Friday, January 30, 2009

Guest Designer Sankari Wegman

A little Q&A today with Sankari Wegman, her warmth, wit and passion for paper shines through in this interview, I know you'll love getting to know her better (and be inspired to go make something wonderful after...! ) You can see her first two creations with "The Best Things in Life set" here! (on her appropriately titled blog "Sunnysankari"!) :)


Technique: I think my favorite technique is paper piecing. It is such a simple, easy and quick way to add color, different DP's and texture to a card.
Colors/Color Combo: My favorite color ever is anything green (my closet is organized according to color and the green section is huge, sadly the yellow section needs a boost :) I think my favorite color combinations in card making are anything bright and cheery. I love playing around with bold bright colors

Type of Project to make that is not a card: I love to play around with the Every Day Display board that I got from Creative Memories last year. It hangs in our entry way and every month I change the display up according to the themes of that month )for example: Valentine's day, Birthdays, holidays, etc.) I love it when my kids help me put it together - they love being part of it and love to show it off to people as they come to visit out house. It such a great way for all of us to do a creative project together - I look forward to it every month :)

Gina K. set by Melanie - I love all of them! I think if I had to pick out a favorite, then it would have to be "Hand-in-Hand". I absolutely love the images and the sentiments are amazing and perfect. Both the images and sentiments are so versatile and fit every occasion.

Gina K set from any illustrator. I love the Retro-Boutique set by Rupa - it is so beautiful and her images are so beautiful.

Craft Supplies I can't live without: I love punches (I wish I had a room of punches :) My favorite are the Scallop Punch from SU! - You can create so many different things with this punch (not just for matting, from flowers, to cupcakes, to hearts - anything!) and my other favorite punch is the corner rounder :) It is such a simple little punch - but with it you can create a nice edging along with creating a scalloped border even if you don't have a scalloped punch - love that one supply can have more than one function.

I have been stamping now for a little over 9 months and I love it - I often wonder, why didn't I do this earlier!! I started stamping after checking out some blogs online. I was just amazed at the creativity that was out there and totally fell in love with the beautiful world of paper-crafting.

I get my inspiration from ... EVERYTHING! These days, everything I see - I think of it in terms of a card. From my children's clothing to the movies I watch - everything is inspiring. I was at the grocery store and I loved the way they stacked the oranges -- and I thought - wow, that would be a great idea for a card! I also love doing color and sketch challenges. Doing a challenge like that inspires me to create something that I might now have created by myself. A challenge like a sketch or color challenge gives you a boundary within which you have infinite creativity to design something that speaks to you. So within a finite value of the parameters of a challenge - you can touch infinity - that totally inspires me! I loved doing challenges so much that I created one of my own. I love watching movies while making cards and I always used to think: "wow, her dress would make such a pretty card" or "i love the lyrics in this movie - I want to make a card from it". This is how I got the idea for the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge blog site - where every saturday we pick a movie from which we create a card, layout or altered project. I absolutely love making a card based on a theme from a movie - because you can use any sketch, colors, etc to help you bring that theme alive on the card. I love seeing what others have created from the same movie and talking about our favorite parts of the movie. In doing so, I have learned so much about my blogging friends where they have traveled, how they fell in love with, where they were the first time they saw that movie, what that movie evokes for them, what the songs of those movies makes their heart feel - its really been a wonderful way to get inspired and to get to know my fellow blogging friends. It is so wonderful to be inspired by the world around you.

The most important things I’ve learned about stamping / cardmaking / scrapbooking
is that it affords us an opportunity to touch the hearts of someone else. Just making a card to give to someone is like sharing a part of you with that person. Through card-making, I have learned that just the act of giving someone a card is a simple way of showing your love, your support and gives you a chance to show them how important they are in your lives. Through scrapbooking, I have learned that preserving a moment in time through different layouts and journaling allow you to preserve that precious memory and share that memory with the ones you love. Through blogging, I have gotten to meet a ton of amazing artists with amazing stories who share so much of themselves and inspire me in my creations. I love connecting with all of my blog friends and feel like the world is a smaller, cozier and homier place to live in because of all YOU wonderful friends!

