Monday, November 3, 2008

Versamark Watercoloring Tutorial

The PaperCraft Planet community has DOUBLED in size since I posted about the candy (not taking the credit for that, of course LOL!) I am excited to see so many familiar and new faces popping up over there! I had soem time to play around with the site over the weekend and have discovered lots of features aI really like and we have groups set up now for all your fave companies, be sure to enroll in those, too! (I'd love to have you add a friend request over there for me also when you join so we can be all networked together!) And, very important, make sure to leave a comment on the post below to be entered for the candy so you get as many entries as possible/as you've earned, tons of people have signed up I know that read about it here but haven't entered the candy! I'd love to have you add a friend request over there for me when you join so we can be all networked together!

Want to make it look like you "freehand" your watercolored images, no stamping? Stamp your image(this is that "frothy" bloom in "A Year of Flowers") in Versamark on Watercolor paper, you will be able to see a slight outline. Fill in and shade as you normally would your image, here I used the Peerless watercolors, working outward toward the tips in quick strokes, and I was thrilled to see how the color is absorbed the tiniest bit by the Versamark, see how it picks up some tiny detailed veins in the leaves and petals, as if I drew that in with a green marker? (I didn't!)

This first card shows it mounted on two layers of Chocolate Chip. Clean and simple.
The next card shows how I wanted to experiment with my new CB Bird call folder. After embossing the paper, I simply traced over these beautiful leaves of grass in quick strokes with my brush in Light Green. Isn't that gorgeous how the texture of the paper picks up those light and dark areas?? (BTW, I am lovin the look of just the grass so much, I will do this again and just add a greeting!)
Now here is my focal point mounted on top. Again, so fresh looking! I wanted to try one last thing, and that was to add a pop of color around the flowers with my Brilliant yellow by making an outline around the flowers, then working outward on my mat leaving a band to "box up" the image. Again, a very different look, both appeal to me in different ways.
Try this technique for yourself and have fun playing with the color. If you do, please let me know I'd love to see what you do! Have a great day!

PS Sneak peeks start a week from tomorrow for our next release!!! It's a big one (7 sets plus must have stampin' shtuff!!!), and FABULOUS at that!!

22 comments:

  1. GREAT tutorial- cannot wait to try this! Thanks SOOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. This gives watercoloring another looks. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I love watercolor images and I love how you incorporated the CB EF. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great technique! I seriously need that CB folder. Love your card!

    Congrats on being on the Paper Craft Planet DT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is BEAUTIFUL. I am going to try that out, just need more watercolor paper.(Oh, I'll just have to go shopping ;-))Thanks for the tutorial.
    I joined Paper Craft Planet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome technique! I would never have thought about this. I can't wait to try it! I recently joined Paper Craft Planet. I haven't had time to dig around in it much. But, I will soon!
    Adair
    asvoboda@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing us another great idea! and for giving me one more awesome reason to purchase some watercolour paper!!!

    I'm off now to check out Paper Craft Planet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smoke, that's a cool way to color!!!! I am SO gonna try that! Your cards are gorgeous, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so going to try this TODAY! I love this idea! It looks like you drew it! (of course, YOU probably could draw it :D)

    You were the Tutorial of the Week at Card of the Week.com. You can see the original post here.

    I did use a picture from your post, with links back to the site and the original post. I hope that is OK. Please feel free to email me if you need me to change anything.

    I also have an “I was featured” on badge for you if you want it :D

    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I can't wait to get off work so I can go home and try this!!! The CB idea is ingenious!!! Bummer my boss frowns on papercrafting at work :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything you do just makes my heart skip a beat (NO exaggeration!) This is insanely beautiful. Talk about pure artistic genius! I can't wait to try this out!!!!!! (can you tell I love your new technique madly?) heehee. Gorgeous colours. Love those flowers. I just did emboss resist on vellum with 'em. There are SO many ways to use them! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a fantastic tutorial! I cant wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm impressed ,what an awesome tutorial. Great possibilities,I can't wait to give it a go. Ty for sharing.
    lablady2007@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful card as always.

    not sure if you will see this but I tried to email you and it didn't go through to get the papercraft planet logo to add to my blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that is so great to know!!! I love to watercolor, and I've never heard of useing the Versamark. What a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!! :D
    dinobomp@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is an awesome idea that I can't wait to try! I am usually intimidated to do watercoloring but I think you made it look so easy and beautiful! Thanks, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is very cool! I need to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool tutorial! I will be trying this very soon.

    Joyce T

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to leave another comment on here, A because I'm crazy like dat, lol but mostly B because I can't get the amazingness of this out of my head!!!! Love it. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tutorial! I am going to try it with some violet stamps I have.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is so fabulous! love the look achieved - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)