Saturday, January 17, 2009

Memory in a Tin

Here is a set of memory matching cards and a tin to hold them for my son William, using Asela's "Framed Friends" and my "What's In your Tin? I" label image for the top. What was so perfect about this "Framed Friends" set for this, the smaller images were perfect for making a "mini version" to decorate the top and show what the tin holds: their larger versions inside! Having that custom fit Altoid border to match the cards just pulls the whole thing together.

I used my Just-Rite Rectangle stamper and Times Roman Alphabet I got from Donna to spell William's name. (Thanks, Donna!) I filled the the border in with one of my Copics, and then trimmed and adhered to the tin (click here to purchase these tins, everyone always asks me after a tin project post where to get them LOL!!) with DotnRoller, great adhesive for projects like this!

The cards are all done on Gina K Pure Luxury 120 lb CS. This is necessary to keep your colors from bleeding through. If you click on the pic, you will see I kept the colors very bright and solid, with limited shading, although there is a touch here and there. This look is really nice for vivid kids projects. (but quite honestly all these pairs took quite awhile to color without adding lots of other shades LOL!) The border on these images are filled in with the same green as on the top. All Copics are from BOX A. As you can see the drawn borders of the stamp images are slightly wonky, so I deliberated about free hand cutting them to match their drawn borders but in the end, I decided it was best to do straight cuts and a corner rounder punch for the corners since they were all slightly different shapes, this way you get a nice even deck.

And here you can see how I decorated the backs of the cards with the one flower image from the set in the center of each. See? No bleed through! The thick and smooth finish of the paper makes it seem like a store bought game almost, just like real playing cards!
William is just enchanted with this gift, I thought he might be getting a little old for Memory when I made it (he'll be 4 in a couple weeks), but he plays with it often and never has to be reminded too put it away because he likes packing them up in his personalized tin! (I think even at his age he knows the hand colored images took a lot of time and makes it extra special) :) Try a set yourself, your little one is sure to love it, too! :)

I have a big announcement that I will be putting in a separate post later today to make sure NO ONE misses it!

31 comments:

  1. Very cute idea!! I think even my First Grader still loves memory matching games and I KNOW she'd love the personalized tin!! And you're right about making things that take a while they seem to treasure more - both my kids are that way. They both have mini photo scrapbooks I made them of "mom growing up" and they are so good to take care of them and even tie the ribbon back around them!! I may have to make my youngest a tin! (Light bulb moment!!) My oldest might like a tin of songs he's played at his piano recitals over the last 6 years??!! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a brilliant idea - hope you don't mind but I might do the same for my nephews :) Your cards are so cute and so beautiful. Lovely. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful set!
    This is what mothering is all about to me! It would be so easy to got to the shops and buy a similar game, but the thought and effort and time and love put into this, will stay with William forever. I'm so impressed.
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea. That'd make a great gift for any little one. Thanks again for your brillance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a fantastic project! I think any child would love to have such a special set! Thanks for the idea!

    Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how creative I think all kids love that game heck I love it LOL
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this tin when you first posted it, and I just won Framed Friends as blog candy from the oh-so-sweet Jennie Harper http://stampawaytheday.blogspot.com/, so I think I'm about ready to make a set! My son just turned 4...cool! You know, as they get a bit older, we could make sets of "real" decks using 4 of the images as the clubs, spades, hearts and diamonds and adding the numbers with some alpha stamps or something....I'm sure you could come up with a good way to execute--hint, hint! LOL. Thanks, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! Would make great gifts for my nieces and nephews. This stamp set is perfect for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Mel, what a wonderful idea!! We make so many gifts for the 'big kids' with our craft, and now we have one for those little hands!! Great idea!!
    Kim Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is adorable!!! I'm really loving this set recently. And I LOVE all your little tin projects....so inspiring.

    I can't wait to see what you have brewing for us later today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a GREAT idea! A perfect something special to have here at Grandma's house for my great-grandchildren to play with when they visit me. They would love it. Thanks again for your inspiration. - Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Your coloring turned out beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. this came out super cute! going to have to make Gabby one this year *when I have time* ha! knew you'd get a lot of use out of that font/stamper! you're welcome *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute and inspiring idea! Love the tin! The colors are so pretty! Thank you for sharing this idea Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great project idea and execution ! I'm amazed and amused everyday I visit you....my Great Granddaughter is just 4 yr, and her Mom is preparing her for school...what a perfect "cause I love you gift" idea ! Now I know whatI'll be working on this week !
    GramaCat

    ReplyDelete
  16. NO WAY! That is too cute!!! That's a great "road trip game". I know something like that would entertain my little one on our trips to my sister's or my MIL's instead of fighting with brother and sister and driving me nuts...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel,

    What an adorable udea..

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. So clever and cute, Melanie!! Your coloring is fabo too!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic project....now there is another set I need from GinaK....the list just keeps growing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful project! These are the perfect stamps for a match game. I just love it, and I'm sure William will too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So super cute!!! I can't wait for your announcement...wonder what it will be...

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea and what a lucky little guy. Thank you for letting us know which boxes the markers come from. I have B & D (hubby chose them for Christmas). I am always trying to figure out if I need to purchase A & C or if I would do better getting more by individual purchases. When others gals list just the numbers I feel like I have to go and research if I own it and if now then what box would it come in....... Again thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable idea! Love it! I can't wait to try Gina's paper...love the bright colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute idea. My daughter is almost 3 1/2 and I think she would love something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WHat an absolutely fantastic idea!! I think I just might have to make a set of these for my little one!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely Love this idea for the little ones! My Granddaughter has just started this game. She is two and we only play with 3 or 4 sets to start, so she doesn't get frustrated. She is just fascinated with it, and wants to play over and over. I am going to make her a game set of her very own! Thanks so much for sharing your beautifully colored and clever set!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great gift idea! I just don't know how you do it. Not only are you raising a family but you come up with so many awesome projects. YOU ROCK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love these stamps and how you used them.
    What a great idea. I am definitely going to use this idea for a gift for a young person. I really love how you colored them too. They are so beautiful and bright. Thanks for the tip on the paper. As always you amaze me with your ideas and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Adorable little valentine gifty idea too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I so love this! Must make me one of my own. The images are colored perfectly for little kids' hands!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)