Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sweet Tooth!

My boys aren't losing teeth yet, but at almost 6 years it could be any time for Jonathan now! I had to remember when making a "boyish" tooth tin not to make it too baby/cutesy looking since kids don't usually start losing teeth til they're about 6-8. (In fact, by the time he actually does start losing his teeth, he'll tell me he needs "camo" paper! Now that he's in kindergarten, he think he's become the quite authority on what's "cool" and "not cool" . Cute things are "cute", and cute, if you're a 5 year-old boy, is "not cool".) We'll see if he wants it or maybe I'll be gifting this one, I just love these colors and big spots and dots.



This is DP from a DCVW 12X 12 pack. A strip 12 inches (or a little less if you don't want the overlap) by (just a hair under) 1/2 inch is perfect for wrapping around the side of the tin to match your top. I stamped the "my tooth..." on the DP AND a white piece of CS. Then I sketched simple tooth shape (a loose "M" for the top connected by a loose "W" for the bottom!) on the white CS over the word "tooth", cut out, and lined up with my stamped image on the DP(just like with paper piecing, it fits perfectly!) I used my "postage stamp" edged scissors to cut around the inside border of this label, then stamped the label again on Real Red CS and cut around the outside edge with snips for the mat.

Remember these little images from SU!'s "Fairy Nice"? I just love these little fairies, will probably be hanging onto this set forever, they're just so dainty and sweet. I stamped the label and my tooth first, then positioned them around the words so their faces would be showing, just eyeballed it. I used my stardust gel pen to accent the wings and fairy dust, and an EK success punch for the flowers with adhesive rhinestones in the middles. For my layers on this one, I used the same label image* as on the tin above, but this time the DP(SU!) is the mat. I used my snips to cut my focal layer (again on the inside border, straight cutting this time), and stamped on the reverse side of the DP, using a medium scallop scissor on the border, then flipped so you'd just see my scalloped edge. There are so many ways to cut these labels to change the look, I will show you in an upcoming post.

TIP: When choosing which border label you want for your tin, try matching the thickness of the lines in the font of your sentiments with the border. * The "my tooth" is thick so I used the thick border. For the more delicate word stamps in these two sets, try the "double lined narrow" border. Several of the sentiment stamps have both thick and thin lines making up the letters. Which is why I gave you a border with a thick and thin line! :) I think about these things, you know, always looking out for ya! ;) If you go back through my other tin posts, I think you'll find I've stuck to this pretty consistently when choosing, but this is, of course, just suggestion, not a rule. Using thick with thin and vice versa can look great, too. Another easy way to decide on the look your border should have is from the patter of your DP chunky patterns look good with the thick, striped paper, look at the width of the stripes, etc :)


*You might be wondering then about that really fat border is for then?! wait til you see...! (it's a good one!)


PS Remember back in the day when we got a quarter or loose change for those teeth?? I've been informed the stakes are MUCH higher now: 5 bucks?? Maybe I need to make myself a tooth tin to start saving up money for all the upcoming tooth fairy visits! (better get to designing some more stamps!)

15 comments:

  1. These tins are so stinking cute! I ordered my stamps and a couple of tins yesterday. I can't wait to play!!!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both look great! A cool one and a cute one. Thanks for the tip about the thickness of the lines. I guess I never gave that a conscious thought. Makes complete sense. Can't wait to see more samples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so cute! LOVE the fairy one. . .perfect for girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute... I love your big tooth and the dots, but those little fairies are too cute, my daughter would love those! :-)

    You better be prepared though... Naomi started losing her teeth in kindergarden I think, but Noah lost his first one almost 3 months ago and he is only turning 5 next week!! I couldn't believe it, but my dentist said that losing a first tooth usually ranges between 4 1/2 years old and 6 years old!

    Just my luck that the autistic one gets to lose them early so he doesn't understand what's going on! I had to take him to the dentist both times (he lost the two bottom middle ones so far!).

    It's true that he is already the size of a 6 years old so I guess it makes sense!...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! looking forward to making/sending one to my niece (but that's a few years away) HA! Thanks for looking out for us *wink* YES! design them and we will buy (like Field of Dreams)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! We are beyond little ones losing teeth, but I am thinking wouldn't this be a cool gag gift for a 50th and up birthday! A tin for "old" teeth! BwaHaaaaawaaahaa! There are sooo many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tins are wonderful. In our house the tooth fairy leaves $1/tooth--guess we've got a cheap tf. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh........cuteness!! And camo is actually a good design for a boy.....it's long-lasting and stays cool for years!!! LOL My boy is 15 and still addicted to camo!!! ;) Hmmm.......shall I make him one of these for his wisdom teeth??? ROFL Except I'm sure I don't enough money for THOSE!!!!

    The fairies are so sweet!!! I love little fairies, so I have to make one for me......hmmmm......I'm not keen on yanking out any of my teeth though!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE these tooth fairy tins! I'm not sure who told you about the 5 bucks, but don't cave!!!! Kid's don't need $5 a tooth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! I have to make one of those for my niece Taylor!! The one with the fairy is so cute!! Great, thanks!!! Just what I needed, to have to buy more stuff!!hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh you are so creative! D was spending the night at a friend's house when the tooth fairy visited; now that D has her first loose tooth she insisted that we needed to BUY a toothfairy box. Being cheap, I said "no." This should be the perfect compromise. Maybe we'll make one today.

    BTW - I think they are cute but with the Astros colored dots - the boy one is very COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need a SALE page so you can sell all these beautiful creations?? I absolutely love the Princess tooth box but know that that set (princess) is retired (isn't it?) My daughter is SO into PINK (that's includes food!), PRINCESSES, and anything BABIES!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol, a little tooth fairy savings account, of sorts! It seems inflation knows no bounds! These are both totally adorable! I love the little girly one with the fairies, only 5 1/2 more years till my little Hannah needs one, lol! I need to make one for my nephew, Anthony right away--he's already loosing those babies! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both of these, and that fairy is soooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)