Saturday, January 24, 2009

Memories are the Building Blocks of Life

I have found my new favorite item to alter (besides tins, of course!): behold the scrap block!! I've admired these before but was always a little intimidated about getting started and don't see the blocks many places. But shortly after my new "The Best Things in Life" set came, I spied some fence post scraps in DH's workshop and asked him to please cut me some cubes!! :) Score!!

Here you can see the top of the block I stamped and one side: my family. Each side will have a different pic of our family members, plus one surprise! (he he heh!)

Supplies for this project are minimal!

6 sheets DP and coordinating ink, glue, a block (this measures 3.75"), your photos, "The Best Things in Life" set (the only stamps I used for the whole thing!), and some embellishments and or punches (here some silver Hodge Podge, staples,and ghost shapes)

I was able to cover every side of the block with a different pattern from my Basic Grey Wassail pack, and use the leftover scraps for accents or punched photo corners! (I went ahead and ordered this even though it's after Christmas, it has so many beautiful non-holiday prints and these warm, earthy colors and neutral go great with my home decor(and great for masculine cards), so I highly recommend it!) All photos are printed in B&W on Gina K Pure Luxury 80lb I do so much better when I don't use color photographs in my photographs, it really stumps me on choosing colored paperssomeitmes, KWIM? (I love this snuggled pic of my boys!) I stamped my sentiments in Cranberry Crisp ink onto one of the distressed solid papers in the pack, too, and framed it up in the Hodge Podge. Silver Brads are colored here with my Cardinal Copic.


Here's a pic of Paul and me at our first baby shower. I stamped "memories" from my set over the pic in white craft ink (in the past 7 years since this pic was taken, we've created a lot of great ones!) I love the look of stamping on photos! I stapled through two Heidi Swapp ghost shape hearts at the corners. I carried this silver embellishment theme throughon each side, simpler and more unified-looking.

Now the 4th side of the block I wanted to reflect the person holding it to remind him (or her, I need strokes occasionally too LOL!) what an important part they are of our family!! I was loving the real mirrors on the card I made with Rupa's set, so when I had this idea for the last side, I was going to make another trip to Hobby Lobby to buy a square one, but then looking at the little round ones on my desk, I thought it might be so much cooler to use what I already had and create a mosaic with the round ones!! To capture a pic of this side for you, I placed a photo of Jonathan and me reflecting in it (a print out from Chuck E Cheese, hee hee!) It's like a whole side of shine and embellishments, and looking into it and seeing your face reflected in fragments is so playful and unexpected, I'm glad I didn't make that extra "Hobby Lobby run" after all LOL!

I'm just loving this block! (here it is in our entry way) It's like a shiny, textured TOY that begs me to pick it up and turn it over! (I'll probably find myself doing this every time I enter and exit my house LOL!) I created this in just one morning, the hardest part is trying to choose whihc photos! (and don't make it harder than it has to be, you can always make more!now I want one for every room!! ) This will be our "family block", but I have already gotten busy on a valentine block for DH's office, a block for each of my kids to match their rooms, 9and plans for birthday blocks for friends, relatives, and neighbors, and themed blocks to put out at holidays (a Christmas memory on each side, etc!)

Hope this inspires you to make your own blocks celebrating the best things in (your) life! :)

PS In case you are wondering, I did cover the bottom with DP but nothing yet beyond that. for the person who turns it over to see if there's anything underneath, I'm thinking I need a clever quote or really funny family photo: which gets your vote?(I'm off to look for one!) ;) (no 3D embellishments on this side, though, I want it to sit flat!:)

41 comments:

  1. What a great idea and just think how many you can make for Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents and the list could go on and on. TFS Have a great week-end. Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid idea!
    I will have to make one with our new granddaughter Sienna's photos. Did you use glue or staples to attach the photos?
    hugs,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote quote :)Love love love it!
    Kim Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awsome! I guess I don't get how he made you a cube from fence posts. (I am a little slow) Thanks so much for another beautiful project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing and very inspiring. I think I would do a silly photo with a funny quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How big is the block - 4", 5" square

    What a great gift this would make. Love it. And the side with the photos cut in circles - outstanding. You can bet I'm gonna CASE this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this block! I got an 8 ft long piece of cedar cut into blocks at Home Depot and still haven't done anything with them! This really inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea...well done! I like the idea of something funny...like "Im not here - look for the block in _______ room!" A follow the blocks kind of thing we used to do with presents.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous idea for gifts. The wheels are already turning. I have a brand new grand daughter--first one--so there are lots of possiblities for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this quote which seems appropriate since you used mirrors on your very creative block:
    "Life is just a mirror, and what you see out there, you must first see inside of you."
    Wally 'Famous' Amos

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  11. My idea for the bottom? I am sure you have a photo of one of your babies' "bottoms"- with a tag that says " The End".
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here are a couple of more suggestions:

    "Where there is love there is life."
    Indira Gandhi

    "All you need in life is a wishbone, backbone, and funnybone"
    Reba McIntyre

    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful! I love all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds me of the acrylic photo cubes I used to love - but this is SO MUCH BETTER. I vote for quote or funny pic - or combine - that would be great - "what'd you expect to find down here".

