Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Melanie's Tote Tutorial!

Ready to make my bag, baby?? LINK this tutorial for an EXTRA entry in my blog candy, (because I worked really hard on this!) Just let me know by putting linking in the coment section on today's post, thanks! :) And if you make your own, please let me know, I'd love to see!

Here we go: First, you need a FABULOUS piece of DP, and a piece of coordinating CS! For a treat bag, use 4 1/4 X 12, for a card 4/14 X 8 1/2(standard A2 size) For a card, score at 6", for a treat bag, score at 5 1/2 " and 6 1/2". The rest of the tutorial will show making the treat bag(which is more difficult since you have the space in the middle (from the 2 scores)you can't just fold and cut through all 4 layers like you can with a card. (So basically all the steps have to be repeated after finishing one side.) You don't have to have a Scor-Pal for this project, but "you'll score like never before!" (It was just bliss being able to pop that scoring blade out of my cutter the day this beauty arrived, I am cutting my 12x12 now like nobody's business!)
Lay the DP on top of your CS,and put your circle Coluzzle template on top of that. The outside track will line up with both the left and right side. Slide the template down so the top of the 4th track in(outside the circle you are about to cut) meets the top edge (for the outside of the handle), and cut all the way around in the 5th track in(red) for the inside of the handle, through both layers. Take your snips and cut out the circles. Lay the sheets back down and cut JUST the top half of next track OUTSIDE your cut circle(4th one in, green).

Pull your DP off, place the template back down on JUST the DP this time lining up with what you just cut, and finish off the circle. Take your snips and cut this circle out (This all needed to be removed so your brown circle handle can show through)
Now snip off one corner of the CS at an angle to the edge of the handle. Take the scrap piece, flip, and lay it on the other side. Cut around this scrap to make the other side of the bag symmetrical.

Lay your DP on it and trim up to match.
To make the bottom of the bag, cut out a piece at a slant on the right side, flip and place on the left and cut. Now do ALL of these steps on the other side to make the back of the bag(see how it would have been easier to just fold in the middle and go through all the layers?!) The middle will now be extending out from either side. Cut the pieces off straight.
Adhere your DP to the CS and fold. If there are any places your two pieces of paper don't align exactly trim them up with your snips to make a clean edge.
You can attach the top with a brad, eyelet, magnet or velcro closure. Here I just tied the handles together with a piece of grosgrain. I used a little SU! metallic cord and a Gina K Dazzle & Bling tag around the handles, and will add a greeting later when I decide what I want to do with it! Slide in your treat bag, using a little tape to keep it in place.

This is as close as I will ever come to designing with "fabric"! Now that's a talent I'd like to have, anybody watching Project Runway?! Season finale Wed 9CST! Now THAT is a talent I wish I had, (it'll never happen, though, I hate to measure, and that is KIND OF important for sewing!) I just can't wrap my brain around how they can create an entire OUTFIT in the time I can make a card!! (but no matter)

I like to work without a pattern so I just "free cut" my edges, but I AM tracing the purse, though, and adding it to the forum so you can just print and cut if you don't have a Coluzzle or feel comfortable designing the shape, (but it's FUN, you can get really different looks by making a little more bottom heavy, etc. )

I am so freakin' tired, can you tell?? I'll probably be back to edit this if I read later with a clearer mind and find something's not making sense! (my son is home sick for the second time this week, first with a stomach virus, now with an ear infection-ughh!!) More later!!

TIP: When you're making a long tutorial with lots of pictures(like this!), put a punched circle with the number of your step in the corner(not seen here, I figured this out from experience today, grrr!), this makes it easier to upload and order the photos and for people to see the steps(yes, I'll be doing this NEXT time!)
PS Hey, did anybody check out Maria's interview? Sorry if I wasn't clear in my teaser and you thought it was only personal stuff about me* But there might be dirt on my new release, did you think of that? Go check to see if I spilled the beans!!
PPS The munchy for today is in the scissor post! Don't forget to comment for blog candy! candy deets BTW, I am laughing over how I (unintentionally!) confused some people regarding the "Carolyn" hint. It's not on her blog! It's not small flowers!!
* and if the personal stuff wasn't juicy enough for you, what would you like to know? Fire away, maybe I'll tell you! I reserve the right to say"No comment!" :)

69 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I totally love this. You are flippin' brilliant my friend!

    Sorry you've got sick little ones at home, that makes for long days, and even longer nights!

    Wishing him a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tutorial that was easier then I thought it would cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. I gotta get a scor-pal. I can't wait for the sneak peaks to begin!!!!
    ~ jess k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial...very cute project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this tote and can see all sorts of neat things in it for my mom for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I love the bag and the paper you used. Stunning!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial. So many uses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie; You have the most awesome tutorial's and ideas! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melanie,
    That is gorgeous! And you do make it look very do-able! Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely!! I will definitely be downloading a template as I don't have a coluzzle and I can't cut a circle freehand at all! But hubby did say I could get a Scor Pal!! :) And I'm starting to formulate an idea maybe about your new set??! Possibly!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooops........forgot to say....LOVED the interview!!! Another little hint....yep, some idea is definitely forming.....but I'm probably waaaaaaay off base as usual!! LOL OH!! and YEP!! I love Project Runway......tonite's the finale!!! If I had even close to any of that talent......plus size clothes would look goooooooooooooooooooood!!! LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous treat bag and tutorial! Thanks, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh My Gosh! What a cute tote!!!! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leaving a comment on day #2! Love the purse tutorial by the way. Mary Pickett

