Saturday, October 18, 2008

Poinsettias Cubed

Asela's poinsettias make me think of color blocking with the divided leaves so I thought I'd create a color block/stained glass window look by framing a few with an outline (great way to vary the look of your stamps with a shaped frame as though it's part of the stamped image!) and some simple coloring. I only matted it once on Ruby red before attaching it to my base, but doesn't that outline make it look like I've got 4 or 5??


I started tracing the inside of my Classic Square Nestabilite die with a pen (using a similar width as the line in the image, this is an .03 milimeter Prismacolor)
Netx I masked in three posinsettias and colored the leaves with Copics, Red Cadmium, Coral and Yellow Green for the centers. I really liked the "sleekness" of the finished card above, but decided I'd try some Cuttlebugging with Floral Screen through both layers to give it a textured glass or quilted look, shown below.
I like 'em both, but prefer the top, I'm kind of into simpler-looking things lately), but really appreciate all the work it looks like you must have done when embossing a pattern over a colored image like this! ;) Love that Cuttlebug!!

13 comments:

  1. These are both great but I especially love the top one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome. Love them both. TFS the wonderful tip about adding an outline -- it really look terrific. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love simple too and your cards are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More gorgeousness! I love them both, but prefer the top. Very elegant cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these cards are beautiful!! I love them both!

    I gravitate towards the first card. But, I love the second one, because, it would cause me to look at it longer, admire it and touch it. I think everybody loves texture:) JMHO Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like them both- they are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weirdly enough I think I like the Cuttlebugged one better. probably because it is more unexpected to have this kind of thing going on with a stamp image on top of it. Love those colors too. :-)♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, clean poinsettia design. I really love the way the three flowers look against the white background. I wanted to make a request, maybe no one else would care, but I was sparked by that gorgeous card you made of the blend of the different flowers in your Year of Flowers set. I was wondering if you could tell us what all the flowers are and then over time give us you interpretation of each. I love that set and feel it is really timeless, but would love to see what your interpretation is, and even if I just know the names of the flowers and the leaves I could look them up. I hope I am not being too demanding or wishful or what ever. Thanks for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the stained glass look......very pretty!! And I agree........LOVE my 'bug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing how you made your beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous Melanie, I love the one with the embossing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Melanie and great tip using the nestablilites as a guide for an outline!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loveliness! And it's great to see the two versions. I couldn't choose a fave for the life of me; they're both perfect! :O)

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)