Friday, October 24, 2008

Feathered Friend*

The inspiration for today's project was this terrific tee from Target, I wanted to make a special matching card to go with it! (Hey, I have owl stamps!)

I really like those little feathers in the design that spell out "Trick or Treat", and saw how easily I could add a few rows to my card with my SU! large oval punch. You will need 8 punched ovals for this card: 4 Pumpkin Pie, 4 Old Olive. Cut your ovals in half, you can save time and cut through three or four with your rockin Tim Holz Scissors.
Now ruin a strip of Dot n Roller across your Chocolate Chip base. Begin in the middle with one feather and work outward so the edges will be even and you don't have a whole feather on one end and skinny feather on the other. Add more adhesive and two more rows, centering each new feather in between two below it. Layer them low enough to cover little gaps in between. The great thing about this adhesive it rubs easily off if you have extra, but I just covered mine with 5/8" Chocolate grosgrain(which makes it look extra purty and covers the bgaps in my top row), the adhesive also held my ribbon in place!
Last I added my "Owl Always Love You" owls, colored with Koh-i-Noors and cut with a circle Nestie. I kept my shading simple since the shirt was so graphic looking.
I just love the texture this adds, and it looks like a lot more work than it was, doesn't it? You'll see I left room at the bottom for my greeting, stamped in Basic Brown, and used a corner rounder on my base. I am popping these in the mail for a special someone who surprised me last week with some fun mail! Hope she likes them! Have a great weekend!!

*I, unlike some, chose NOT to use "Hooters" in the title to boost my ratings! ;) just kidding, you know who!!! :) (love you, Carolyn!!)

14 comments:

  1. What an adorable card, Melanie....love the owls and how you matched the Tee perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is sooooooo waaaaaay cool with the layered "feather" look!!!! And Hooters.......you are tooo funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is much more adorable than the tshirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute card! I love how you did the feathers! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! It's beautiful! You are soooo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely the cutest, Melanie! What a great inspiration! And that's funny because I actually have a picture of a t-shirt I saw at Target too that gave me an idea for a card using one of your stamp sets! I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet! Maybe this weekend! :) Happy stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! The feathers add so much to the card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOhhh love your hooters!! haha! couldnt resist ....too funny Mel! rofl...This looks fantastic, I really love the look you created with the ovals! Neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very cute idea with the ovals! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous and so extremely CUTE. I love the way you did the feathers! Your brain must be a beautiful place! I had to giggle at the hooters joke. I love Cammie's blog and laughed so hard at that post title for a week or so: That email in my mailbox caught my eye all week; I kept thinking oh, i have spam, ROFL. ...And the "most memorable blog title for a blog post with owls award" goes to Carolyn King! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your adorable owl card, Melanie!! Your feathers turned out awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute and I have that Tee!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)