Monday, January 21, 2008

He's Cheap and Easy, Ladies...!

Wow, so that's what "traffic" is! I got almost 2000 hits on my blog the last 24 hours, thanks to Gina K for sharing a link to my treat box(and I did not pay her to do that!) So WELCOME to lots of new visitors, thank you very much for stopping in, hopefully I can keep you coming back!

I had to follow up yesterday's project with another treat box so my hippy wouldn't be left out, and I got inspired by Carolyn's adorable treat holder with the round window. Well, of course, ROUND made me think of... something else round! This one costs almost nothing and is even easier to assemble than the clear box project I posted.

You'll need: a hybrid ink that allows you to stamp on plastic, small ziplocs(I found these in the jewelry section at Hobby Lobby, you can get a hundred bags for a dollar or two, it doesn't cheaper than that! These measure 2" x 3.5"*), a large circle punch like 1 3/8"(oh yeah, you need a big one for this baby!), a stapler, CS, and candy. You may also want to use ribbon and suplies to color it.
Cut your CS to 2 1/2" x 8". Score the CS at 4"and 4 3/4". Stamp the hippo on the shorter side with this feet parallel to the score.

Slide your CS into punch with the hole facing up so you can center the tail and punch. Stamp your hippo on the ziploc back and heat set to prevent smudging(just a second or two at a time, checking as you go, it doesn't take much and you don't want to melt your plastic.)

Fill the bag with candy (jelly bellies here), seal and center behind your window. Fold the top over and attach, stapling is easiest and won't come undone (this is a good safeguard, too, to keep snacking crafters such as myself from eating the treats before distributing, you're locked out LOL!)

Cover with a ribbon to hide the staple. (After this pic I decided to add a strip of white under the flap that I'd cut with scallop scissors to jazz it up a bit and echo the little toes. You can see it in the finished pic at top. I accented the eye, tooth and toes with my white gel pen and a little pink to the ear and cheek with marker or watercolor brush, and that was it, no other coloring! Stamp the balloon and greeting of your choice on white CS, cut and mount on a dimensional. Adhere above the window, and add a line for a string with your Sharpie, as in yesterday's project.

All done!! You could make these little treats in no time for just pennies apiece, not only because of the cost of supplies but they require a lot less candy to fill. They'd also be adorable for a baby shower, just change your greeting to "hey baby"! You could also substitute bath salts for the treats.

Thanks again for looking! (Next project, I'm thinking "MONKEY"!) Today is my one month blogaversary, so I'm working on a little blog candy to celebrate, but not done yet, will post soon, so please keep checking back!

12 comments:

  1. cute cute cute!
    I'm posting a Hippy Card tomorrow -I'm having just SO much fun with this set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so cute...Melanie!! What a great project! I love that cute guy, and I am getting the urge to use my giraffe next. Hmmmm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love the color scheme here. Thanks so much for "showing" us how to do this to. Love it....and congrats on all the hits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Kelly

    Come to my site and enter to win my blog candy...
    www.kellysartjournaling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found your blog through Beate's and I just love it. Your work is great and very inspirational. I wanted to try your treat box from yesterday but since I don't have any clear boxes, I couldn't. But I am going to try today's treat box! I just have to find the appropriate stamp, since I don't have your adorable hippo :(
    And happy blogaversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO CUTE! Love the idea and the colors... TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. New subscriber here; via a friend who found the link from Gina before I could. :D

    Thanks for sharing such cute ideas! Congrat on all the htis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY GOSH!!! This gives me goosey bumps! I soooo love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so cant wait to see what ya got next. I really really like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is darling.. I so love your stamps..

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these treat boxes are just adorable! LOVE that hippo! I've been seeing a lot of him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Akkk...love this hippo treat holder. cleverrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)