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote for a really funny family photo! I just love this idea. I could totally get hubby into this one! I know my daycare provider would be into this. I would just have to get photos from her of all the girls at daycare!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought one of these blocks over a year ago and haven't gotten around to using it. Thanks for the inspiration! I think a funny sentiment would be good on the bottom of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this memory cube. Adding the mirrors makes your cube very unique. Your photos are wonderful. You have a very beautiful family. Oh and I love the idea of adding a quote to the bottom. A great gift to make anyone for all of the different holidays.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a t'riffic idea, Melanie - TFS, you enabler, you ... sending US all off to Hobby Lobby (I don't have any cubes on hand, LOL)!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would put "Made you look!" on the bottom. Great block though.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute! For the bottom? A funny photo AND a quote. Another great project from you Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! I love this idea! I'm super intimidated by anything wood...but you got me itching to try!

    For the bottom...I would think it would be funny if you had a pic of maybe one of your boys bum and stamp "The End"...or maybe a funny family pic with you guys making silly faces and a quote something like "GOTCHA"! IDK...I have silly and cheesey ideas sometimes. *rolls eyes* LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never thought I'd want to do a block, but you've definately made me rethink it.

    I think the bottom should day - "Made ya look!" Hee Hee

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cool idea! I think each family member should sign the block and write a short wish for the person holding it.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is gorgeous Melanie!!! Those would make great gifts...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable!!! Is the wood pressure treated? On my 'puter it looks greenish. I don't know much about it but I've heard you shouldn't use it for edging a garden where food plants are grown because toxins can leech into the fruit or veggies. I hate to rain on your parade but is this safe to handle?? Maybe if you wash your hands after...

    Hoping it isn't pressure treated, rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love those mirrors!
    My daughter is getting married in a few short months and I was thinking of doing photo cubes using those ready-to-go blank board cubes by create treasures...and the idea of putting the mirrors on one side so that when the guest turns it over there is a message saying how important that person is to them or that they are glad that they came to share in the day!
    Thanks for getting the creative juices flowing or the wheels turning!LOL
    Have agreat weekend!And here is a HUG for the idea!
    Thanks,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, that is GORGEOUS! What a wonderful idea. I'm definitely going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made one of these using a square tissue box I had first covered it in cardstock /DP. I made it for a 5 year old birthday gift. I laminated the photos and cut them to fit the sides .Using velcro strips to fasten then to the cube. The sides could be replaced to change as the child changed.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I vote for a really goofy pic so they have something more to admire and talk about. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you need to put some funny comment on the bottom...like " I knew someone would look here"!

    Or...give a little present. Tell the one who turns it over to go and look in a certain place and find a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a sweet project! The you... side is my fav.. All the mirrors are genius.. thanks for the great share...
    Hugs
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  32. love it and the ideas that you have been given for the bottom, you do need something that screams at you and makes you laugh if you are nosy enough to pick it up! I received my Candy (hand in Hand) yesterday....love it!!!! Cannot wait until my first copics arrive so I can practice colouring them! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awwwww, how wonderful and a terrific conversation piece! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is an amazing project. Love how it turned out. And, think the mirror side is brilliant!! Like the idea of putting a funny photo and quote on the bottom.

    Thanks so much for sharing this!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. Melanie, that is fabulous. I love how you could make this as simple and cute or as fancy and sophisticated as you want. Love the colors. That would look perfect in my house, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. As always love love love the design but even more I love the family pictures!! You can tell that you are a loving, caring family!! They say a picture tells a 1000 words or whatever that saying is....LOL These pictures prove it!!

    Patricia
    www.thepapertemptress.com
    as always in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome! Love it! I might have to make one of these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I vote for really fun fanily photo.

    It's a good life!
    Terri E.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your block is fantastic, Melanie!! What a wonderful keepsake!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think you should put "Made you look!" on the bottom of the block. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great idea, and its so creatively put together. I love the way you look with long hair, you should grow it out again!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)