Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Monkeyin' Around with Copics

Before today's coloring tutorial, here is another Pop Tone paper I will be using for my base, Orange Fizz. (I'm not going to try to match my coloring to it today, though, as I have a lot of earthy tones going on in my DP that i can pull from, a fun print from the Black Market Imported Rhythm pack.) :)


Orange is a really nice color when you find the right shades! (SU! Only Orange doesn't get a whole lot of play in my rotation LOL!, but I really like SU! Pumpkin Pie on my fall cards) Paper Temptress Orange Fizz is a bit softer and less "spicy Autumn", makes for happy spring and summer fun-in-the-sun cards.

So we're starting with the "Just So Hippy" monkey ( I've missed you, little guy!) he is stamped on Gina K Pure Luxury 80lb (the lighter weight today since I'll be mounting it on a mat, I don't have to worry about bleeding through here, save your 120 lb paper for card bases!) I filled in his skin areas with Copic E21. Often I leave just a hint of the top right side uncolored, like a white highlight.

Next I went in with a darker flesh tone E11 (not sure why this has a smaller number since they usually increase as they get darker, it looks darker to me LOL!) to the bottom of each of the areas. For the face, think of an imaginary line going from his forehead to his chin, and color the left half, this way that right side of his face is picking up the light. (okay, it's his right side, but it's confusing to say it that way LOL!)

Next I made a nice solid coat working in small circles with my E33. I left his tummy white for now because I want his little belly to be lighter.

Okay, I added a lot in this "step", sorry, I forgot to take a couple pics LOL! I added a brown that was just a bit lighter to the his back and undersides of his arms and legs and blended the flesh tone in for his tummy. (I could ahve done that earlier when I had one of my skin Copics out, nbut I thought I'd be using a different color at the time) I outlined a little shadow under him with the W-1 and used my colorless blender to take some ink away from his cheeks and added in this little pink for a becoming blush!

Now here he is on a gate fold card (score your 4 1/4"x 8 1/2"CS at 2 1/8" and 6 3/8", conveniently there's a little dot on these marks on the Scor-Pal!) ;) which uses three different sides of that Black Market DP. Notice anything different about him here?? Yup, I forgot when I stamped earlier to add his little tattoo! (and I am sorry to say I can't find my little flower stamp ANYWHERE! wahhh! fingers crossed is turns up) So I used the heart instead. :) I stamped it over the brown and blended out the color with my Colorless blender and filled in with pink the same way I did the cheeks. The Colorless Blender has so many uses besides blending and covering boo boos. If you start collecting Copics or only get a few this is one you "need"!
I got this fun little EK Success Flower punch at Hobby Lobby the other day, so I punched out a flower from the patterned paper for him to hold. This could have been "Valentine's Day", even with the orange, but I decided to birthday instead.
What animal should we do next? or, hands?? Actually, I have a get well card coming up too, that you're going to LOVE! and the Hand-in-Hand contest, eek! AND the next Gina K Designs release is only 9 days way did you see? I will be super busy making samples for this next week!! can't wait, can't wait!! any guesses about my set??
Last, don't forget to scroll down and read the post with the latest candy! That's for all now, gotta go, LOTS TO DO ! TTYS!

26 comments:

  1. Mel this is such a fun card and love the colors. Your tutorials are always so easy to follow. Um...next set...um could it have something to do with Valentine's Day? I guess I'll have to wait for the sneak peeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel this is too cute and love the way you color. Thanks for all the tutorials
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving all these coloring tutorials! They've really helped me use my markers better....and more often.

    I can't believe the release is only 9 days away!!! I'm so overly excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can't help but get better in our own coloring with your tips and directions. Thanks Melanie!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love all of you artwork. I recently purchased some of the stamps you have designed. I hope to have time soon to play.
    Thanks
    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tattooed monkey - too darn cute! My forsaken Copics are calling.....no cryin gout for my time. When oh when?! Soon, I hope so very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if that tattoo isn't a "hoot"! I'll have to remember that next time I'm playing with my animals!!! LOL

    I'm guessing Valentine's stamps are next!! Hurrryyyy... I need more...(ya right... LOL). I can't help myself with your designs!

    Think a doctor visit might have a remedy???!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well this is just adorable and fun. Perfect for a birthday and for V-Day with that cute little heart tattoo on his butt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wellllll...after seeing the unique record album card YESTERDAY, I went to Gina-k's and ordered CS and CS and CS ! I was Dee-lited to see the great colors and textures, and I LOVED the 15% off ...what a deal ! I'm curious ( as in Curious George the Monkey?) about Velums...how do Coptics behave on that surface, and yessssss, Valentines ! Maybe I'll win MORE CS, and be inspired to make some twisted Goth Valentines !!
    GramaCat

    ReplyDelete
  10. how sweet~ love these colors & the big flower (s)he's holding! I haven't done a gate fold card in forever (since the chicky from Just so Hoppy!) *gasp* why don't you do the bunny next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mel, I love your tutorials. I've learned so much. This card is adorable. I'm sure whatever your set is will be amazing, possibly love inspired??? For Valentines Day..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the coloring techniques...now all I have to do in get the Copics!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. This little monkey is so cute. And I love the heart tattoo on his rump! Very cute. And I think those colors would have been great for Valentines day. I like unexpected colors used for holidays. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable card! Thank you for the coloring how-to. I'm loving learning to color with my Copics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute Mel! I have an award waiting for you on my blog! You have a FABULOUS blog that I luv to visit daily...thank you so much for all that you share with us! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mel, I love your tutorials....I have learned a lot on using my Copics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're copic tutorial are really helpful! Thanks! I'm going to try a gate-fold card. Cool!! I'd love you to color an ostrich!

    Lisa H.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for coloring the monkey! I suggested that one and am so glad to see the steps of how you did it. I love the heart tatoo, too! I really like your tutorials on coloring the animals so would love it if you did another animal from the "just so Hippy" set. As far as your next release, I would have to guess that it will be Valentine-related. You did the hands so maybe this one will be hugs or kisses of some sort. Or maybe a kid theme for Valentines. Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm lovin' your gatefold, Melanie!! Pretty flower and cute tattoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, thanks for the tutorial. You gave so much detail. I really learn from your tutorials. That little monkey is really cute and I love the way you created the card and colored him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have this stamp set and can't wait to make a card. I have the Prisma colors so will have to do the baby oil thing. Someday hope to have a set of the Copics

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card is so adorable! Would be a great card for a little girl. Your tutorial was terrific, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cute card. Thanks so much for sharing the wonderful coloring tutorial. You really brougt this little guy to life!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cute, cute, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the background u used. And the small heart on the monkey's bum is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ha Ha Ha! Love the tatoo! Cute little monkey!
    Sandy O

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)