Sunday, October 19, 2008

DIY Coneflowers

I love this daisy, but I'm excited to change it up every once in a while by inking up just the center and petals below it (here with a journaler so it doesn't bleed when I do my watercoloring)
... to create coneflowers! I went back in with my Peerless Watercolors on watercolor paper, using a little Sepia Brown on the center and Wisteria Purple on the petals. As you can see I worked quickly and a bit sloppily to give it a more painterly look. "You're in my prayers" is from "Say it With Flowers".

I don't know WHY my ribbon looks so dark here, but it's Artichoke to match the Always Artichoke layer under the watercolor paper. Lavender Lace is my other color CS, a nice match for that purple when it's this diluted. EDITED TO ADD: To paint some easy blades of grass, start at the bottom with your brush and give it a quick pull UP. This will make it thick at the bottom and thin at the top. :)

I hope you enjoy this easy option when inking up your flowers! Any other varieties hiding in the set... ? We'll see! Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. This looks so classic and carefree - beautiful as always

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a creative idea! And I love the card too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so beautiful Melanie and yoy are so creative to make a daisy into a coneflower! Love your muted colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. I like the "lazy" water coloring you did. I just love your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty card!! Very clever turning the daisy into a cone flower! I love your beautiful watercoloring!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing how to paint grass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORgeous!!! I never would have thought to make coneflowers from a daisy........but they're sooooo perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The card is gorgeous- your painting is FABULOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your watercoloring is amazing. love your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fabulous idea! I love the card. Beautiful colors and layout. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... You are soooo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! Oh MY GOODNESS! I just adore this! Brilliant as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Melanie. I love that you keep giving us information about this set! It is the only stamps set that has its own tag in my google reader!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouuuuu! So very very VERY lovely. Brilliant variation on that sweet daisy and I have to try and imitate your painterly look, because it is a DROOLFEST! Thanks for all the pointers. Pure genius as usual! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh - this is marvelous, dahling...I wanna see the other 'hidden' flowers!! talk about getting more mileage out of these stamps! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW this card is gorgeous!! I love coneflowers, so I especially love this. You are so stinkin' clever, I would never have thought of using the daisy stamp like this!!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)