Saturday, January 10, 2009

Heartfelt Album Cover and Record Tutorial

I recently got Gina K's Heartfelt Hits and had to get it inky! This and a very special paper inspired me to create this album cover sleeve and record-shaped card!

I started with this Black Velvet paper from Paper Temptress. It does NOT feel like "velvet", though, the closest thing I can approximate it to is vinyl or rubber, it is that smooth! You really want to touch it, again and again, because it doesn't feel like paper at all! (Even my husband was intrigued!) The picture below helps shows the texture when compared to Basic Black. I know this sample doesn't look like Basic Black at all LOL! But when you shine a light on both to photograph, the light picks up all that texture on Basic Black (which you probably know is a very smooth paper!) but the Black Velvet just looks like solid color. The "shade" of the two blacks is really not that different.
The "vinyl" feel inspired me to try making a realistic-looking, "old school" record! I started by cutting out a large circle of it with Nestabilities, then stacking all my nested circles on top of that to emboss some grooves. TIP: Having so many dies in at once cut through some of the circles even though I was using my embossing stack, so if you recreate this I recommend taking a sheet or two of CS out of your embossing sandwich when you run this through to make sandwich not quite so thick and keep it from going all the way through, you can always add them back in if the embossing isn't coming out as deep as you want it. (I still used them all, of course!) just nested them back together and adhered to my card) :)


Next I took a folded piece of CS 4/14" square and placed the same large circle die I used to make my cover and overlapped the edge so they will be round but still attached at the side.

Here is how the card opens up. I really want my embossed Black Velvet front to be a perfect circle , so that's why I did these separately. :)


Next I attached my embossed circle to the front and made smaller "label" with a piece of paper Temptress Wild Cherry stamped with the "Heartfelt Hits I" couple in Memento Tuxedo Black ink. I attached the label so that the couple is going straight up and down lined up with the scored top, this way when the card is standing up they will going the right way!


I found the middle of my record with a ruler and made a dot with my Inkssentials pen as a guide for punching the hole.

Next I opened my card and punched out the white dot with my Cropodile Big Bite. These Big bites have a 6 inch reach, perfect for this type of project.


Here's my record! It looks a bit washed out but I wanted to make sure you could see how "groovy" it is, hee hee!


Next I stamped up a Wild Cherry paper with Memento ink and embossed the star bursts form Heartfelt hits with Silver EP. Using my Scor-Pal, I created a sleeve to slide the record into: bacially a piece of cardstock scored in half and attached at the sides with 1/8 " Scor-Tape, leaving an opening to slide the record in. (I made scored tabs to put the tape on on the sides to fold in so it would look more finished, but I forgot to take a pic, sorry! Either way will work!) :) The album cover is 4 1/2" square when folded, still small enough to fit in an A-2 envelope (to reveal a card in a card!) ;) I sponged the edges with Real Red ink and created my focal point with the Labels One Nestabilities and my "Hand-in-Hand" set. Hands are colored with Copics E00 and E21, tux with 100 Black and C-7, outlined with C-3 (I meant to grab C-1, oops! oh well) :)


When you open it, "I wanna hold your Hand!" from the "Hand-in-Hand" set is embossed inside, to go along with the hit record theme. You could also write in or print out your playlist of songs to go inside the record or on the back of the album. A record card would also be perfect to tuck into a mix CD for your sweetie on Valentine's Day!


Hope you enjoyed this project, and have a good "feel" (HA!) for this specialty paper, for the right project, it's sure to be a HIT! :) If you decide to recreate this project, please link the tutorial and let me know, I'd love to see what you make! Have a great day!

55 comments:

  1. This is the coolest card idea I have seen in a long time! Your tutorial is great, too. Thanks for sharing. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! That is fabUlous Mel, I just need circle nesties to make one. I plan on making them for friends B-days, and make a CD of their favorite songs to go inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one cool Valentine! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGolly, Mel....words cannot really tell you how neat and wonderful this card is!

    A definite fav of 2009...my list is growing and so many of them say MEL!

