Monday, January 12, 2009

Playing with Purple: Paper, Ink, and Copic Tutorial

I'm trying lots of new purples today, papers and inks. here is a purple color comparison for you with a few Pop Tones shades and a few SU! shades to give you an idea of their true colors. I'll be using these two Paper Temptress purples in today's sample, Grape Jelly and Grapesicle. (I thought the Grapesicle might be similar to Almost Amethyst, but not when I pulled it out, Amethyst looked really BLUE! it's like an icy purple("Grapesicle", get it??)


Some new purple Copics today, too (all labeled with V for Violet, I found some nice shades to go with the Pop Tone purple papers (say that five times fast LOL!)

Today I stamped my flower from "A Year of Flowers" in , drumroll please, a PURPLE ink, Elegant Eggplant! I know, waterbased, such a rebel!!) But I don't worry about bleeding if I'm coloring with similar shades, and this will soften the look for my card. We'll see! ;) I quickly traced the lines in my petals with VO4, starting at the middle. working outwards. I left the tips white. Oh and BTW, I'm not blending everything today (I know, there I go again!!! it works with this image)


Here I colored in the middle with Y08. TIP: I added a little BV00 outside for a shadow(and over the V04), now that I have all these different pale Copic shades, it's really pretty to pick he very lightest shade you have of a color you are already working with for your shadow, here a very pale violet, instead of always using gray. (If using blues, pick a blue shadow, etc) In real life, in certain lights shadows really do take on a bit of the object's color, very cool...



Now I added my stems and leaf. I colored these in with one coat of YG23 and then went over the area I wanted to be darker with that same color, under the blossoms and the bottom of the leaf. You'll notice there is a deeper purple and yellow in the flowers, sorry I forgot to get that pic! I used Vo6, concentrating on the middle and worked only about half way out on the petals this time. I used YR23 on the underside of the flowers middle to keep the yellow center from looking so"flat".



Last I added G94 to those darker green areas and my BV00 around the stem and leaves. I liked it before, but adding the darker green just gives it more POP!



The base is embossed with CB Floral Fantasy and the mats use Labels One Nesties. I wrapped some SU! moss grosgrain around it and added a little tag using "love" from the "A Year of Flowers" set on an oval punched tag with a brad I colored to match with my YR23 Yellow Copic. The markers are looking a lot pinker here than IRL, does approximate the paper colors nicely. While I love my SU! coordinating cardstocks, I am really enjoying these new Paper Temptress colors, especially now that I have so many shades of Copics I want to play with that are quite different from SU!'s 48.

I enjoyed "breaking the rules" a little bit today! Hope it inspires you to try different things... if you like the way it looks in the end,... why not?? ;)

33 comments:

  1. Good Morning.
    Thank you for matchig the Copics with the papers. I am keeping a list of favorite Copic color combinations for future referance. And I keep a list of Copic markers that are similar to SU colors.

    The card is very pretty. I love all the flower stamps.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so pretty love the purple and your coloring is great
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're the queeen of copic flower coloring girl. Fantastic tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower tutorial is so neat. That amazes me how you can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhhhhhh so pretty!!! One of my favorite cards you've made 'cause purple IS my favorite color! Your nestabilitie are so big looking here... I wonder if mine are that big??? LOL Can you tell I use them alot? I am half afraid of them 'cause of the "complicated" layers I can't seem to always remember to get the embossing down. I'll have to try more. You're really tempting me with those Pop Tone papers!!! Grrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just lovely Melanie. Way cool coloring. Question - if we do not have a blog - how are we to link to one of our cards if we try your techniques? Where do we put them? SCS?
    Thanks for the great tutorials on copics.
    Pam from Chicagoland

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful!!!! I'm not much of a purple person myself, but this is wonderful. Almost makes me want to get my purples out...maybe...someday. ;-)

    Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mel love your card. I think purples are a great color.Now I really want to buy the copic markers even more.
    thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely. I love the different shades of purple and how you coordinated everything - beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel -

    Love, Love, Love this card. Wonderful job and in my favorite color - purple.

    Great tutorial too!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! Not only are the purple flowers just lovely, I also like how you put all those layers on the card.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Purple is my favorite color, I love what you have done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The color purple....sooooo rich! Thanks for the tutorial and lovely card.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colors and the paper. The cookie card was so cute also!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you've colored your beautiful flowers, Melanie!! Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just so pretty Melanie! I love that you wanted to have a purple day! I love purple days - one of my fave fave colors - love how you did it all - you make it seem easy - i don't think I could pull that coloring off - your s is just brilliant!!! and the layout is just toooo cute!!! LOVE it!!!

    xoxo Sankari
    sending you big hugs!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is beautiful! I love purple. I don't have any Copics yet, but I like your coloring tutorials and all the tips on shading etc. that you give us. Hoping I can put your teachings to use when I get some Copics! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You crack me up Melanie! LOVE the purple! It's my fave color!!! I bought your sets Just so sporty and tee talk and I am having buyers remorse...cause I didn't get the other T one too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love being bad. I will certainly try this tomorrow. I have been so frustrated with the inks that I have on hand bleeding. I am waiting on Momento to arrive. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melanie thanks so much for taking the time to post the tutorials. Of course my wallet isn't exactly thanking you for the tempting papers!! :-) Blessings and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so pretty! I have that song stuck in my head. Love it, Melanie. You rule breaker! tsk, tsk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Purple is my favorite color, so naturally anything you create with it will be my favorite! Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have done this as well...love the way yours has come out!
    another beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh so pretty Melanie! Loving the Copic tutorials too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH MY GOSH! Pur[le is my absolute favorite color. Even my bedroom fabrics are purple. Your card is absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to try it! I was fortunate to get into Paper Trey's Copic club so I have the colors! Whoopee! Thanks so much!

    KraftyChic

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummy violets! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a grandaughter who loves purple and I think she'll love this card as much as I do. I can't wait to try this with the few colors I have on hand. I'm not very good at shading but I'll try. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I rarely use purple. It's not that I don't liek it. I guess I just never think about it. You rocked it here! I think I'll try using it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh the purples are just so pretty!! And that nestie shape is my new fave right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have missed your blog! I have been so busy, that I haven't looked in almost a week! Great coloring tutorials!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)