Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cracked Glass Ornament

Here's another ornament card with Gina K's "Warm & Cozy Christmas", I just can't stop making balls with these little kiddos, so I changed this design up by using a cracked glass technique that looks like so many of those fancy ornament finishes you see...


Stamp, color (I kept it really simple here, just a few colors), and cut out your image. Rub your Versamark pad all over the mat, then cover with Glassy Glaze or other Ultra Thick Embossing Powder and heat (it has super huge flakes, and I did a couple coats, too, to make it extra thick.) This pic shows before heating. After heating, you'll have a nice, smooth glossy finish (you can stop there if you're going for that look.)Then throw it in the freezer. Come back after awhile and give it a little bend. Is it cracking? It's ready, crack away 'til you like the look, can't crack no more, bend different directions to get those lines going every which way. If it's not cracking, put it back in the freezer. Here's a closeup to show the cracks. Cool, huh? It's a fun technique...
I also added some sateen flowers (one colored with a Red Cadmium Copic layered on a plain one) and made a little loop of Pure Luxury silver cord which I threaded though my hanger I made from punching a 1/2" circle, then a 3/4" circle around that, and glued to my round tab and threading water punch out. Yummy red ribbon is from the Pure Luxury Hoilday collection. Background is Cuttlebugged with the Snowflake folder.


I'm ready for some bundle-me-up weather (it was 92 here the other day) how 'bout you??

19 comments:

  1. yes - I want it to cool off already! love your ornament card, her white coat & red scarf are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable card Mel! That technique looks fun too...might have to try that!

    Yessss! So ready for it to cool off too! The nights are nice, but want it to stay that way alll day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! Great Christmas card idea! TFS all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracked glass adds such a cool look to an image. This looks fantastic. I just love how this came out. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this cracked glass aspect, it's so perfect for a Christmas ornament! And I love the redf and white kick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing how to crakle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous ornament. Cracked glass is one of my favorite techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great card. I haven't tried the cracked glass technique, but this makes me want to try it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! What a brilliant idea to crackle the ornament. LOVE it!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Waaaaaaaaay cool!! I've gotta try that as I only ever did once a long time ago. And it wasn't so purty!!! LOL

    We had SNOW today!!!!!!! Our high was 35* and I'm now sitting by the woodstove!!! Wanna come visit??? :)

    BTW girl.....e-mail me your snail mail addy, I lost it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A balmy 50 degrees and rain today. NOT my favorite kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet! It looks great.
    No, I'm good on cooler weather....drove thru a nice snow storm this weekend and the high was 48* today....but that's ok, it was much too hot the week before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally cute Melanie, and I am definitely ready for colder weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute - love your ornament idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute!! I love these colors, and your cracking looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I miss this entry? This s adorable! The ornament looks especially real with the cracked glass and awesome coloring job!

    Angelique

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE the cracked glass look. Now that glassy enamel stuff is on my list of things to buy. Super cute card.

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)