Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tole Rose Tutorial

White and Ivory are just so chic together, aren't they? Instead of coloring, I was thinking how soft and beautiful the rose stamped on vanilla paper would be on a pure white background....

A few other things I did differently from my previous rose samples (hee hee!): stamped the rose in Basic Gray ink instead of black, which really softens the look. (You can also do this to make your drawing look more like a pencil sketch on your cards.) Also, instead of shading with color, I pulled out my Versamarker and really got into those areas I needed shading with the brush tip, now I have subtle, creamy shadows! So this is a great way to get fast tone-on-tone shading. Now roses are some of the best flowers for the paper tole technique: here's a pic that shows how I stamped two roses, but made three layers by cutting out the top and the bottom to layer under and over the whole rose instead of having to stamp and cut a third time. They are numbered to show what order to layer them on your mat, sandwiching dimensionals in between to really make it 3D.
I chose to line them up perfectly with the image below, which you usually do in tole, but I experimented before adhering them all and saw it looks super frothy to place them at angles, not matching up with the image, you get more petals that way, like a double bloom variety! (I'll post one like that another time)
Here's a side view of the card top show the dimension, I curled the leaves (painted with Old Olive and an Aquapainter) out a little with my fingers, just attaching them at the base. I also added a little Leafy Branch Cuttlebugging to the bottom and my new Ivory 5/8" grosgrain (it looks a little yellow in this pic). The mat underneath my Nestabilitie die cut is Basic Gray to match the ink. Quote is from "Say it With Flowers".


(Originally I was going to mount it in the center of a vertical A2 card, but I saw it had a smudge on it, so I just scored a 7 inch scrap I had on my desk in half and made it into a tent topper! I like the unexpectedness of that in the design also, nice proportions, no? (happy accident!)


Go check out some amazingly beautiful creations with these sets by the amazing Melissa McCarthy, I just love that gal and her stuff! Have a beautiful day!

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!! I never put white and ivory together... and yet, look at how awesome they work when paired up!! Beautiful job and great coloring tips, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FABULOUS! you took my guesswork out of paper-toling (it's been on my mind to do since I got your set - there aren't enough HOURS in the day for me to stamp as much as I want to - boo!) anyway - love the white/ivory combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card. Anyone would love to receive it and it would be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous card Mel. I love it. Thanks for sharing, I love doing tole for dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just gorgeous! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful card! I love the ivory and white together.
    Thank you for the tip about shading with the versamarker. Now I know one thing I can use my versamarker for instead just for a dust collecter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely stunning! This card has such elegance and class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful and so simple! I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I probably wouldn't have thought of putting white and ivory together, but you have me convinced. That's soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous card. I love the white and vanilla together; never thought to do that, but will now. Thanks for sharing this with me.

    Joan
    MN

    ReplyDelete
  11. EEEEKKKSSSS! This is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so elegant and beautiful. I love it! I really love how realistic the flower looks because of the layering of the petals. Great versamarker tip too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man!!! You are GOOD. Your pointers are so fab. Stamping in Basic Gray is such a great idea & Shading with Versamarker; that looks like Copics! Love it! paper tole technique: Get-outta-here lovely! It's perfect that this elegant look could come together so quickly too. Ab Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a stunning card! So very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty and classy looking card. I love the cream with the white. Thanks for the tip about stamping with gray.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, Melanie, I LOVE this card. It's so elegant. Love the ivory and white combo. Great tip too to use the versamark to get subtle and perfect shading.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sure love the tole look......and this white and ivory beauty is simply STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melanie - this is soooo LOVELY!! I just ordered this set earlier this week (it arrived today!) I can't wait to play with it!!! TFS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)