Friday, October 31, 2008

Sunny Simplicity

This was a very simple card, but I love how the simplicity of the rest of the card makes the sunflower go "BAM!" I stamped it in Basic Brown in the middle of an "Alli medallion", then colored with my peerless watercolors. Sorry, no step by step pics when I colored this one, (I'll do another) but I went over the whole thing with Brillant Yellow, then dabbed in Orange Yellow to the back row of petal and the top row, close to the center, then pulling out toward the edge to blend. Both browns in the pad were used for the middle, and I concentrated my darker color to the lower left. For a shadow casting off the flower's center, I added just a bit of green around the left side, then outlined the whole flower with my Prismacolor Warm Grey 20% marker. I love that tiny bit of Leafy Branch at the bottom, and the tied olive ribbon just screams big old leafy stem!

Happy Halloween! (yesterday was crazy and I did NOT get our Halloween favors photographed; that's okay, we had fun making them , but they weren't going to win any prizes!) Be safe tonight!

16 comments:

  1. another winning flower for all times! great coloring.
    debinicol at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it absolutely POPS and I love the elegant leaf embossing in the corner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, your right, the sunflower really pops against the white. I love the ribbon treatment and the cb ef too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love the simplicity of this card! BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice card. I like the clean crisp look. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, somehow the simpler cards are often the more stunning ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunningly gorgeous. What a beautifully understated, but yet elegant card. You're creativity is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the simplicity of the card. I agree it makes the flower pop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Mel! Love how you colored the sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful, love the embossing:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO gorgeous! I love the colour against the white, so fresh & lovely and the ribbon. Yummy! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. sweet card...I like simple the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is simply stunning! How rich and regal your flower is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this card -- how did you do the leaf embossing in the corner? I am just getting a big shot and don't know a thing about embossing using it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)