Friday, January 16, 2009

You're Number #1

Here's a super simple boy card I made last month for a friend of my son's whose grandfather passed away, but I forgot to share it here. I wanted to have some mail for him to return home to after the funeral, but wasn't sure what kind of sympathy card would be appropriate for a 7 year old, having never made one before. In the end I decided to create something that would make think about things he loves and what a special kid he is. He already does triathlons for kids, so I stamped up this jersey from "Just So Sporty" onto some Basic Grey Cupcake DP (the name of the pack sounds so girly but it's got some fun "boy prints also like these numbers, bicycles etc which of course work for girls, too!) and added "Born to Race" from "Tee Talk". I traced the edges of the tee with an olive marker to give it some wrinkles and dimension, then cut it out. I found a number 1 in another sheet of DP in the Cupcake pack (which I also used for the background) so I punched it out using the SU! 3/4 in circle punch and adhered to a Fiskar star punch out (which is popped up on a dimensional.) His parents told me later he really liked the card. :)

I'm going to make some more of these for the 1000 Valentines challenge (please read the details and make some card if you can!), this design would be very simple to mass produce, great for boys of all ages, as well as for a number of occasions: masculine Valentines, birthdays etc. Julie says they really need cards for teenage boys at the hospital, so hope this gives you some ideas! Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful idea for a 7 year old. Cute card too!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie - this card is just so sweet - what a sweet thing for him to open up after such a hard transiton - I love that paper - its so fun and bright - I am sure that your son's friend is going to love it - how sweet and thoughtful! you are just so sweet!
    hugs!
    Sankari :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful gesture Melanie. That young boy will remember your kindness. THe card is perfect!
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super sweet of you, Mel. I bet it made his day. It's very cute, too. I can't wait to get my Just So Sporty blog candy...I'm excited that you didn't give it away! he he

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too cute! I'm gonna be making my DS a card using the Just So Sporty set soon! I'll share...lol. And guess what? My head is spinning because I wish there were more hours in the day...turns out that my precious loving beautiful DD changed her mind from the heart shaped Oreo's as Valentines to T Valentines!!! Sooo...you'll be seeing more hoodies and tees on my blog soon! YIKES! I'm also getting ready to host a new T & Hoodie swap! Just wanna make you a proud momma! LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice to see a card made for a boy. It came out great. What a very thoughtful and wonderful thing you did for your friends son.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)