Sunday, October 5, 2008

Yellow Roses

Here is the second card I made with my set, I'm posting it today at Pat's request, yellow roses, (which symbolize friendship) are her fave, and also to show you what the Peerless Watercolors look like on CS instead of watercolor paper: awesome! (IMHO) I shaded this rose the same way as yesterday(see post below) but pulled in more shades: here I have Deep Yellow, Orange Yellow and Brilliant Yellow, and Light Green and Dark Green on the leaves. Instead of just making the shadows on my petals darker yellow, I went for more Orange Yellow which really makes the image pop with color. This time I also mixed in some of the Pearl Gray page under the flowers on the background and to create more depth and shadows on my leaves. This card also uses masking, the taller rose was stamped first, covered and the shorter rose stamped second. See how I outlined under the taller rose with a line of the yellow orange color and the gray to cast a shadow onto the lower rose? And how many more dark areas the lower rose has?

To add stems to my flowers, you'll need to stamp and mask your flowers first then stamp the stem underneath in the center of the blossom. Add the leaves next. When cutting my leaf images, I trimmed right up next to the very edge of where it should attach to the stem, this makes it super easy to stamp them where you need them. You''ll notice "A Year of Flowers" has two similar looking stems, but one is thicker than the other. Some of your delicate flowers need the thinner stem, while your heavy flowers like the sunflower need the thicker stem. I love the flexibility these curved stems provide: you can stamp them one way to have them lean to the left, but then turn it upside down and now it can lean to the right!

The background is darker than I intended but I got a smudge on my card so I had to add a lot of color to cover it up (but I do like that contrast between the cool blue and the warm yellow). This brilliant turquoise color you see is "Sky Blue" from the booklet. I went around the roses first and then worked the color out in kind of a circular motion. last I added "for you" (sweet and simple) and scored this 1/4 " border around the base to frame it up.

I will be back with an urgent prayer and RAK request I am working on, still collecting info...but it will be soon. Also coming this week, a 3D project(my favorite altered item EVER!), my new tip sheet, a way to give the flowers a really modern funky feel, a shaped card template (I have been promising someone for weeks!), guest spotlights, etc so lots of exciting stuff!!

Have a blessed Sunday!

11 comments:

  1. This is absolutely stunning!! Can't wait to get my set (that I won...woot woot) so I can start playing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I bought the set and can't wait to get it but Gina K is out of the peerless watercolors. Any suggestions on where else it can be bought. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Melanie! Peerless is something totally new to me, so I am excited to see you demo'ing it for us.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie..this is card is beautiful. When i see a yellow rose, I can't help but think of the wonderful state (Texas) that I live in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely card. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Melanie, this card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melaine, the yellow roses are gorgeous and look real!. And your watercoloring is perfection! Love the shading and beautifully blended colors. What a beautiful card! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beauty! Thanks for the explaining in detail how you stamped and colored the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO very gorgeous!!! I love the turquoise against the yellow. And how brilliant that there are two sizes of stems. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so pretty, your flowers will give new meaning to one layer cards! I should get mine TODAY! hopefully I will have some energy to stamp tonight...

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)