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG I love this purse. It's sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My little one is home sick today too. I'm posting comment #2 'cause I'm linking to this beautiful purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I LOVE this tote, thank you thank you for the tutorial! I am going to attempt to make this and if it comes close to looking like a bag I will post it and send you the link...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just adorable. Great tutorial. Thank you so much for showing us! :) Kel

    ReplyDelete
  19. I gotta try this bag. Project Thursday! Thanks for taking the time for a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your all linked up!!! I am off to try this out for myself..Thanks for sharing such a beautiful project and taking all the guess work out for us.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I plan to try one this weekend for sure...if I can find my coluzzle in the midst of my "creative" mess!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome tutorial. I am going to have to get that score pal. I also need a circle coluzzle too. My wishlist just keeps getting longer and longer. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  23. cute purse. Glad i followed a link to your blog.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE LOVE LOVE the bag! Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to see that new set!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute tote, love it! Thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LINKING!

    I set up a link to this page on my blog.
    http://moosisk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. hmmmm I just looked at the interview... I can't decide if it's food related (cuppa, dish) or girl related (Girl Power, revolutionary, get your groove on). Whatever it is I'm sure we'll all LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ohhhhh I love it!

    Hope your son is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Linked it to my blog. I am going to try and make this. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for taking the time to post it and all that goes with posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great tutorial, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. ok... my computer or internet is giving me a hard time so this might be my second comment today... great tutorial... must try it soon... sorry about the little guy... it's no fun... don't have a clue yet about the new set... can't wait though...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for the tote tutorial. I'm definitely going to try this one! Hope your kids are all well soon & that you don't catch anything either!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is sooo cool! I'd love to try it. Man, I wish I had that Coluzzle circle template. Could there be another way to do it? And that patterned paper is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is awesome!!!!!!! I just got my Scor-Pal last Friday and haven't had the chance to play with it that much yet. I've gotta try this. . .but I don't have a Coluzzle so I'll have to think of something else for the handle.

    I'm linking, too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I linked this one too. I realy like this idea and the paper really seems to "make" it! Thanks for sharing the details!

    My kids have been sick too, I'm sorry for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I made your tote and well it doesn't compare to yours that is for sure! Check it out at www.paperaskew.blogspot.com
    Thanks
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am not sure, saying that there is no animal leaves it to accessories, or people, but people can be animals too, so maybe it is flowers or swirls, or accessories. Time will tell and I am pretty sure we will all love them!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I loved your tote-orial, hahaha, I crack myself up! But seriously, this was so fun and fairly easy to make, although I think your providing a pattern is a great idea and very sweet of you to offer. It's gonna be much easier the next time around! Gotta check out mft's release party now, bye!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a great tutorial! And that bag could be on a runway! :D

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great tote.

    Christian won Project Runway...hmph...NOT my choice. LOL Guess they didn't ask me eh??

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is just the cutest thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  42. All right -that is SO CUTE! I might have to find a little time tomorrow during nap time to make one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for the tutorial - will have to find some other way to cut a circle than the compass and craft knife idea!!

    Will be thinking about this and may come up with something. Will let you know if I do.

    Linking

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a cute little bag - thanks for the tutorial..
    /Tina F.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE this tutorial...finally got a chance to make one of my own! I like this one...but can't wait to get my NEW GinaK stamps to make some more!! :-)

    http://stampwithjana.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-favorite-things-are-new-stamps.html

    Huggs,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love, love, LOVE the bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh, Melanie ... This is too cute. I am definately going to try it once you post a template; but, even then, I'm not sure mine will even come close to yours!! Yours is AWESOME!!

    Could you tell us who makes the paper you used? It is BEAUTIFUL!!

    Thanks again, Mel... Hope your son feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I made a card tote and a treat tote last night. They're on my blog if you want to see them :wink:

    ReplyDelete
  49. Linking, Linking...... take a look I did post your tutorial link on my post today..... hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love this tote! I'm printing that tutorial now! Thanks for all you share. I just LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  51. You are a rock star...in four years, when I get this latest batch of assignments done, I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have to make a gift card holder for my daughter for a birthday party next week! Definitely going to use this tote tutorial! TFS! Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  53. Fantastic tutorial, Melanie! That bag is sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh My GAWD! This is awesome! Frickin' brilliant! I am totally linking this for my blogettes! WOW WOW WOW...

    ReplyDelete
  55. WOW!! Awesome bag and can not wait to make. Very nice directions. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  56. What an AWESOME project! I wanted to let you know that you're the featured tutorial artist over on Card of the Week.com -- thanks for sharing!

    Check it out: http://www.cardoftheweek.com/2008/04/tutorial-tuesda.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. You are always SO amazing. Your work blows my mind! :0) mel

    ReplyDelete
  58. I want the template for this FAB Purse! Please link me up with your forum you sassy girl. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  59. wonderful tutorial! love the tote!

    ReplyDelete

Your generous feedback helps make my work and this blog better! Thanks for inspiring and motivating me! :)