Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cinema Saturday: The Princess Bride

Today I get to Guest Design for Brooke and Sankari's Cinema Saturday Challenge, surprise!!! This week the featured film is one of my favorites: "The Princess Bride" I grew up loving fairy tales and movies, so it was very easy to decide on a project I wanted to create to go with, the book the grandfather reads to the boy. (If you don tknow what I'm talking about, you must go rent this movie! THIS WEEKEND!) I made a book with my paper, ink and sponges, it is about the height and width of a card, as well as the pages inside tellign the story, like several cards within a card! Sitting out on a little table or shelf, it will be mistaken for a real book, let me show you!

The cover started out as a 4 x 5.25" piece of WHITE Gina K Pure Luxury CS! (I printed out the titles from my computer) After stamping on my SU! Baroque Motifs flourish in Memento Black I traced parts here and then and my words with a Krylon gold leafing pen. To age the paper, I rubbed my Tim Holz Antique Linen distress ink directly onto the paper (direct to paper technique). This ink is so blendable you can get a nice smooth color. Then I wiped some scuff marks on it and sponged a bit more on in areas to give it a little texture. The I sponged on some SU! basic Brown around the edges.


The book cover is made with a piece of SU! Chocolate Chip CS 5.5 x 9.5" long. I used my Scor-Pal to score at 4.25 and 5.25" to give it a 1 inch wide spine. You can make your smaller or larger depending on how many pages you want to add. I knew I also wanted to make my pages dimensional so I need room for that. I stamped the flourishes again all over in the brown ink and swiped the pad all over at different angels to give it those leathery creases. Last I sponged the edges with the same brown.


I stamped a few star bursts from the set in Gold Encore ink down the spine and drew some lines above and below with my leafing pen, and adhered my panel to the front. If you look back at the top pic, I also added a few large flourishes punched out of SU! Brushed Gold CS I burnished a little with more of the brown ink, they look so beautiful with the stamped flourishes and weaving them around the edges of the paper like that reminds me of creeping vines in the fire swamp!


Today I am only sharing a few pages of "the book" (I'll keep you posted with more additions later) I printed out more text on my computer in a font that looked like it was written with a quill pen. The long description you see on the left is a quote from the book ( from which the movie was adapted) the father explaining what a great adventure the tale is his very skeptical son. . (you see, the story really does have everything!)


I made the first page dimensional by popping up a page I die cut with an oval Nestabilitie, it frames up this retired SU! castle image from "Provencal," colored with Copics and sponged with Brocade Blue for the clouds. I carried the flourish images through the rest of the pages in the Antique Linen color and sponged the whiite pages with it again, more lightly this time to look like parchment.


And here we are at "the end" LOL! I can't give away any more of this marvelous story except to say that (as you probably would have already guessed) it ends happily. :) This image from my "Hand in Hand" set is also framed up behind an oval window and is fitting for this very romantic ending. (Don't miss this fantastic movie! Watch it with someone you love)

Buttercup's sleeve is pieced with Paper Temptress Candido Incandescent CS, white gold paper that looks like spun silk! Westley's sleeve is colored in with a Black Copic and highlighted with the Colorless Blender. Sunset background is sponged with Antique Linen and SU! Cameo Coral.

I'm inspired now to create more of these books, favorite titles I know my friends love. A faster and practical way to adapt the look of this project without "telling the story" is to create the cover and have it hold some pretty monogrammed note cards inside for yurself or someone else, it could tie closed with a bit of ribbon (I'm sure I'll be sharing one down the road!) a beautiful writing kit for a book or movie lover's desk!


Be sure to check out the other samples over at Cinema Saturday and play along! If you incorporate the movie theme and the PCP sketch challenge this week into one project and upload it in the PCP gallery by next Thursday, you are eligible to win the "Hand in Hand" set, courtesy of Sankari! More details here!