Some of my stamping/crafting goals are: To create something everyday (whether it be a card, project or altered item), to finish my daughter's one year album, to do challenges that I have not done before, to try a new technique every week, to use up what I already have, to have a relatively clean chaotic stamp corner, to get a better organizing system so that my stamp corner doesn't explode after every card I make :). I would also love to try my hand at designing some stamps! (wow - there, I said it out loud!)

Some of my stamping/crafting accomplishments are being a Supernova on the PaperCraftPlanet design Team. What an amazing and wonderful opportunity to e part of this amazing network created by Susanna Boyd. I was so blown away to be part of this amazing design team - I wasn't sure if I was in the right place when I saw the names of the supernovas!! WOW! Through PaperCraftPlanet I have enjoyed meeting more amazing blogging friends! My cards have been featured on Card of the Week, Inspirational, on Tara Reed's Design blog and a few picked by Kristina Werner. I am always so grateful for such recognition and blog awards from my fellow bloggers because it always amazes me that people actually come over to visit me :) The most wonderful part of blogging and crafting is that even though I live in a very small town in the heartland of the Midwest, I feel so connected with the whole world.

When I’m not stamping, I’m probably chasing around my 4 year old son and almost 2 year old daughter. I love reading with them, painting, going for walks (when its not freezing here in Iowa), and love watching them discover the world around them. I also teach physiology at the University and give lectures on health care. I love hanging out with my family and friends and laughing :) A perfect day would be lounging with my husband and kids, laughing and of course a little stamping too!!



Today the Cinema Saturday Challenge has some sneak peeks for you, every couple hours they will peek you some frames from the movie, it is up to you to guess the featured film for the challenge this weekend! They look hard, but someone always gets it (and reading the guesses is half the fun!) please go check em out! You can bet I'll be playing the challenge again this week, can't wait! :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, she has only been stamping for 9 months! What talent... Sankari has a definite eye for paper crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about Sankari. I think she's amazingly talented, and so glad to her teamed up with your stamps, Mel! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie! Thank you so much! I am just so humbled to be mentioned on your blog! You are such an inspiration to me! I love all of your beautiful art work and the way that you share your art and heart with others!!!

    Thank you sooooo very much!
    Can't wait to play more with your stamps!!

    Much love,
    Sankari :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still can't get over that Sankari has only been stampin' for 9 months. What a wonderful write up for such a sweet and well deserving girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...can't help but love Sankari!! What a sweetie and so deserving to be your guest Melanie! What a perfect combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Everyone,

    Oh my gosh, how scary is it that Valentine's Day has come round so fast! It only just feels as though Christmas was last week! Wow, I love your stamps! they are totally cool! I wish I had your talent for arts and crafts!! I have tried making my own cards in the past, but they just weren't good enough! I really resent giving my money to those big greetings card companies! (I won't name names!)but until I get the confidence to try and make my own cards again I may have found the perfect alternative solution! This all down to my lovely friend Alice. She sent me an e-Card for Christmas, (she was in New Zealand over the festive season) and I thought it was such a cool way to send greetings, I have now been converted! I spent ages looking on the internet doing some research, and found a fantastic website that has a
    Wide range of Valentine's Day e-Cards I am a big fan of this site and one of the best things about it is that it is totally free, so not only are you saving money on postage, but also on paper, so it is a great idea for the environment! They have a new range of Valentine's Day e-Cards with an added twist! They inject a bit of humor into Valentine's Day greetings! They have a cool application where you can upload a photo of yourself and incorporate it into the greetings! I just think it is a great way to make Valentine's Day much more light hearted! Just wanted to share my findings with you all! Hope you find this useful! Electronic greetings aren't for everyone, but I think they are definitely worth a try! I hope you all have a lovely Valentine's Day whatever you decide to get up to! Just make sure that you make all your plans in advance, the last thing you want is to be rushing around trying to sort everything out! Too much stress for my liking! Warm regards, Nic.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)