Sunday, September 21, 2008

Faux Football

I woke up in the middle night with some inspiration for the Dirty Challenge yesterday to make a single layer card, but upon completion, I realized I hadn't done any masking (one of the requirements) so I couldn't use it. Oh well, I like how it turned out!! A tutorial with just one pic and just a few easy steps, it is very straightforward!

1. Punch 8 holes down the side of your scored and folded CS.*

2. Stamp your "logo" in black, here I used three stamps from "Just So Sporty".

3. Draw a curvy "three-humped" line to the right of your holes in black, then pierce along the line for faux stitching. (Here's a football to look at, or just copy my card!) :)

4. Run your CS through your Cuttlebug using the Tiny Bubbles folder.

5. Sponge on brown ink to to shade the sides and make the pattern pop.

6. Make a slit at the top left to thread your white grosgrain (or twill or shoelace if you have it) through. Start at the top, go down under the bottom edge with your ribbon and then pull around the left side to go through first hole at the bottom, repeating up until the ball is completely laced. Attach the end of the ribbon inside with a glue dot.

7. Round of the top and bottom right of the card by trimming with your scissors.

That's it! (Does it bug you that you don't see the entire football shape? I debated on whether to make the whole thing and then decide I like this kind of close up, "snapshot" of a football.) Down, set, HIKE!



Another shaped card coming up, (I've been getting lots of requests for it!) with a tutorial and template! Please check back! Now I'm off to check Carolyn's blog for the mother of all blog candy deets!!

*I really want a Big Bite, but I was able to pull this off with my regular Cropodile, and actually I didn't even have to mark where I was going to put my holes. If you slide it all the way into punch(which is right about where I wanted it, hee!) all the holes will line up. You need 8 for a "regulation football" (wink) so make a hole in the center. Now make one close to either end. Now punch two holes between each. 8 relatively even spaced holes!!(okay, some of you may prefer just to get out your eyelet template!) :)

PS A teensy prayer request, not huge deal, but a little worrisome: I am having some severe joint pain and stiffness in my right pointer finger(the drawing hand!!) I haven't done anything to strain it but in the morning I had pain and stiffness in it like I jammed it (but I didn't), and it has gotten progressively worse, now the whole finger as the day has passed. I've been trying to finish up a future release this past week (which I have been putting off because of migraines) and now I have this little stumbling block. I often think about how important my hands are to me, but at the same time I think how my passion for what I do is bigger than an injury or the loss of my dexterity and if somethign happens to my right, I'll just have to learn to draw with my left (although I'd definitely miss some releases, I can barely write my name with that hand LOL!), and if something happens to my left, I'll have to put the pen in my mouth (like Joni Erickson Tada) or in my left foot (like Christy Brown!)! I'm sure it will all work out, but I have noticed the past few winters I have some trouble at times holding my blocks to stamp, I have poor circulation and my mother has fibromyalgia so it's been on my mind...anyway, thanks for reading.

43 comments:

  1. Sending up prayers for you. I hope it's really nothing serious. What would we do if we has to miss some of your releases?
    BTW, love the card! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I LOVE your card! Where do you come up with these inspirations? I think that cuttlebug folder could make a basketball too, no?

    And of course you have my prayers. I have fibromyalgia and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If your finger is the only place that you have soreness and stiffness then I doubt it would be fibromyalgia since I have a lot of pain in so many areas. I'm sure your mom has told you about pressure points & fibro. If you have any questions, you know where to find me. But I do think you should go see your doctor. You might have injured it without knowing it or maybe developing arthritis in it. There are medications to help with that and maybe even some exercises?

    I understand how important it is to be able to do things you are passionate about. I pulled a tendon in my wrist a few years ago and had to wear a splint - I couldn't paint or do any crafting because of the pain and it really worried me. Thank goodness I was able to recover and get back to my "therapy".

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. *blows whistle* 5 card penalty on Mel for being so dang ingenious!! haha! This is just awesome! I want to be inside your head, scoping out all your ideas, lol! LOVE it!

