Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ambrosia Flowers



I'm been so focused on my watercolors and single layers lately, I've forgotten all about putting my "Year of Flowers" with DP for you! So here's a card which one of my "most favoritest" papers from the Basic Grey Ambrosia pack (I'd have a whole outfit made from this print if I could!), I love the way these flowers look with the swirls and flourishes in the paper! I stamped them in Basic Gray ink (masking one flower) to match my paper (I adore this color combo!!), and then colored them with them warm matching hues in my Peerless pad. Now click on the pic: see the distressed look of the paper I stamped my flowers on? I am happy to report I used one of the "solid" color papers from this pack to stamp on and the colors blended on it like a dream, no pilling! And I didn't have to age the paper it looks like some gorgeous old tile or fresco wall, I love it!!

I don't have a Basic Gray marker, so I traced a square border around them with my Nestie die and a pencil (good match), making my border smaller than my layout to have one frilly bloom spilling out over onto my pattern. Mat and base is Ruby Red. I just love this "square on a square" layout, so simple, so elegant. Tip: All borders are 1/8" on this, my favorite size for a border. I typically keep the sizes consistent for all layers on my card, unless there is a layer I really want to draw attention to, in which case I'd make it bigger, or one layer to recede, then it'd be smaller...) The finished card measures 5X5, so I'll need to put this one in a large envelope*

Have a glorious day!!!


*I don't think I can part with this card actually, it just makes me happy...(unless someone wants to publish it that is, then I will happily mail it out LOL!!)

19 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for not parting with that one. Do you keep a scrapbook of your own designs? I do, but it only has 12 pages so far! Well, I am trying, ok? Most of them I send away to deserving folks. IF you ever decide to part with this one or even a copy, THINK OF ME! lol I must get some of that paper come payday! I love everything I see done on it. Linda Crowder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super pretty, Mel! Hoarde that Ambrosia paper because it's out of stock everywhere! We've been waiting for weeks for it to come back into stock at the store and I haven't seen it anywhere locally either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the bold colors! I like how you traced around your nestie too, I never would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm sure a magazine would be more than happy to publish it. Those colors are stunning, and I agree, it makes you happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty, I don't blame you for keeping it but can certainly see a magazine publishing this beauty! I love that paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is gorgeous! don't blame you for not wanting to part with it! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the background paper. I agree it would make a great outfit. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful card. Your flowers look like they were meant for that beautiful Basic Grey paper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is Gorgeous Mel! Love your coloring and it just goes perfect with the paper, thats hard to do to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just beautiful! You have inspired me to go further with this great set. So many gorgeous cards to try. Love the colours and the dp you matched them to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd publish it in a heartbeat! Assuming I had a magazine that it. It's SO stunning. I love the way you paint colour and the paper is dreamy. Those blooms look so gorgeous masked. WOW! Pure gorgeousness! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yes, that is beautiful. I would like an outfit made of it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMGosh Mel..........this card should be published ASAP!!!!!!! But then........you do not make a card that "shouldn't" be published my friend!!!! This is just another example of tropical floral beauty!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I LOVE how bright and happy this is! I love how you drew the frame around the flowers. . .it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous card, Melanie! I've seen several people who just love this BasicGrey paper. I don't have it yet, but I definitely want it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well no wonder this card makes you happy, it's GORGEOUS!!! Love the vibrant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think you should part with it!!! I say frame it!! It is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)