Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sneak Peek Day 2: Best Fishes and Warm & Fuzzy

This is probably one of my favorite shaped cards I've ever created, a fishbowl inspired by the "Drop me a line!" sentiment and the little worm on a hook in Gina K's newest "Best Fishes". Recognize the kitty? It's from Asela's "Framed Friends" set from last month, and it works swimmingly with the Gina's set. ;)
Start by placing your circle die overlapping a 4 1/4" square folded card and cut. (f you don't have a die, trace a bowl or something overlapping the scored edge and cut through both layers.)

Next I stamped the fish and worm to the right so that the fish appears to be checking it out! :) With my die in place as a mask, I sponged some Cool Caribbean ink around the edges of the bowl. When you remove it, you'll have water in the bowl and the illusion of solid glass walls around the edge.

I colored my images with Copics and cut the kitty out of the frame, gluing him just below the edge of the card, centering a paw over the worm so I could draw a line down to attach it to the hook.

I had already photographed this card for the log and then realized how much better it could be if I pulled out of the multicolored beads I almost never use and added them to the bottom for gravel! A little Crystal Lacquer on the bottom before sprinkling them on and gently pressing them in. I removed a few that were poking out over the edge so it would look like they were all contained within the bowl.

Inside I added the sentiment and a few bubbles also from the set. This was really fun to make (and still fits in an A2 envelope.)

My next peek: more animals! I love this little love bird on a swing from Asela's new "Warm & Fuzzy", so I would thought it be cool if I could find a way to hang him up! I just got these heart Nestabilities with Valentine's' day coming, they seemed a perfect solution and pretty way to frame the image.

After cutting through both the Basic Grey Bittersweet DP and Gina K Pure Luxury 120 lb base, I poked a hole at the top of the heart and threaded a jump ring through, then made a hole through the top of the chain image and threaded the ring through that.

Here is a closeup of the bird. (I like him giving him a little nudge with my finger to get him rockin'!) I colored it with Copics and tried to subtly create a little heart on his breast, did you notice? :) I also traced the wire with a Copic Silver Spica. Now this is important: I used the Gina K 80 lb CS for my image. This means my Copics bled through to the inside....

... which allowed me to see my coloring and trace with a pen to create a back for him! The coloring wasn't completely solid, but there was enough for me to see his shape and add more color. I didn't draw in the beak or feet since you wouldn't see those....
I hope you enjoyed these peeks! To see more of these sets from our team, please visit:
Last day of peeks tomorrow, and then the big party! :) I hope you'll join me, thanks for stopping in!

51 comments:

  1. Wow! I love how you created a fish bowl for your fish. the cat is such a neat touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on that fishbowl...love the fish peering over. Love the bird card too (great minds..hehee! love the bird backside too--couldnt resist!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So creative, Melanie! Love what you did with the fish bowl! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative, love your amaizing creativity! Hugs, Moni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh that fishbowl is tooo darling!!!! I love the kitty on top just waiting to pounce!!! LOL And what a gorgeous bird....I love the hanging design!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are so cute. I'm saving them for future use. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! Both cards are amazing. What fabulou details. TFS your mini tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say! It's just brilliant! Love it, love it, love it!
    Viv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea using the two sets together for the bird card, and having the color on the bird bleed through to define his backside! Both cards are wonderful and creative, as always. And yes, I noticed the heart on the bird's chest right away! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, your cards are adorable. I'm constantly amazed by your creativity. thanks for sharing it with us.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're too much! (in a good way, of course) I love 'em

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing! two creative and cute,cute cards. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie, your peeks are awesome. I love the beautifu red bird framed in a heart. And you are just to clever for words to make a fish bowl card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melanie: You must lay awake at night with all the creative ideas running through your head! Both cards are wonderful.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG....you continue to blow my mind! I LOVE the little fish bowl. Adorable!!!!!

    The bird is really cute too....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super adorable, Melanie! I love both of your cards - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel, you never fail to amaze me!!! These are SO cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love, love, love it! You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, just love the goldfish bowl, consider it snagged TFS Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really, really love both cards. I thought the fish bowl was so creative, and then I saw the backside of the bird! Both are just too cute! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You amaze me everyday with your creative talent and MAJOR inspiring projects. This fish bowl card is just fabulous and I just love all the details you added to this adorable card. Now your heart card is just so fabulous and just love your coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The fish bowl is the absolute cutest card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, both of these are entirely too cute and completely ingenious!! You are like a creative goddess!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cards are fantastic!!! Love that fish bowl!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These cards are both stunning. I love the creativity of creating a fish bowl and having the cat peering over the top. The coloured beads are a fabulous finishing touch.

    The hanging bird with a coloured back is great. It really completes the card.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it
    Thanks for the tutorial. Now I have to see if I can make a round card. I have to get some copics. I just love what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow I love these going to try the designs just great cards
    hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the bird one. That is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your fish bowl...now I have another good use for ll the beads I have around the house left from my beading days........

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both cards are fantastic! I love that fishbowl and the 'rockin' bird!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome, Melanie!! I totally LOVE them both!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those are totally cute Mel! LOve the details you put in these!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a cute fish bowl card. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. O Melanie you are always the one that makes me feel the need to OWN a new release.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What adorable cards! I love the beads in the fish bowl and I love the bird one! So cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fabulous, Melanie, just fabulous! LOVE all the detail you put into your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very cool and oh so creative! I love the different shapes you used to make these cards. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You are just so creative--you amaze me all the time! Super sneak peaks--love the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  39. OH! so creative! I like that fish bowl and the way you cut out the heart on the other card.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I like using different designs and shapes for cards and making it a little bit more creative...and thats what I see here!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh a bird butt! haha! J/K! Too cute! I love your ideas in creating these cards, the cat peaking over the fishbowl and the swinging birdie! Awesome as usual Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  42. As always. love your cards!! You rock girl!! Blessings and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Melanie, this is so cute! I love the way you did the fishbowl. So creative, I love the way you combined the two sets! I am so enjoying this release (I do ever one) but it just seems to be getting better and better! I also love the bird swinging in the heart, so cute and love the way he is colored on both sides. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  44. both cards are cute but the bird? Really stands out and is so beautiful and the way you did the front and back? Amazing! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. So cute! Love the fish bowl...

    reflections:0)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Loved the Fish Card (will have to borrow this idea). I'm so partial to cute (spelled - Warm and Fuzzy) and anything associated with the ocean as I live right near, and it's just something I associate with my life - fish, shells, water. So BOTH of these sets will be mine very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think these are the best cards you have ever made. They are so cute. The fish bowl is cute and the bird cage is just adorable.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)