Sunday, January 18, 2009

One Sheet Wonder Purse Gift Set

Here is a gift set of monogrammed cards in an altered tote I made for *someone* (hmmm, GK, who could it be...?) this past Christmas, I've been meaning to share the pics with you for quite awhile now! (I haven't had a chance to make anymore hand in hand samples like I thought for now because I have been so busy creating things for our release this week with this month's new Gina K stamps. So I hope this tutorial holds you over until the peeks start tomorrow night at midnight!!) :)
The square wooden tote I found at EDITED TO ADD: MICHAEL'S, not hobby Lobby, sorry about that!) for $1.99 (30% off, 2.99 is still a steal!) :). It opens up and has a little gold clasp. I LOVE that funky bamboo handle it came with, allows it to go a little more double-duty as a purse rather than just a box when the person is finished sending out the cards! :) The space inside was perfect for holding some square cards. I rubbed the edges with Gold metallic paste the same way I did this box.
Then I created a One Sheet Wonder with my "A Year of Flowers" by stamping the rose all over a piece of Gina K Pure Luxury 80 lb CS and embossing with Gold EP. Looking pretty fancy already! (well actually I made TWO, one for the four cards, the other for the front and back up the tote)

I went around the edges of my cut up one sheet wonder with my gold paint pen. One sheet yielded four 4" mats for four square cards.

Then I sponged on some of this Antique Linen Distressing Ink all over it, it's such a buttery "shabby" color! I made some areas intentionally darker than others.

Here I attached the mats to the bases. Two sheets of Gina K 120 lb Pure Luxury CS gave me four square 4.25" card bases. I just love this ivory, gold and white combo. I created a white on white double mat, also edged with my gold paint pen, for the GK monogram which I stamped with my Just Rite Times Roman Alpha and embossed with Gold EP. If you scroll back up to the first pic, you will see I used a slightly different layout for each, changing the placement of the monogram, and where I added my 5/8"SU! ivory grosgrain, I love em all, couldn't choose just one (and that allows the recipient to have some variety, too)
I decorated the front and back of the tote to match. You can see here I also decided to add a bit more texture by stamping the retired oldie but goodie SU! "French Script" over the flowers, that always adds a touch of elegance!

I wish I'd remembered to upload the inside of the tote, which was also decorated (hopefully they are still in my camera.) I lined the inside with some beautiful shimmery white-gold paper called "Autumn Hay Glimmer" from Paper Temptress and embossed the sentiment, "A friend is a hand always holding yours, no matter how close or how far apart you may be".

Almost time for a peek, I can only say my newest set celebrates all the best things in life!

33 comments:

  1. love it - you are always coming up with the coolest ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Melanie...this is absolutely gorgeous! I love the gold on white, then distressed with ink! Beautiful, just beautiful! What a treasure for Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific idea. Love it and it looks amazing and it doesnt look to difficult to make. Will have to try this one. Thanks. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful project! TFS! Can't wait for the sneak peeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful gift - I love it! You are sooooooo talented.I have never seen those at Hobby Lobby but I will have to look for them. My neighbor has a birthday coming up and she loves cards and purses, soooooo what a great gift idea. Thanks, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous!!! Gina is very lucky to have received this set. :)

    Thank you for the tutorial. As always, it was very informative and the pictures were great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. What a wonderful gift (add me to your list :-) ). We don't have Hobby Lobby - I'm bummed - but I'll have to ask my sister to watch for this. What a wonderful project...can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I just love the flowers and that purse is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! I'm sure "whoever" GK is....she will love it! This would be a fabulous project for our girls nights.

    Looking forward to the sneak peeks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful! Very classy, just like the lady herself.

    Now give us the peeks!!! ;-) We want the peeks!!! I stayed up late and have already spotted 2 out there.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful, what a wonderful gift! Very elegant! Can't wait for the "peeks"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice gift and perfect rose at the top :) Best Regards from me Monika

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man you've been just crankin' out the most amazing creations while I was swamped with VSN!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! That is a GORGEOUS set!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is absolutely gorgoeus!!
    I loved it!
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is really gorgeous, and looks pretty simple, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Melanie -- how gorgeous! A great idea for me to do for my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Came out beautiful! bet she adores it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful set! What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, it's beautiful! Wish we had a supplier up here, I would try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love it! i actually am trying to do the same thing w.a cigar box :) im going about it the hard way... i gotta sand down the box and paint it yet, add the handle and clasp and then decorate :) its cool to see your take on it... i promise i wont copy ya! (i already have gray and 'euculiptus' colored paint for it so dont worry haha) keep it up with the good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cant tell you how much I love this project Its one of the prettiest I've seen
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is so neat. i have never used that distressed ink. i like it how it made the paper look so different.
    and the "tote" is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mel,This tote and cards are way cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful little purse/card holder. It is so Elegant. Love the bamboo type handles on it with the gorgeous gold and antique ink you added. Just Devine!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope that I am not repeating my post. I think that the gift you made is stunning! I have been wanting to buy that very same item at Micahels but haven't becuase I had no idea what I would be able to put iside of it. Well I'll be darned. Cards! What a concept. :) Thank you very much for sharing your idea and design.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. :0) that is so nice...


    reflections:0)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! What a wonderful gift!!
    It'ssumptious and rich and VERY well created. It's ACE!
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)