Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sneak Peek: Hand in Hand

A few months ago, I was going through my drawings trying to decide which of my planned sets would be most appropriate for my December release, and Gina reminded me to start thinking about Valentine's Day on the way. Now at the time, my mother was doing hospice care for my grandfather, so my mind was very focused on family and relationships. Over and over I kept coming back to connecting with someone by holding hands, and started sketching pair after pair of clasped hands. When I finished, I felt I had something very special and unlike any set I had or had seen before. Gina agreed it would make perfect Valentines , but when we reveal all the images and greetings included, you'll see it's much more than that. In this month's set "Hand in Hand", you will find vignettes celebrating two people bonded in this simple, intimate touch, in every stage of life: happy ones like birth, friendship, love, marriage, and hard ones when someone is sick or needing help and support.

For today's peek, I chose a "happy" one, with a sentiment I am so excited to bring you: "Soulmates"! (fits in the SU! oval punches) You'll find other words in this set that are sure to give you warm fuzzies and I doubt you have in your stamp collection... yet! :)

Although the "woman" is not wearing a glove in the image, it is fun and easy to add one to make it look like a formal wedding by piecing a silky glove from white shimmery CS as I did above. Just draw a line across the arm at the desired length, cut out (fingers, too!) and attach to your first stamped image with a Quickie Glue Pen for those small parts, doesn't that look real? The image is colored with Copics (Skin White, Baby Skin Pink, c-3, Black, all from Box A) I went over the underside of the shimmery CS as well with my gray marker to give it a shadow. The little cuff link dot is filled in with my Stardust glitter pen. I blinged up my black fancy corners to match with self adhesive rhinestones.

Now that little winged heart is made from the other half of the Fancy Corner Punch, I told you I had something special planned for it! :) Punch out two of the thicker corners from the punch in Real Red and White CS. Now snip off each top of the corner with a rounded cut on each side and down into av to connect and make the heart. On the white one, snip down between the "wings" a little deeper so you won't have the "little diamond" sticking up above your heart. layer the red and the white, and add a little shadow with a gray marker under the wing if I desired. On my card, I punched out one more in black and layered it behind the two just to make it a little more dimensional and show up against my Black Market Ebony and Alabaster DP.


Last you can see the inside of my card which I dressed up with more of the DP under my white layer that I punched with Threading Water. I made this card with my husband in mind, but you could change the greetings out to make an anniversary card or wedding day card (where it can say "the journey begins...") with this image as well.
There's something about all these hands that reminds me of a special, different moment in my life each time I look at them, and evokes such strong images and sensations: the one above I hear the wedding recessional (LOL!), another reminds me of meeting my sons and smelling "new baby", one I hear crunching leaves on walks with my mother and father when I was young, and still another makes me feel the warmth and safety friends and family have offered when I needed it most...I would love to hear about a favorite "hand in hand" moment of yours below...! (chances are GOOD I have an image to match for you!) ;)
I hope you all will love this set as much as I do. They are such simple images to color and will be one of my "go to sets" when I need a quick card to let someone know, in good times or bad, I'm here for them, or how grateful I am to have them in my life! ( And, I really am going to try to tackle my neglected scrapbook, this set is so appropriate for the many occasions I need to journal!!)

Would you like to win this set? Please create a card, page or 3-D project inspired by a favorite "hand in hand" memory of yours (it does not have to use hands, can have any stamped images, photos, found objects you choose, go nuts!) and upload the pic to Papercraft Planet with the tag GKDMMSJ, I will pick one winner randomly and announce it tomorrow night at 6:30 PM before our release party tomorrow night (7-10PM CST) in the SCS Gina K forum! I will ALSO pick a favorite project and that person will receive be a guest designer for me NEXt month and receive my January set(which you will LOVE!) Good luck, I want everyone to play and I hope you join us for more peeks at the party!!

and Carolina Buchting, our In the Spotlight Designer this month!

36 comments:

  1. oooh - what a cool idea! I've got a story for this image, lol! gotta love kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card Melanie!!!! Awesome contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, this set is fantastic!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh,this set evokes so many feelings,Mel!

    ~Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Mel, I love this. These hands are so romantic and make we think of the couple walking out on the dance floor for the first time as husband and wife...and what you did with that punch...that punch is going on my wish list...awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable card and the touch of red just really pops! Also your sentiment treatment is just perfect with the little rhinestones on each end...just ties the whole card together so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your new set so far Melanie! I have a favorite "hand in hand" moment of my boys, I hope I get to do your challenge, it sounds SO fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, such a simple image yet so powerful. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous, Melanie! Love how you used the punch. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I'm anxious to see the rest of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you show how versitile that punch is! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing twist on this stamp! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how sweet! I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Melanie I love this set! I've always had a thing for hands, I think they are so expressive! I love pictures (especially black and white) of hands... When I saw the preview On Gina's blog with the baby's hand...♥... it's all I can think about right now, holding my little guy's tiny hand.
    I'm sure this set talks to a lot of people!♥
    You did it again! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I've been checking out all the previews and had to come tell you how fantastic this set looks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. INCREDIBLE!! I love the heart and the glove and your coloring...

    beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful new set, Mel -- your card is gorgeous, love that winged heart!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW Mel! What a great set. I love it!!!! And this card is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous card and what a great set! I am anxiously awaiting.......

    Stef H

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! This is absolutely gorgeous!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your card! I have the perfect card for your contest and I can even upload it now that I have my internet back! I have been without it for over a week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wonder if my comment was accidentally left on someone else's blog (ooops!) I ADORE this card (of course I saw it IRL today too and *more* so I love it even more!) love the glove idea - never woulda thought about that! the winged heart - too clever! you're too clever for your body, too clever for your body (had to do it AGAIN!) HA! enjoyed lunch! *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  24. BEAUTIFUL Mel---still cannot believe that you peiced that hand---this is so great and love the heart detail!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh..I can't wait to the see the entire set. It looks like it is going to be amazing.
    I would love to win..but I am so busy that I really don't have time. But thanks for the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, perfect for my anniversary! I love your thinking Melanie. You are always a winner in my book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! This set is awesome. I have tears in my eyes just remembering all those special moments. I am blown away at how beautiful and versatile this set is. I am hoping to find time to take part in your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another fabulously unique stamp set Mel!!!! And oh that white glove is just awesome!!! I'm so sorry I can't play this quickly, but sure will look forward to your fantastic winner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this set and your challenge just brought tears to my eyes! I won't have enough time to create a card to go with my favorite "hand in hand" memory, but maybe I could just let you know. My 2 1/2 year old daughter likes to sleep with Mommy and Daddy on the weekends. When she snuggles in with me (I often go to bed first), she says, "Mommy, hold my hand". Sometimes, I fall asleep with her little hand in mine. Thank you for bringing this to the front of my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so sweet and beautiful!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Melanie. This is it. The first set you've created that actually makes me tear up. I don't even have to see the rest--your description gives me the picture an it is perfection. What a simply beautiful idea and only brought to fruition so beautifully thru you and Gina together. I love it and love you! You are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hands together for a HUGE round of applause 'cause you ROCK! This set looks out of this world amazing! You just keep getting more & more amazing & inspiring. What a stunning idea. I love your card. SO classy, and the DTs samples are all gorgeous too. WOW! I'm blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeous card. I'm lovin' this new set!! And how you used that punch is simply Brilliant!!!
    hugs, Jami

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)