    Wowness!
    Kim Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me! What an awesome project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant!! That is so cool and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever and cute idea!!!!! Since you provided a wonderful tutorial I assume you have no objections if I CASE???? tfs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial for a great card!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHUT UP!!! I love this!!! And here I am making my babe a mix CD of some of our songs! This is just FABO!!! WOW! Since he's gonna be working all day on V-Day...I'll HAVE to CASE this and give it to him the week after on our 11th anniversary. I swear girl...when you are born...the mold was broken! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How Cool Is This...really innovative!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the sweetest card. I just love it. I'm amazed by your creative mind with every project. You totally ROCK!!! Your tutorials are so easy to follow. I wish I had just a touch of your creative and inspiring MOJO!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How FUN is this?! You just gave me a great idea for a picture frame for a married couple's dance my dh & I chair each Spring! Our theme is Soc Hop - these "records" will make a fun frame idea! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a great idea. you are so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, WAY cool!! LOVE it Mel!! You are just a genious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely wonderful. I LOVE it. Your creativity is overflowing. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. BRILLIANT.....never would have thought to cut a card with my Nesties...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. BRILLIANT.....never would have thought to cut a card with my Nesties...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very cool! i especially love the creative way you embossed the grooves in the record. such a smart woman!
    tfs, sandyh

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your neat card took me back a BUNCH of years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so neat!!! I LOVE it...great blog with lots of wonderful inspiration! thanks so much for sharing with all of us!!! I subscribed to your blog, so I get all your new posts...woowho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love,love,love it! This card is amazing! Thanks for showing us all how to do it. Now, to get my hands on some of that paper... I can think of alot of people who would like to get a card like this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really love this card, it is amazing - I will have to think about making one myself - a fab make!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I thought this was a real record when I saw the first picture! You did an amazing job on this. I wonder how I could recreate it without the dies? I don't have them, YET.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dynamite and a heck of a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous Melmel! I'm lovin' it! My hubby is a HUGE Beatles fan so this would be PERFECTION for him!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mel -

    This is just too cool! I love it, so much fun. What a wonderful idea and super job with the card and the tutorial. Thanks so much!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my gosh, lol...what a cute idea! This a great valentine card!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW, this is SO creative. I love it! It would make a great card for a guy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is SO STINKIN' CUTE you've knocked my socks off - TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Creativity must be your middle name! This is such an awesome project--love it, love it. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG this is so awesome. I absolutely love it. Its probably my favorite project I have seen you do well at least today's projects

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is SO cute Melanie! What a creative Valentine! And an excellent tutorial!

    Just wanted to say thank for the sweet comment on my Year of Flowers cards...it all works well with such great stamp illustration :) Thanks! Whenever an illustrator says something about a card THEY've done the original work for, it always makes you feel special!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Awesome Mel! I absolutely love it & its so clever as always!

    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is incredibly cute and creative, Melanie!! WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now That's CREATIVE! The record sure looks so realistic that it brought back memories of the real thing. Oh-Oh, I just dated myself. Gotta get some of that paper & give it a try. Thanks again for sharing it with us. - Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, Melanie. This is a fabulous card and sleeve. Love how you made the grooves...very clever. Best card I have seen in quite a while. I love it!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  37. THAT is nothing short of ..well, I don't have words to describe the ingenuity of this 'creation'. It's downright amazing.
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. This card is unreal, You are one talented lady.

    smallcity

    ReplyDelete
  39. Waht a great card project. I can think of so many uses for a record card (or invitation!. Thank you for your great inspiration! debb

    ReplyDelete
  40. Scrolled down too far...posted comment on a different on....bwahahahaha
    Need mor coffee!!!
    As I was saying, Love the card and I will totally 'case' that one..Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  41. Way too cool! I love it. You are amazing! Thanks for sharing! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is just BRILLIANT...you are a GENIUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE it!! Thanks for giving me an idea of what to do with the "Elvis" stamp I got to made a card for my mom! She has a HUGE Elvis/50's dedicated room and how cool would something like this be framed for her??? I've been trying to decide what kind of card to make with it since her birthday isn't until April! Off to buy more "nesties"... LOL You DO cost me sooooo much money! Why did I ever find you??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  44. OMG!!! are you kidding me!! THis is brilliant and amazing!!! My mouth dropped down to the ground when I saw how you MADE IT!!! WOWIE! Melanie - yOU take the cake!!!

    Absolutely beautiful and love the step by step instructions!!!

    xoxo Sankari:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is awesome! My DH is a vinyl collector - thanks for the great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Ohhhh FAR out and GROOOOOOVY!!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Melanie! I finally used your idea like I said I would back in January! THANKS again for the inspiration - everyone LOVED the frames I made! I provided a link in my blog post back to your original post.

    http://stampinjewels.blogspot.com/2009/04/lets-go-to-hop-dance-frame.html

    Juli

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)