    Will definitely send up a prayer for you! It is scary, no matter how minor it may be, when it affects us doing something we are passionate about. It does sound like a touch of arthritis in you finger, well, at least the doc said its the start of it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this card is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That card is fantastic!!! I see a CASE coming on!!! Prayers for you and your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, your creativity never ceases to amaze me. This is fantastic! I will be sending out loads positive thoughts for your hand. Take care. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. FANTASTIC.......love this!
    Take care of yourself--call me if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is amazing...and you KNOW I will definitely pray for you. Hang in their girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is fabulous! may need to make one for John - nah. I'll just show him yours! go to the Dr. and yes, you will be in my prayers - get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope everything is ok and your in my thoughts and prayers. WOW this card is just awesome. I love how you used the ribbon. You come up with such creative ideas. I just stare at your creations and think how does she come up with these ideas. YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mel,
    Your football card is fantastic. I am always amazed by your wonderful ideas. Have you tried Noni lotion for your hands. I use it for my fibro and it helps. If you would like me to send you a bottle, email me at anitamocha@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie,

    I am 51, soon to be 52..I have had migraines since I was about 19 yrs old, they are AWFUL, but there are much worse things in life. I also was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 5 years ago..I would think that...1. if it's only in your finger, probably more like arthritis...I have a lot of that in my feet because I danced for 21 years...2. A doctor app't. for a "professional" opinion. NO MATTER WHAT....I am SURE you will continue to create BEAUTIFUL things..it's just a part of you..like breathing!! Prayers with you...let us know how things work out!!
    In Peace & laughter......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Love this card. Mind if I Case it? Perfect time of year for this card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so cool and creative.
    Big hugs.. My mom has the fibromyalgia, hopefully it doesn't get to that point. Prayers being sent your way. Can't have you missing release parties. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant football, Melanie! That is so creative.

    Get your finger checked out ASAP! That finger gets a lot of use. It's your "mouse-clicking" finger too, right? It could be inflammation from overuse. I get tendonitis in my wrist and elbow when I use a mouse too much. I've got bad knees from playing too much tennis in college, so I've developed osteoarthritis in both knees. It flares up on occasion. We've got to take care of ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH what a FUN, FUN football card!!! Sending you hugs and prayers!!! There's no way we can afford to lose your artistic talent in this world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Melanie, there is a slight possibility you have the start of arthritis. I have it in both hips and knees, but I do have some medication that I only take once every week or two and sometimes three. I hope that maybe you accidentally jammed it and really don't remember when. Go see your doctor if it gets worse or doesn't appear to let up.

    Love your football card. it is adorable. Thanks for more inspiraiton.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool!!! I have fibromyalgia too and it's the worst! I'll be praying for you also!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great card, Melanie. Will keep you in our prayers. Aches and pains are no fun, even if they aren't from anything dramatic.
    Gail S.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear about your finger; get to the doctor as soon as you can.

    This card is so clever. I don't miss seeing the whole ball at all. I think it's more dramatic that way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Melanie go get checked out for Gout. This disease no no age limits and is very painful and very treatable. AND contrary to belief it does not always appear in the Big toe. Somestimes a simple diet change can relieve the pain and there will be a list of foods to stay away from.. MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about your finger. Could it be arthritis? You may want to have it checked for this and nip it in the bud early. I really hope it is just sore and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an absolutely fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an awesome football card! Big hugs to you. . .you're in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great card! Thanks for sharing how the steps to creating it. I'm praying that the stiffness you are encountering is nothing serious. You have a wonderful spirit and such a great attitude. Thanks again for sharing!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melanie - hope your finger is just tired from overuse! My good thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alright lady = go get this checked out by your Dr.! If it's the onset of arthritis, it can be fixed where it's not a concern (my husband has this problem with his hands, but with medication he hardly notices). Don't put off going... the stress that comes from worrying about what it could be is lots worse! Prayers for you just said!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Goodness, girl!! This totally rocks for the foolball fans in our lives!! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Melanie, per your usual another great card. Sounds like you have a trigger finger and if so it is easy to rectify but I know they can be very painful. Go see an ortho doc. There are many that specialize in just hands. We doing you my best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)