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mel, such an inspiration. I cannot wait to hear how many actually open it thinking its a real book, you must let us know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Melanie this is wonderful! This is pretty much my all time favorite movie and I just LOVE what you did with this, so creative:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this book is absolutely gorgeous!I would love to know the name of the font and I am looking forward to seeing more of the pages. I love the Happily Ever After page.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well.. I think I've seen everything now. You should be on the stage with a talent like yours.
    This 'book', and it IS a book, is the cleverest most imaginitve creation I think I've ever seen.
    Can't wait for the next 'chapter'.
    Viv xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! One of our MOSTEST FAVORITEST movies EVER!!! What a totally FABulous design this is!!!! A-----Mazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my very favorite movies, too. I can recite just about the whole thing along with the characters! LOL..."anybody wanna peanut?"
    You did an amazing job...it looks so medieval. Love all the aging and gold leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh Melanie! This is incredible! The Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies as well, and I have introduced it to my kids, they love it, and my husband thinks it's hilarious (all the silly quotes such as "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, now prepare to DIE!) LOL! Actually, I don't know if I got that quote exactly. My favorite quote is "Inconceivable!" and I use it on a daily basis! LOL! I can't wait to see more pages of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh beautiful make and such a fab idea. I love that movie :) Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. I "Wuv, Twoo Wuv" your book/card/masterpiece!!!! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Incredible! Gorgeous! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful... it looks like the real thing! Princess Bride is one of my absolute favorites - Adventure, characters you love to hate, humor AND a happy ending... what more could you want?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie - you creation is just beautiful! Simply stunning - what a wonderful idea to use the novel as the base for the inspiration for your project inspired by the Princess Bride! Love how you created the pages and how you showed how you created a faux leather look! This is such a fabulous idea!! Can't wait to see more and to try it out myself!!

    You are such an inspiration!
    Much love,
    Sankari :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a beautiful card! I agree a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh Melanie....this is amazing! You are so right it does look just like a real book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous! And so creative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! This totally rocks, and is truly amazing. You did a fabulous job, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, that totally rocks -- you are amazing! And I have this movie and now want to watch it! LOL Thankfully my hubby likes this movie too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW, this is so pretty, and so much work, but the end result is nothing short of fantastic.

    This movie is one of my daughters favorites. Even my sons liked it. Alot of humor in it to, which kept me interested, LOL

    Looking forward to other peeks inside your book,
    Sandy O

    ReplyDelete
  19. Inconceivable!!!

    This totally rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy Moly Melanie..this is just COOOLLLL!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is fabulous! It looks so great, right down to the gold stars of the spine, you have got every detail.

    ReplyDelete
  22. No more rhyming - I mean it! 'would anybody want a peanut?' tee hee - what a great movie - and what an INCREDIBLE project!! Beautiful job Melanie!! I'll be on the lookout for more of the 'story' :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so cute! I love the princess bride, too! This is such a fun project to celebrate the film! I made a similar book like this while I was on the Dirty Dozen Design Team! Yours is so fun! Your touches are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a much beloved and often quoted movie among my friends. I've made my way off to meetings at work to the echos of "Have fun storming the castle!"

    Your book captures the tale and the spirit of it all wonderfully. I think you'd make a fine Dread Pirate Roberts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. You never cease to amaze me, Melanie!! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. PaperTemptress's new leather cardstock would have even made this project better(if that could happen)!! Oh no, that's right it is a secret, don't tell anyone but it'scoming!!

    www.papertemptress.com
    No more boring cardstock!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WoW Mel! You just amaze me everytime. This is fabulous and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Melanie!!! This is amazing!!! So inspirational!!! And incredibly beautiful!!! I thought it was a real book! But yours looks more beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Melanie, your creativity continues to amaze me! This is one of my favorite projects from you now!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, what a gorgeous project, it looks like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. one of my fav movies as well!! love your "book", it looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG!!! This is one of my all time favorite movies and I am in absolute AWE of what you did with this challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow Melanie. This is a work of art!! I'm speechless.

    I'll be keeping an eye out for more of the pages.

    Thanks for sharing your inspirational project :-)

    Sam.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)