Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Masking & Sponging a Sunset in Seconds: tutorial

Today I will share one of the fastest cards I've ever made, using Gina K's GORGEOUS Free with Three set "Tree Silhouettes", (and with very limited supplies, I might add!) You can do this!! You need a sponge and scratch paper (and ink and stamps!)

Stamp your trees in the lower right corner, staggering like they're on a hill, and stamping off to create depth. Stamp your greeting (this is also in the set) in the top left corner.
Use a straight edge to mask a "horizon" and sponge some ink (here Regal Rose) above it. (I'm not doing anything with that "diagonal", just moved the paper away so you can see!) Doesn't it already look like mist floating off the water?

Sponge some areas above and below in the same color ink to create the "cloudy sky" and the reflection on the water. You don't have to worry so much about whether your reflection is exactly the same.
Then tear out a "hill" from your scratch paper, and sponge ink below this area (here Always Artichoke)
Now use a punch circle and place it over your greeting, (this will draw special attention to your sentiment, giving it a beautiful glow!) sponging your pink ink around it.
Take your circle mask away and place it below your horizon (directly below the top sponged circle), and sponge as you did before. Remove. Your sunset is done!
Mat onto coordinating CS (Always Artichoke)* and then onto Gina K Pure Luxury 120lb white base, or for a really fast card create this whole scene directly on your card base for an elegant, single layer card! I added three little adhesive metal dots I colored with a Black Copic to the top corner, just to give a little something extra.

I am positive I have never put just Regal Rose and Always Artichoke together on one card LOL! But this really reminds me of a sunset I saw a few years ago in Tahoe.... :)
Last day to enter my "Just So Sporty" blog candy, be sure to leave a comment on this post (<--meaning that linked one right there!) if you haven't yet done so! I will post the winner tomorrow!
PS I think now I must have also subconsciously lifted a layout/channeled "The Magic of Oil Painting" from waaaaaay back , those would be my "happy little trees" and happy little sun" LOL!!! Anyone remember that??

17 comments:

  1. Ohhhh so pretty!! I totally need to try making a reflection card!!! And YES!!! Hubby and I were always so amazed at Bob Ross and his soft voice and amazing "happy little trees" that would look like a BLOB if I tried that!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it seem so simple!

    And yes... I well remember that show, loved it...he was always so calm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning Melanie...I love this set!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! A very dramatic card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost hear him talking about "happy little trees" when I look at your beautiful card. Seeing all your beautiful examples is making me even more impatient for my order to arrive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love the relection and am going to give it a try! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card! I need to get some sponges so I can try this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!
    hugs, Jami

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouuu! This is so pretty! I love the pink. I'm just making friends with sponging, and this is a perfect technique! Thanks! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie, I am new to seeing your blog, but I am always in awe of your simple beauty to your cards! Just wanted to let you know!
    Have a great day!
    Michelle Polizzi
    My blog: michellesinkyfingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are just a Wizard with those inks! Thank you so very much for giving the instructions on how you did this amazing work. Barbara Wiley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You did make it look super easy!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)