. It would be great for the child athletes in my life. But I too couldn't print it without the pdf file, so if anyone knows how to do that, I would also greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SO great! We're a soccer family, so I will definitely be using this! Thanks so much for the template! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable!! I tried to print it, too, and only the left half prints (right after the word *set* in #6 it cuts off. The printed picture is too wide for 8 1/2" x 11" paper and no matter what I do, it won't print in landscape :( I don't know if this would work for anyone else but maybe if the shoe was shown top to bottom instead of left to right, I think it would work. Just a suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, you need to have Adobe Acrobat (not just Adobe Reader) to be able to "print" to a PDF. This is how I usually make PDF files. I'm not sure if there is another way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this card is great!!!! What a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy incredible details on this cool sport shoe batman! She shoots! She scores! This is ultra kewl. I love the lace you made. Gorgeous template too. I can't believe it's even A2 sized. WOWOWOWOW! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is way too cute! I love it. Thanks for sharing the template and instructions. I am going to try a girl shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sooooo coooool!! I swear Mel.......you have the most creative brain!!! LOL I'll have to go check for the template!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh...this is darling!! Thanks for sharing the template and all of the deets!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)