Sunday, March 30, 2008

Alter it!! Tutorial

Well, I wish I could say I'm giving away $5K. I'm not. This is an insert that fell out of a Newport catalog that arrived at my house last week(maybe you got one, too? I've never bought anything from Newport, yet still I get a catalog every now and again) Anyway, I was really drawn to the colors and smokin' hot lady images, saw some definite papercrafting potential here! (I've been wanting to do some really cool "girl on the go" tins, but would you have believe I don't own any cool girl stamps?? Nope, no bellas, like em, but don't have any. Rubber Romance I really like, too, especially "Melanie"(hee!) but don't have those either! so I had to get creative...)


I did NOT want the white text on my tin, so here's a really neat way to crop/paper piece a custom label together using the a label image from What's in Your Tin?2. I stamped it on the corner so I'd have the large girl on the left. (It's okay the dollar sign is still in there, wait and see.)
Next I cut around the outline of the label with my snips and then just went around the right side of her silhouette.
Now I need the top right hand corner. on the back of the insert was the same artwork (flipped) so I stamped my label again to have the paparazzi clicking pics over her shoulder, and cut out on the line.
And here's the finished tin with the images glued together to make one new label! Cool, huh?! I added an adhesive rhinestone to one lens, and matted it on black CS, part of the cover of my DCVW All Dressed Up mat pack(that showed the diffrent pattern swatches!). Perfect match for these colors and artwork on the insert.
Gotta go, I'm a little irked becuase I spent a lot of time writing the end of this post, had it saved, and when I posted it, I noticed it cut off the end, can't find it anywhere!!! Hopefully I don't need to start backing up all my text in another location, grr :( (So I had to come back in and at least finish the directions, but can't redo all the rest right now! more later!)

20 comments:

  1. simply awesome! LOVE that paper--perfect for this tin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PRICELESS! I just love your creative style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PURE GENIUS!! I love this tin Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UBER-KEWL!!! I just love the paper piecing idea as it gives so much freedom on how to add the images!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWsers! Amazing, Melanie. Thanks for sharing, I will look at ads in a whole new way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so dang creative!!! just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SHUT.UP.CUTE!
    love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very creative. Turned out great. Love your inspiration.
    JoAnn B. scrappingnana4@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. GET OUT! That is one smokin' hot tin! I love, love, love that you took it from an advert. From junk mail to ART!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful and such a creative use of what most of us simply refer to as junk papers that often drive us all crazy when they fall out of magizines and such. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a clever artistic crafter with a crafter's eye, & I totally enjoy your ideas! This was AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How smart are you! Without your step by step instructions no one would have ever known where that came from! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow stunning I never would have guessed where that came fro. love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that's how you spell "creative"!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've just won my kudos for creativity! And that is saying something because I read LOTS of blogs. Now I'm going to start looking at EVERYTHING that comes through my hands in a different light. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW - amazing - who wouldda thought? You did - that's who! It's really pretty! Love it
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it - what a great way to recycle! I finally got a chance to play with your set and let me tell you after so many years of altering these tins...you have made my life a breeze! I love how it leaves such a clean finish. I posted a pic of it on my blog and have another about done which I'll post later on this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Again - You have such a great imagination. I love your "recycling"! Keep up the inspiring work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I love it! I am forever saving little flyers, thinking I'd do something with them! Thanks for the great idea! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is soooo cool!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)