Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Scalloped Silhouette

I was inspired by some cards (I saw at a recent festival) of real flowers, photographed from above, and printed on a plain black background, the contrast was just so eye-popping! I thought, " I can make that!" Additionally, I thought it would be fun to have a little reveal inside and make a window with my Scalloped Circle Nestabilitie and my stamped image from "A Year of Flowers" centered underneath. Doesn't that die look tailor-made for that image??

I made a 4 1/4" square card with my Basic Black CS and embossed a Classic Square border with my largest die. Next, I selected a Scalloped Circle slightly smaller than my daisy and cut in the center. Inside I have a 4" square mat with the daisy stamped in the middle and "blessings" at the bottom.
The daisy is colored with Peerless Watercolors (in Wisteria Purple, Brilliant Yellow and Deep Yellow), back in stock, yippee! I outlined the flower with a Prismacolor warm gray 20% marker to make it look more dimensional. The card front can be displayed the way you see it in the first pic in this post, or flipped over to show the white layer if you wish. (Personally, I love it both ways!)
Where can you write your message with this design? On the back, try an Inkssentials White Opaque pen to carry that black and white them through, also back in stock! (off to order one (or two) right now!) This design would also be so fresh and happy looking on white paper (but I've been using so much white lately I thought I'd change it up!) or with a coordinating or contrasting colored CS to go with the color of your bloom.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm off to check out Gina K's Guest Designer this month, come with me!!!

13 comments:

  1. what a fabulous card - I love the pop of the black and the flower through the window (can't even tell at first)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning design. This looks fabulous. Very unique and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the scalloped window. The embossed edges on the front make your card very elegant. I love that you can use it two ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE this! Great idea and I think I might try this for some holiday cards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful colors on this, Melanie!! It really pops!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful! Your flower positively glows. Love the scalloped window.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! The colors really pop. Now I just have to learn how to center my nestie...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wowwwwwwwww!!!!!!! That black absolutely does make the POP so dramatic!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how pretty! I love the contrast and the way this opens, Sheer brilliance. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat idea! Love the colour combination you used.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)